Garmin Communicator (Send to GPS)

command Z

Is there no other way but to download another load of stuff to get the thing working. It worked great a few days ago so why change anything?

My answer to this: Do you want to be able to do what you want to do or do you just want to complain?

Progress sometimes requires change.

QUOTE(Bouts777 @ Feb 15 2009, 09:49 AM)

Is there no other way but to download another load of stuff to get the thing working. It worked great a few days ago so why change anything?

My answer to this: Do you want to be able to do what you want to do or do you just want to complain?

This is the only little thing in the whole update that I have a problem with. If you see it as complaining, tuff. Your answer did nothing for my question.

Sure, you can wait a few days and hope that Groundspeak can find the problem and fix it. Until then you can grumble and enter waypoints by hand. Or you can take the suggested alternatives and get back to caching. Completely your choice.

After reading through the suggestions, I first tried the "Ctrl" button while refreshing the cache page. No help. Then, I downloaded IE7 and went and deleted Temp Files, history etc.

When I went to the page I wanted to download cords from; It Worked B)

Mine is an Etrex Legend.

Now there will be one less person on the phone with Garmin. Thanks :mad:

I hope Groundspeak fixes this soon. Windows xp, IE6 dial up. I have tried to download ie7 but estimated time is over 3 hours and my internet connection keeps kicking me off. B) So far I haven't seen any indication that Ground speak is even addressing this issue.

The bad thing about downloading caches from the Garmin site is they don't have the newest caches for my area listed yet

Just came back from a fun morning geocaching with my daughter. We downloaded the coordinates using the "Send to GPS" after I found out yesterday that all I had to do was log in to the site using a Firefox browser.

We had a great day geocaching. Hope you all did also. No excuses not to -- several working solutions have been put forward in this thread and the one about the update.

Have a good one. B)

Edited by fsafranek

I just downloaded a couple caches to my Garmin by transferring the waypoints to the Garmin software that came with the GPSer, then downloading it from there to the device. Better than nothing, but a lot of extra work. I hope you-all fix the Garmin download link soon... <_<

Regards, George

I have the same problem with IE6 not working (but firefox works). I assume its an IE6 problem again just like when all the frames on the cache pages were screwed up for about 6 months until they put in the fixes for IE6.

It worked for me before with IE6, but since they recently updated the software to add the Delorme GPS now it doesn't work anymore. I guess I could just use firefox, but I prefer using IE6 as my browser. I'm not updating it...I HATE the newer versions of internet explorer.

Edited by trowel32

I am having a problem loading caches onto my Garmin Nuvi. The Communicator works and says it is sending it, but it doesn't show up on my GPS. I tried it again and the Comminicator tells me that the info is already there and asks if I should overwrite. I pick yes and it writes succesfully, but still does not show up on GPS.

Is this a gc.com issue?

:laughing: ........I Finally Goy Mine To Work......... :laughing:

After downloading and re downloading....upgrading to IE7 and all the above hints i kept getting that it could not run because i needed to click the little blue box above to run Active X controls which was never there???? I went crazy trying to figure it out but finally got it...HERE'S WHAT I DID: I simply logged off and then re-logged back on on my Computer's XP Administrator Account (which i never use) and when i re-downloaded it from my "Administrator Account" the "Blue Box" was up top to let me run "Active X Controls"..... i simply clicked on it to run active x and now my caches are going right into my garmin vista hcx..... Yeah :laughing:

Joe

I personaly havn't had a problem useing IE7, but was wondering as it is the next release and has been in Beta for a while now and that Winows7 seems to be moveing along quite well, does this problem occure in IE8?

I'm assuming it does as it works in IE7 but a thought none the less.

Edit: thinking about it yes I do have an issue with IE7 in that some of the HTML coading shows up in the cache page on the GPSr.

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

Thank you for the reports of Send to GPS not working in IE6. We have been aware of this and are working to remedy the situation.

As others have already mentioned, StGPS can be accessed through other browsers or versions of IE in the meantime. We're very sorry for the inconvenience.

I cannot upgrade to IE7 because my scanner will not work! Is it possible to get up loads to my Garmin using IE6? Any ideas?

Thank you for the reports of Send to GPS not working in IE6. We have been aware of this and are working to remedy the situation.

As others have already mentioned, StGPS can be accessed through other browsers or versions of IE in the meantime. We're very sorry for the inconvenience.

I cannot upgrade to IE7 because my scanner will not work! Is it possible to get up loads to my Garmin using IE6? Any ideas?

Why not use Firefox?

Ok

WTF??? I am a paying member and am really PO'd about this new interface that will no longer work with my GPS!!! I am seriously considering closing my account. When a programmer produces a new program, dont you think you should check it to make sure it actually works before you put it on your website??? I mean come on!!! So Groundspeak, get it fixed and quit dragging your feet!!!

It is not my GPS, as I can connect to any other program on the web as normal. Just cannot download coords from Groundspeak. I called Garmin, and was on the phone for 45 minutes with them and my GPS is working fine!!!

SO THERE MUST BE A BUG IN YOUR PROGRAM. GET IT FIXED PLEASE AS THIS IS VERY ANNOYING!!!!!! :unsure:

Can I get any clearer??????

Man I am just so frustrated!!!

Ok

WTF??? I am a paying member and am really PO'd about this new interface that will no longer work with my GPS!!! I am seriously considering closing my account. When a programmer produces a new program, dont you think you should check it to make sure it actually works before you put it on your website??? I mean come on!!! So Groundspeak, get it fixed and quit dragging your feet!!!

It is not my GPS, as I can connect to any other program on the web as normal. Just cannot download coords from Groundspeak. I called Garmin, and was on the phone for 45 minutes with them and my GPS is working fine!!!

SO THERE MUST BE A BUG IN YOUR PROGRAM. GET IT FIXED PLEASE AS THIS IS VERY ANNOYING!!!!!! :yikes:

Ok everyone, after reading all the forum info, I have loaded IE7 and now the upload works. So how hard would it have been for GS to announce that this change only works with IE7????

Talk about great customer service!!!. They dont hesitate to take your money for membership, but forget to let us in on the "little" things!!

Ok everyone, after reading all the forum info, I have loaded IE7 and now the upload works. So how hard would it have been for GS to announce that this change only works with IE7????

Talk about great customer service!!!. They dont hesitate to take your money for membership, but forget to let us in on the "little" things!!

It doesn't "only" work with IE7. There are multiple configurations that will work...and some that won't

Ok

SO THERE MUST BE A BUG IN YOUR PROGRAM. GET IT FIXED PLEASE AS THIS IS VERY ANNOYING!!!!!! :yikes:

Actually I was going to agree with your original post. Something during the upgrade (most like the addition of a tab for downloading to Delorme GPS) broke the Garmin download in IE6. My guess is that Groundspeak and the volunteer beta testers did not test this function with IE6. They probably didn't test with with any browsers other than IE7, Firefox, and maybe Safari. If Groundspeak is only going to support certain browsers then you are right and they should make a statement somewhere as to which browser they are going to support.

Ok

Actually I was going to agree with your original post. Something during the upgrade (most like the addition of a tab for downloading to Delorme GPS) broke the Garmin download in IE6. My guess is that Groundspeak and the volunteer beta testers did not test this function with IE6. They probably didn't test with with any browsers other than IE7, Firefox, and maybe Safari. If Groundspeak is only going to support certain browsers then you are right and they should make a statement somewhere as to which browser they are going to support.

Does Microsoft still support IE6? I don't use IE so I really don't know but if Microsoft is still supporting it then I think Groudspeak should make a good faith effort to support it too. However if Microsoft is no longer supporting IE6 or Goundspeak really can't get that feature to work with IE6 without breaking it for the current browser version then it is time to upgrade. Isn't IE8 out now?

I'm adding my name to the list of not working. The last time I 'upgraded' IE, my itunes would not work. So I'm hessitant to "upgrade" to IE7 out of 'fear' :unsure: that something else won't work on my POS computer. Groundspeak has know :) about this for at lease several days (if not longer) and I don't remember reading anything about this glitch in the weekly LoBot emails.

I do hope they can fix this glitch very soon.

FYI: My computer became a POS after it got a nasty virus (antivirus 2009 - is a virus by the way), and after having it 'wiped clean' and reinstalled everything, it just has not been the same.

I'm adding my name to the list of not working. The last time I 'upgraded' IE, my itunes would not work. So I'm hessitant to "upgrade" to IE7 out of 'fear' :D that something else won't work on my POS computer. Groundspeak has know B) about this for at lease several days (if not longer) and I don't remember reading anything about this glitch in the weekly LoBot emails.

I do hope they can fix this glitch very soon.

FYI: My computer became a POS after it got a nasty virus (antivirus 2009 - is a virus by the way), and after having it 'wiped clean' and reinstalled everything, it just has not been the same.

AFter reading the many complaints you would expect GC to post a sticky about the problem.

For the record IE 7 is not a solution for me I had 7 before downloading the new and improved drivers software from geocaching .com that is when the problem began.

On a positive note while I had to manually enter coordinates (Oh the torture) I had fun geocaching with wife and cousins this bast weekend which is why I come here anyway.

Note to GC post a sticky on the entrance to the forum with the real fix

AFter reading the many complaints you would expect GC to post a sticky about the problem.

For the record IE 7 is not a solution for me I had 7 before downloading the new and improved drivers software from geocaching .com that is when the problem began.

The drivers are from Garmin, not geocaching.com.

There is a lot of contradictory information regarding this problem.

My expectation is that if there is a know "glitch" that the forum would alert all to it and any possible work arounds.

In this situation it is the plug in regardless of where it comes from that is the problem. Many of us have IE7 and experienced the problem I also tried it on Firefox same issue. From the over 100+ queries in the forum in multiple topics this is not a rare occurence.

That being said some of the replies have been far from helpful and just add to the tension.

As I stated before I entered the coordinates manually and did what I had intended which was enjoy myself with family while out caching. I am confident either GC or Garmion will come up with a fix one sooner or later.

Enjoy the hobby and see you out "there"

BZ

Here's what OpinoNate posted in another thread (linked below).

Two things happening here.

1. Send to GPS is a Premium Member feature. It was never meant to be available to Basic Members but that was overlooked and supposed to have been restricted in the last release. Somehow the change was reversed but is scheduled to be fixed [again].

2. Send to GPS is not currently working in IE6. This is also scheduled to be fixed.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=215285

I have XP, IE6, Garmin GPSmap60C and Colorado 400t. I spoke with a rep at Garmin on 27 Feb and he had me install Webupdater and reinstall Communicator Plugin 2.6.3.0 and Gramin drivers. I described exactly what was going on and the install and reinstall didn't work. Sounds like there's a glitch at geocaching.com. They'll fix it; I'm just a little annoyed because I lost a weekend of geocaching. I would have finally reached 1000. Don't want to enter by hand the the 60C and the only way to enter geocaches in the Colorado is with a computer. It also the only way to delete them in the Colorado, and it is my primary GPSR because I prefer to go "paperless." Just my 2 cents.

I have XP, IE6, Garmin GPSmap60C and Colorado 400t. I spoke with a rep at Garmin on 27 Feb and he had me install Webupdater and reinstall Communicator Plugin 2.6.3.0 and Gramin drivers. I described exactly what was going on and the install and reinstall didn't work. Sounds like there's a glitch at geocaching.com. They'll fix it; I'm just a little annoyed because I lost a weekend of geocaching. I would have finally reached 1000. Don't want to enter by hand the the 60C and the only way to enter geocaches in the Colorado is with a computer. It also the only way to delete them in the Colorado, and it is my primary GPSR because I prefer to go "paperless." Just my 2 cents.

Edit...Never mind...it's not worth it.

You need to use IE 7 or Firefox.

Maybe sligtly off topic, but here goes: GC1DBFX

Here is the result from Send to GPS

fb10d1b4-d87d-41bc-bb9f-31fab3b0f7cb.jpg

and this is the result from GPC eXchange File directly to the unit

14a41db9-8dda-41b2-8e99-c9c3d2a9744d.jpg

Send to GPS worked the same way with both a previous version of the Communicator and the latest version.

Oregon 300 on 2.86 beta

IE7

Vista 64

Is just me or what?

IE - Garmin 60CSX - premium member- reloaded garmin communicator again today - DSL line - Windows XP - grrrrr - bought this gps because it worked so well with the website. Can't download.......

A little poll ====== for those having the "garmin communicator plug-in" problem -- what is your internet access?

I am using dial up. Any others?

The Garmin Communicator plug-in still works for me, using both Firefox 3.0.6 and Internet Explorer 7.7.5730.11. I just tried both browsers, and the plug-in worked as advertised.

I honestly doubt that it matters, since the amount of data being transferred is fairly tiny, but I have a high-speed (cable modem) Internet connection.

--Larry

Edited by kyhorselover

I am having a problem loading caches onto my Garmin Nuvi. The Communicator works and says it is sending it, but it doesn't show up on my GPS. I tried it again and the Comminicator tells me that the info is already there and asks if I should overwrite. I pick yes and it writes succesfully, but still does not show up on GPS.

Is this a gc.com issue?

I hope this hasn't been answered elsewhere, but I had this problem for a few weeks, which frustrated the heck out of me because we're pretty competitive about going out on FTF trips around here. I learned a decent lesson, when going out on trips, though -- always check to make sure the file(s) are there before heading out.

Anyway, here's what I use and did to resolve the problem: Firefox 3.0.10, Windows XP, Garmin Communicator (whichever version was new as of this morning), Garmin nuvi 200.

1. Hook up the nuvi to your compy.

2. Navigate to the nuvi's drive letter --> folder: Garmin\gpx

3. Copy the current.gpx file to your desktop (just in case something gets really jacked up, you'll have a backup)

4. Delete all the gpx files in the GPX folder, including the current.gpx file and all other files there.

5. Unplug the nuvi and use the touchscreen: Tools-->My Data-->Delete Favorites. Select all and delete them all. Yes, this means you'll have to delete all the custom favorites. I had to re-input my Home and Work points. I had to do this twice. I rebooted the nuvi afterward and it showed I still had many Favorites stored. I manually ensured everything was cleared from the Garmin\GPX folder, re-deleted my Favorites, and it cleared out the second time around.

Files sent using the Garmin Communicator plugin worked just fine after that. It's sort of a pain rebuilding the previous points in Favorites, but it's a small price to pay, I suppose. If there's an easier method, I don't know what it'd be. I suppose I could have used one of the variety of progs to edit the current.gpx file to clear out the favorites, but I don't particularly like using them.