Request for add'l data in GPX: Logged Visits

ePeterso2

I was trying to write a GSAK macro to do a particular type of analysis of some local cache data, and I wanted to use the counts of the number of finds of each type. However, since not all of the find logs are exported in the GPX file for a cache, I thought it might be summarized somewhere else in the GPX since the summary is on the cache page. However, I didn't see it ... did I just miss it?

I was expecting to see something sorta like this ...

<Groundspeak:logged_visits>
 <Groundspeak:logged_visits_entry>
	  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_type>Found It</Groundspeak:logged_visits_type>
	  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_count>88</Groundspeak:logged_visits_count>
	  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_last_date>2008-07-13T19:00:00</Groundspeak:logged_visits_last_date>
 </Groundspeak:logged_visits_entry>
	  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_type>Didn't find it</Groundspeak:logged_visits_type>
	  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_count>27</Groundspeak:logged_visits_count>
	  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_last_date>2008-08-14T19:00:00</Groundspeak:logged_visits_last_date>
	  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_type>Write note</Groundspeak:logged_visits_type>
	  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_count>12</Groundspeak:logged_visits_count>
	  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_last_date>2008-0-14T19:00:00</Groundspeak:logged_visits_last_date>
</Groundspeak:logged_visits>

Or, somewhat more simply:

<Groundspeak:logged_visits>
  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_entry type="Found it" count="88" last_date="2008-08-17T19:00:00" />
  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_entry type="Didn't find it" count="27" last_date="2008-07-17T19:00:00" />
  <Groundspeak:logged_visits_entry type="Write note" count="12" last_date="2008-04-01T19:00:00" />
</Groundspeak:logged_visits>

Is that data available somewhere in the GPX file? If not, could TPTB (please) add it?

Thanks,

-eP

Very nice. I'd like that.

Now since you are asking for new extensions to the GPX format, then how about an attricute to signify that a cache is a Premiumk Members only cache?

And since you mentioned a web page feature, then how about doing the same summary for Travel bugs. I mean, how many retrieved it logs, how many grabbed it logs, how many placed logs, how many note logs...

I had asked for this a LOOONG time ago, ever since that feature was added for cache pages. Well my searching has only found an 11 month old request, not the 19 months that would be right when that cache page feature was added.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=184785

I can understand why there is a cautious wait to determine if requests may be valid. I would imagine that there are innumerable requests for nearly as many imaginable ideas. However, with regards to .gpx containing more information and seemingly few advancements being done in comparison with requests, one has to ask ...Why not?

Is it protectionism? Is it fear of the unknown? Is it lack of manpower? Expense?

I'm sure there is no lack of programming talent out there either in or out of the Groundspeak confines. I know I've read in the past that GS doesn't care for the offline databasing advancements, which I dont get. If it's a security risk or something of that nature, well then there are like I said many great programmers available as well as the use of copyright laws.

I love geocaching, I really do! And I'll support it for a long time yet to come. It's so much fun and frustration all rolled into one, but it's agonizing to patiently watch for the minor and only occacsionally slightly larger advancements on the website.