Do you have a goal?

SkellyCA

The ultimate goal is of course to find every cache that's published; beyond that do you have a goal?

Is there a certain number of finds per day, week, month, year that you aim for?

How often do you go caching?

For how long do you cache when you go?

I've been doing it on weekdays(at least 3 days) mornings after I walk the dog; I go for an hour or two; I try to find at least 3; so about 9/week; which is about 36/month or 432/yr

Every once in a while our group will go out with a goal of finding a challenging cache. We've gone out a couple of times with intentions of setting a new record for number of finds, for us, in a day. But we have no standing goals for finding certain numbers of caches. My main goal is to just have fun finding interesting caches in interesting places, socializing with good caching friends, and enjoying days out with my Family!

The ultimate goal is of course to find every cache that's published; beyond that do you have a goal?
Our goal is to simply find the cache we are searching for at the time.
Nope.
Winter - not as much as we'd like. Spring/Summer/Fall - Few days a week.
At least a few hours.

When we go out caching, the albanysquad likes to pick an area with at least 3 caches within walking distance of each other, and then we get them. Maybe if we aren't tired, we head over to the next closest area. But we always leave some for next time we go caching. If we have any DNFs from the last round of caching, we go back to find those. We don't like being stumped :ninja:

For whatever reason would anyone want to find every cache ever hidden? While I do appreciate that every cache hider has done so with the idea of giving a bit of fun and enjoyment to others not everyone has the same definition of fun. That being true it would be arrogant to expect everyone to enjoy a cache I have hidden. On the other side of that coin I don't expect to enjoy every cache ever hidden. With this in mind I try, sometimes unsuccessfully, to hunt for only the caches I will enjoy. Even that is different depending on my mood, the weather, planetary alignment, whatever. My only goal is to go out and have fun.

Disclaimer - This is MY opinion. YOURS may differ and that's just fine.

Our goal is to simply find the cache we are searching for at the time.
Nope.
Winter - not as much as we'd like. Spring/Summer/Fall - Few days a week.
At least a few hours.

dito, but I am also looking to place 1 or more perfect (DNF) hides.

Have KD7MXI engraved on your marker so that you can be logged well into the future.

That isn't my ultimate goal. I'd get tired of caching really quick if I HAD to find them ALL.

No. My life isn't that structured/planned.

Whenever I get the chance.

I usually have youngins with me and they get tired sooner that I do. So basically I go until they get tired.

I've been doing it on weekdays(at least 3 days) mornings after I walk the dog; I go for an hour or two; I try to find at least 3; so about 9/week; which is about 36/month or 432/yr

I, too, have no desire to find every cache ever hidden. I don't even care if I find everything within X miles of my house. There are around 2,000 caches within an hour's drive that I haven't found. I pick off ten or so when I get the urge and don't have a trip planned.

Rather, I thrive on road trips. When I go caching, I like to go for the weekend or for the week. I like exploring new places I haven't seen. If I'm going to find a cache in a Wal-Mart lamp post, I'm much happier if it's in New Hampshire than an identical hide ten miles from home. More than half of my 3,800-ish finds are greater than 150 miles from my home coordinates.

I used to have time-specific goals, like find X caches in place Y by the end of the year. After failing to achieve most of my 2008 goals, despite finding hundreds of caches and having lots of fun, my goals are no longer time-limited. I will finish them "whenever." You can see a list of those goals on my profile page, where I track my progress.

On average, I get out caching once or twice a week. The long roadtrips in the summer where I cache for nine straight days make up for the winter months when I might get out five times during the entire month. I have no standard numerical goal for any trip. Some days I feel like a hike and somedays I feel like a numbers run. It all evens out.

The ultimate goal

The ultimate goal for ME is just not to burn out and fade away as have about 90% of the folks I know that started cachin' on or before the date I started.

I've invested a whole lot of quality time in cachin'. The returns have always been bigger than the investment on average, so I guess I'll keep on awhile longer. :ninja:

Nope. But I average about 100 to 125 new smilies a year. :grin:

That's a highly subjective question to me....

I seek caches only a few times a year. I maintain my caches and attend events a whole lot more frequently.

I look for places to hide caches constantly.

It's safe to say I cache in some way, shape, or form nearly every single day.

Sometimes just for a few minutes if I'm being opportunistic. Sometimes for days as I travel....

Yep it is all about enjoying what I am doing and where I am.

Numbers don't factor into my goals at all... I don't think I have even made 10 finds in the last 3 months.

When I do set personal goals they usually revolve around maps. Since I love to travel, and would be on the road with or without geocaching, my strong affinity for coloring in maps seems natural. I like to color in sections of maps be they new states or even counties and when I end up somewhere new I try to look for the caches there that seem like they would be most interesting to me.

That is about it for my goals.

- Rev Mike

Currently sitting on 649 finds. Current goal is to have 1000 finds by the end on a 6000+km motorcycle caching trip that Mrs Bundy and I are going on in March/April. We have plenty to choose from, with 4 major capital cities and numerous regional centres on the route.

I dont get to go caching anywhere near as much as I would like, as my nearest unfound cache to where I spend most of my time- at my workplace, is roughly 2 1/2 hrs drive/ride away. Thats why big caching trips are planned.

I suppose my next goal is to attend the first Australian mega event, in 2010. We will combine this into our 2010 annual leave, and extend the trip into another multi thousand kilometre caching trip, currently planned to be Tasmania, which should again be around the 6000km.

We don't have any particular goals when it comes to caching, except when we're RVing in a different area...we line up side trips to see different parts of the area we are currently in, picking off a cache or two along the way. For us it's not about numbers as much as it is experiencing the areas we visit first hand as opposed to just "through the windshield" :ninja:

We don't have any goals, other than to enjoy the caching that we do, either together or individually.

But, talking of goals, we had this log on one of our caches a couple of days ago, from a cacher based in Georgia, USA :

"Yellow Jacket found Welcome to Wales! Motorway Mayhem M4 J23a (Traditional Cache)

This was the second find of the day. I signed the log and left "Bugicent" the travel bug. I removed "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie" and "Belleville, United States of America" travel bugs. I returned the cache to it's location. This was 603 consecutive days with a cache find.

Thanks for the smiley!

Yellow Jacket

(#2839)

Day #603"

I thought that was an impressive record - don't know what his 'goal' is though.

MrsB :ninja:

My original goal was 50 caches a month. That fell by the wayside after a while. I just wanted to have fun and didn't want any pre-set number of caches to find. Then I deciced to try for 100 FTF by the time I had 1,000 finds. That was way easy as it turned out so I decided to try for 200 FTF by the time I had 2,000 finds. I've really slacked off on the FTF thing in the last year or so but I still have 193 FTF at 1,688 finds so I'm sure it will be no problem.

My only real current goal is to have fun caching. If it's not fun I don't want to do it.

I live in very rural area that gets fairly few new Geocaches per year. I find them when i can usually within a week or 2 after they are published. Only 400 within 75 miles total so just can't find 1 new per week unless I am traveling out of the area.

Having said that - my goal for 2009 is to reach 1000 total finds and continue to find those that appeal to me the most.

I live in very rural area that gets fairly few new Geocaches per year. I find them when i can usually within a week or 2 after they are published. Only 400 within 75 miles total so just can't find 1 new per week unless I am traveling out of the area.

Having said that - my goal for 2009 is to reach 1000 total finds and continue to find those that appeal to me the most.

Like Starbrand, I don't have the luxury of having a couple of thousand caches within an hours drive. In fact, if I only had an hour available on a given day to go caching, I *might* be able to get 2-3 caches but typically I need 2-3 hours if I hope to find more than a handful of caches.

I have several goals...

I'm currently sitting at 699 finds so my next goal is to get to 700...then to 800...and so on.

I'd like to find more caches in States in which I haven't found a cache but I don't have the luxury of being able to travel just to go geocaching (I have a full time job and a family that doesn't like geocaching as much as I do). In the past, I've been able to find caches in new states (and several countries, and two additional continents) while traveling on business but with the economy in the tank I'm essentially limited to one business travel trip a year (that's not funded from an outside source).

I have several "goal" caches I want to find though some of them are only feasible during a warmer time of the year. I'm hoping to get a 4 digit GC number cache in a few weeks while on a business trip and would like to add more older caches.

I'd like to fill out more boxes on the fizzy challenge. This one actually relates to the previous goal as I can target specific caches to fill in the boxes. We don't have a lot of 4.5 to 5 difficulty caches nearby (the closest is actually rated incorrectly) so it's pretty much a day trip to add any higher difficulty caches to the grid.

With all the barriers I have to achieve some of the goals I've read I pretty much limit my main goal into get out and finding geocaches when I can and placing geoecaches that others will enjoy.

I'm really new at this and have no long term goals other than having fun. Once the warm weather returns I'll be riding my Harley and plan on looking for caches during my rides. For the time being though, my short-term goal is to "clear the pages" when I use the feature: "search for nearest caches from your home coordinates". I'm halfway through page 1.

We usually try and break our 'most number of caches found in a day/weekend' record (which is 27 in a day and 40 in a weekend) when we go on multiple cache runs. Right now our goal is to get a cache in one of each of the cities we stop at on our cruise to Alaska. Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria, Seattle and some along the way from Kelowna, BC

Edited by anakerose

My goal certainly isn't to find every cache published... even some nearby ones are off my radar for various reasons. I like to explore new terrain and prefer to be somewhere off the trails and in the woods.

Numbers? When my total find number became larger than my "ranking" number I decided I'd like to keep it that way. So far so good, but a stretch of bad weather here can make it hard to do.

I like to spend one full day a week and maybe squeak in a couple more hours here and there.

The ultimate goal is of course to find every cache that's published; beyond that do you have a goal? My goal is to have fun.

Is there a certain number of finds per day, week, month, year that you aim for? Nope.

How often do you go caching? Whenever I have time and I feel like it.

For how long do you cache when you go? For as long as I'm having fun and still have some free time.

When I started I thought numbers were more important than I do now. So now I have a couple general goals and a specific one:

Find caches in every state that I visit, not hard since I enjoy finding new places.

Hide caches of the type I would enjoy finding.

The Virginia Delorme Challenge.

I disagree greatly with your broad and global statement that the ultimate goal for every cacher is to find every cache that has been published. That is certainly not true for me. I am not obsessive or compulsive about anything in life (except, perhaps, for Lara Croft and Milla Jovovich), and I am particularly not at all obsessive or compulsive about geocaching. I have no interest in finding every cache that has ever been published, and, in fact, I have little interest in finding many caches at all. And I have no goals for a minimum number of finds per day or week or month or year.

Rather, I cache only when the spirit (as in Holy Spirit) moves me, and I hunt only those caches which I choose to hunt, again, as spirit moves me, and those caches usually tend to be very few and far between.

And, my only goal in life is to have no goals in life, for I know in my heart that all goals are merely products of the ever-restless and ever-hungry mind, which is very much akin to a a very restless and fidgety and mischevious monkey, and the way to peace and grace is certainly not via the practice of indulging the momentary and illusory goals set by the ever-frantic and ever-questing mind.

I disagree greatly with your broad and global statement that the ultimate goal for every cacher is to find every cache that has been published. That is certainly not true for me. I am not obsessive or compulsive about anything in life (except, perhaps, for Lara Croft and Milla Jovovich), and I am particularly not at all obsessive or compulsive about geocaching. I have no interest in finding every cache that has ever been published, and, in fact, I have little interest in finding many caches at all. And I have no goals for a minimum number of finds per day or week or month or year.

Rather, I cache only when the spirit (as in Holy Spirit) moves me, and I hunt only those caches which I choose to hunt, again, as spirit moves me, and those caches usually tend to be very few and far between.

And, my only goal in life is to have no goals in life, for I know in my heart that all goals are merely products of the ever-restless and ever-hungry mind, which is very much akin to a a very restless and fidgety and mischievous monkey, and the way to peace and grace is certainly not via the practice of indulging the momentary and illusory goals set by the ever-frantic and ever-questing mind.

I'm with you Vinny. Having no goals is freedom. Complete freedom is what I want from my free time. I have enough stuff in my life that I "have to" do. I don't need anymore.

My only goal is to have fun, I don't really care too much about total number of finds or finds per day or days with a find. Heck, I haven't had a find Nov 26! But I have upgraded to a DeLorme PN-40, but between the weather (lots of snow and rain, and I don't like being wet and cold, defeats the whole "fun" thing for me), holidays, and a couple sicknesses (one sinus infection and then a nasty flu 2 weeks later), I just haven't gotten out. I will be making a run very soon with a friend of mine, though, looking forward to it! To me, making find and streak goals makes it more of a job than a hobby, and then it starts losing it's fun, and then what's the point?