Cochrane and Moosonee Event August 2009

Connie&Keith

Here is some information on a double event we are hosting in Cochrane and Moosonee during the August long weekend. Still working on some of the finer details, but in the mean time, please ask questions and book your vacations!

Bear it all in Cochrane & Wachay @ the Bay!

WHEN: Long weekend August 1-3rd 2009

WHAT: This is a unique one time event for adventurous geocachers ( 2 events actually)

Wachay is a Cree greeting and the Bay refers to James Bay

Get yourself to Cochrane Ontario ( www.town.cochrane.on.ca ) for Saturday August 1,2009 for a special geocache event . Bear it all in Cochrane. Lots of new local caches will be available in the Cochrane area in time for the event.

While there, visit the Cochrane Polar Bear Habitat and Heritage Village. www.polarbearhabit.ca Take a short drive to see the Gardiner Ferry, one of the last cable ferries in Ontario. Have a Timmies in the town that was home to Tim Horton, take a swim in Lake Commando in the centre of town, or in the new pool at the Tim Horton Events Centre.

Spend the night in Cochrane, several local hotels and B&B’s to choose from. ( Camping is available at Green Water Provincial Park ½ hour out of town) and board the Polar Bear Express train www.northlander.ca on Sunday August 2nd for a historic ride on the rails to Moosonee ON. Ontario Northland's Polar Bear Express connects residents of the coastal communities of Moosonee and Moose Factory to Cochrane and is one of North America's last remaining "flag stop" train services.

As well, the Polar Bear Express offers visitors from around the world an opportunity to connect with Canadian history, Aboriginal culture and the landscape of the North.

This old-fashioned rail excursion travels 186 miles between Cochrane and Moosonee, including over the Moose River - through Ontario's most pristine and spectacular scenery.

During the summer, the Polar Bear Express features a full dining car in in addition to a snack car. Take in the scenic view from the popular dome car, which features windows that round up towards the ceiling and allow you to take in the most of the majestic environment; and, your ride aboard the Polar Bear Express would not be complete without a stop in the entertainment car to enjoy live music! (licensed car).

The summer train also has a family car, with family-friendly movies, children’s games and crafts - all coordinated and supervised by Polar Bear Express travel counsellors.

Once arriving in Moosonee join us for the event “Wachay @ the Bay”, on the shores of Canada’s only inland sea. We will travel by boat to the shores of James Bay for a traditional picnic. . (Note: There will be a Water Taxi fee to get to the event site, but we are currently looking into funding to make this free for cachers). This adventure is family friendly and there will be kids’ activities available as well. There will be lots of local caches available in Moosonee and on Moose Factory Island to help pass the time while waiting for your train home on Monday. Smoked geese, bannock, fossil hunting, fur trade history, a chance to see belugas, seals osprey, and bald eagles-- just a few of the great things offered by the James Bay Lowlands! The long weekend is usually the final weekend of GOOP (Gathering of Our People) on Moose Factory Island, a Cree Cultural Festival full of rich traditions.

You can budget for this event by checking out these websites for travel and accommodation costs

www.polarbearhabit.ca

http://www.cochrane-on.worldweb.com/

www.northlander.ca

www.moosonee.ca

http://www.jamesbayfrontier.worldweb.com/M...ee/WheretoStay/

www.town.cochrane.on.ca

We will update the forums as events continue to unfold. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. Pencil this on your calendar today.

As weather changes quickly on the James Bay coast remember to pack accordingly. Rain gear and warm sweaters are a must!

It's been a long time since I lived up there, gotta be 26 years I think. I lived 150 miles south of James Bay or so it was always told to me by my parents. Lived in a small Ontario Hydro community on the Abitibi river. I made the Moosonee/Moose Factory/ Polar Bear Express trip once when I lived up there and loved it. Actually have the canoe carving I bought while I was there sitting right on my bookcase right now. I am going to try my hardest to make this event too. I'd love to see all the changes.

It's been a long time since I lived up there, gotta be 26 years I think. I lived 150 miles south of James Bay or so it was always told to me by my parents. Lived in a small Ontario Hydro community on the Abitibi river. I made the Moosonee/Moose Factory/ Polar Bear Express trip once when I lived up there and loved it. Actually have the canoe carving I bought while I was there sitting right on my bookcase right now. I am going to try my hardest to make this event too. I'd love to see all the changes.

There was a big reunion of the Abitibi community a couple of years ago. I have been there several times, even got a tour of the hydro dam. It is so massive! and very old! Most of the community buildings are now gone, and only a couple of homes remain. Computers have taken over. There is an amazing waterfalls beyond Abitibi Canyon called New Post Falls. It is kind of a secret little hidden treasure, very hard to find, but worth the trek in. It is on a waterway provincial park. (or believe me, I would have a cache there).

Hope to see you this summer!

Is there a special train running that Sunday as the Northlander site says the Polar Bear Express doesn't run Saturdays or Sundays? Just trying to work out all the logistics on this one as I really want to make it to this event. I miss living up there and kinda wish that I never would have had to move.

Hi, the train will be running up and down (Cochrane to Moosonee, RETURN,) every day except Saturdays. I have called to confirm that. The Polar Bear Express is the SAME train as the Little Bear for those reading old train schedules.

Any further updates on this. I just cleared it with TPTB here at home that I can go to this event.

We are working away at the finer details now with local agencies to be involved.

The Niska Inn is reported to be closing, so if you want to book accommodations in Moosonee, you should do it sooner then later, since there aren't many places to stay as it is.

The event page will be up and running soon on the geocaching site. I promise!