Cache thief!

9Key

We've had a few episodes of caches disappearing as well as the opposite--caches being posted by a sockpuppet to make people look when there is nothing there. Several of my caches have been taken and I suspect another cacher. I was able to figure out the culprit with one cache because they took a couple of travel bugs which were later placed in other caches (they didn't log the travelers but did sign the cache logs which made the link clear).

It is upsetting to have a cache stolen, especially by another cacher. I can't think of anything constructive to do about it, though. When stuff like this happens I try to remind myself that this is a game, cheating is common in games, and our best defense is to encourage a community of cachers who help one another.

While I understand your comparison, I don't agree. Geocaches are* placed with statements that they are game pieces. They request that the game pieces be placed back where they were found. They give a website for more information and, hopefully, the username and a contact email or phone number of the CO. A bicycle (or hat or toy or whathaveyou) has no such statement and can be considered "abandoned" or "lost".

I'm still in agreement that a request to report a stolen cache would receive a blank stare in most cases.

* are = should be

I don't disagree with your statement, however I have my doubts as to local codes in a given area being supportive of the concept. I also have my doubts that just any piece of paper taped to the inside of an ammo can would carry any weight in most courts. Your experience may be different, I'm only making presumptions, but here's how I imagine the situation playing out (using the bicycle and some creative licence...):

ME: Officer, my bicycle has been nabbed by a villain most foul!

LEO: Do tell! From whence did the scoundrel abscond with your mechanical steed?

ME: Why right out from under that bush in yon park!

LEO: You left your beloved two-wheeler under a bush in the park?

ME: As surely as a bear does use the great out-of-doors as their personal latrine I did! Fear not, for it had a piece of paper attached to it with my email address and cell phone number! I shall obtain justice from the soot-covered hand of evil!

LEO: [looking away nervously] I think I hear my dispatcher summoning me to a meth lab raid... Anon!

There's a good question- does anybody have any actual real-world experience with stolen caches and using the legal system to get resolution? That's what we really need here is some actual history.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I don't disagree with your statement, however I have my doubts as to local codes in a given area being supportive of the concept. I also have my doubts that just any piece of paper taped to the inside of an ammo can would carry any weight in most courts. Your experience may be different, I'm only making presumptions, but here's how I imagine the situation playing out (using the bicycle and some creative licence...):

ME: Officer, my bicycle has been nabbed by a villain most foul!

LEO: Do tell! From whence did the scoundrel abscond with your mechanical steed?

ME: Why right out from under that bush in yon park!

LEO: You left your beloved two-wheeler under a bush in the park?

ME: As surely as a bear does use the great out-of-doors as their personal latrine I did! Fear not, for it had a piece of paper attached to it with my email address and cell phone number! I shall obtain justice from the soot-covered hand of evil!

LEO: [looking away nervously] I think I hear my dispatcher summoning me to a meth lab raid... Anon!

:cry::D:rolleyes: