Garmin Communicator (Send to GPS)

command Z

I've got Windows 2000, and an etrex vista hcx. My browser is a Firefox 3.0.5.

I've installed the most current Garmin Communicator Plugin and the most current drivers for my gps.

After I click "Send to GPS" from the cache page, the pop-up comes up and says "We currently support only Garmin GPS units. Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected."

On the test page for the Communicator, it says that I might see an option to "enable the ActiveX Control using the blue bar at the top of your browser window," But that bar does not come up for me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Does the test page say that everything is installed and communicating properly or is it giving you an error? Beyond checking to make sure that your GPS is physically plugged in to your computer I won't know what else to check. Mowing12 gave the best advice. Call the Garmin customer service number. Customer service is part of the price of the GPS!

I am having this exact problem with my Garmin Colorado 400t. I've used it a bunch times without problems until I connected it today for a cache run tonight. It's giving me the "We currently support only Garmin GPS units. Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected". When I search for the plugin it's talking about, Garmin says that the latest version is detected and is working fine.

Exactly the same, it's giving me the "We currently support only Garmin GPS units. Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected". When I go to Garmin test page, it says "...latest version is detected and is working fine." So I'm confused, maybe Groundspeak software developers could say some words to this...

There is some solace in finding that I'm not alone in having to manually enter new waypoints at an agonizingly slow pace compared to clicking on "SEND TO GPS". I began having the trouble when [1] I downloaded the NEW 2/4/09 communicator plug in from Garmin site and [2] when I realized that another mfgr has been added to the "SEND TO GPS" screen in addition to Garmin.

I'm not happy. Just looking for a solution.....thanks for any help!

sleepawkeen

York PA

GarminCSX60

Exactly the same, it's giving me the "We currently support only Garmin GPS units. Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected". When I go to Garmin test page, it says "...latest version is detected and is working fine." So I'm confused, maybe Groundspeak software developers could say some words to this...

Have you guys tried all the standard things like re-starting your browser, clearing cookies, clearing the cache, shift-refreshing the page, and burning incense?

Since it is working for me and many others, the problem just might be on your end. :D

Right you are. And then again, maybe you haven't experienced it - - - - yet. Thanks for your suggestions. They have proved ineffective. Also tried using Firefox instead of IE, dumping the new plug in and redoing that procedure. Walking to the basement and back, and using another usb cable from pc to garmin. Nope, nope, and nope. NEXT?

It worked yesterday for me and I just tried it and it came thru fine. I am using XP, Comcast (IE), and checked it out on my Vista, Etrex. The only thing I noticed was that DeLorme had been added to the dropdown page. I normally use GSAK and only the Garmin Communicator plug-in for an a few caches locally.

A little poll ====== for those having the "garmin communicator plug-in" problem -- what is your internet access?

I am using dial up. Any others?

The Garmin Communicator plug-in still works for me, using both Firefox 3.0.6 and Internet Explorer 7.7.5730.11. I just tried both browsers, and the plug-in worked as advertised.

I honestly doubt that it matters, since the amount of data being transferred is fairly tiny, but I have a high-speed (cable modem) Internet connection.

--Larry

Right you are. And then again, maybe you haven't experienced it - - - - yet. Thanks for your suggestions. They have proved ineffective. Also tried using Firefox instead of IE, dumping the new plug in and redoing that procedure. Walking to the basement and back, and using another usb cable from pc to garmin. Nope, nope, and nope. NEXT?

Any chance that you're running a firewall that's blocking it?

I recently had to reinstall all the programs on my PC and began having a problem similar to this one. My Garmin Etrex Venture HC would be communicating properly, and the USB connection was fine, but when I picked "send to GPS" as an option it would only read, "not working properly...?". SO FRUSTRATING. I finally installed Internet Explorer 7 and it worked perfectly, it only took me 3 hours. :) i hope this helps some people! -Maxpower

yahooooooooooooooo I'm back in business! Thanks to the person who posted that they are using IE7! I was still running IE6. Also, I now have to hold "CTRL" while clicking on "SEND to GPS". Took be about 20 clicks and rolling pages to figure it out. But THANK YOU! person who noted using IE7!

I'm also having the same problem with my Colorado 400t. Plug in updated and says that it is installed corectly and so is my GPS but no go. All I get is a message that it's not working. Running win2000 and IE7. Help!!!

Two days ago mine worked fine. Today I see some new changes on the geocaching.com page and it won't do s#$@&. I downloaded the new plugin and the test page says device detected and working . When I try to download coords it says to download pluggin. Since so many are having problems today I would say that something got screwed up when gc.com made the new changes.

Since it is working for some people and not for others, I would guess that the others have an older version of some GC code cached in their browser. Try going to the page with the "Send to GPS" button and hold down the "shift" key while clicking on the "refresh" button at the top of your browser. This forces not only the page, but also all other code the page needs, such as CSS and javascript, to reload. After everything reloads, try sending to GPS again.

I won't guarantee it works, but when it works for some and not others with the same configuration, one just has to think the problem is on the user's end.

I have a Garmin etrex Vista HCx. I have windows xp and use cable internet. I was able to use the send to GPS feature last week, and today it isn't working. I downloaded the new version and the test page says it's working properly. I tried the shift and control key tricks and still no luck. Any body have any new ideas? Otherwise I guess I'll be calling Garmin Monday (or Tuesday if they close for Pres. day).

ugh. my workaround is to go to the Garmin website, sign in and search on the area, then select the ones I want to load. Downside, a little more time to get to this point and it doesn't exclude the ones I've found. Upside, click as many as you want and it loads them all at once. Well, at least I don't have to toggle around to enter them manually. Unfortunately it doesn't give me anything but traditional non multi caches. I guess I'll still be calling Garmin next week. :D

Edited by TMDMom

A little poll ====== for those having the "garmin communicator plug-in" problem -- what is your internet access?

I'm using cable access, IE 7.0.something. Had no problems downloading to a Map 76CSx.

I'm also on dial up with the same issues. When the box comes up where it should indicate to write to the GPS, nothing happens...what I played around with was - while the box is open - to click again on Send to GPS...it then worked but you have to do this every time.

ugh. my workaround is to go to the Garmin website, sign in and search on the area, then select the ones I want to load. Downside, a little more time to get to this point and it doesn't exclude the ones I've found. Upside, click as many as you want and it loads them all at once. Well, at least I don't have to toggle around to enter them manually. Unfortunately it doesn't give me anything but traditional non multi caches. I guess I'll still be calling Garmin next week. :D

Well Iguess I'll jump in also. Windows XP, Comcast high speed conn. E-trex vista Hcx. Got it about a month ago and still learning. Loaded a few caches and found them, got hooked, about a week ago the icon on the GC site went from "send to Garmin" to "send to GPS" and it takes you to a new window that tells you to load the newest communicator. I did. puter says it is hooked up and comunicating with GPS fine. Even did a system restore. still no luck. I hope the web site gets things figured out.

No Workie For Me Either.

I have:

Windows 2000

IE 6.0.2800.1106

New Communicator 2.6.3.0

AT&T DSL (3.0 Down)

Test Page says it works properly...shows my 60csx and unit id

I've rebooted the system

Tried that "Control" / "Refresh"

Clicked on "Send to GPS" holding the "Control" key

NADA.....

Edited by TheTexasGringo

Mine was working fine a couple of weeks ago. I havent changed any settings what-so-ever. Just plugged it in today to download some coords, and voila, got a message telling me I need to download updated software. Pretty coincidental that this all started happening once there was a new tab on the upload window!!!!

I am using comcast high speed internet, Garmin 60CSx and nothing has changed since my last coord download! It just stopped working!

Edited by Hiker1965

It's working for me again using Firefox 2.0 and now 3.0 on WinXp.

It does not work for me with IE6. I have a Garmin Venture HC.

The only problem is that they are being saved as Waypoints and not Geocaches. I don't see them

under "Find -> Geocaches", just "Find -> Waypoints". No biggie (except what's the point of having

the "Find -> Geocaches" option now) but I'm wondering if there is some switch on the send string

that the server assembles that is telling it to do that. If so, webmaster, please flip the switch.

Edited by fsafranek

I recently had to reinstall all the programs on my PC and began having a problem similar to this one. My Garmin Etrex Venture HC would be communicating properly, and the USB connection was fine, but when I picked "send to GPS" as an option it would only read, "not working properly...?". SO FRUSTRATING. I finally installed Internet Explorer 7 and it worked perfectly, it only took me 3 hours. :D i hope this helps some people! -Maxpower

Thank YOU! We upgraded to Explorer 8 and downloaded Active-X - finally it's working.

The only problem is that they are being saved as Waypoints and not Geocaches. I don't see them

under "Find -> Geocaches", just "Find -> Waypoints".

The "Find -> Geocaches" option simply finds waypoints with the icon set under "Setup -> Geocache".

Perhaps you've changed that setting?

under "Find -> Geocaches", just "Find -> Waypoints".

The "Find -> Geocaches" option simply finds waypoints with the icon set under "Setup -> Geocache".

Perhaps you've changed that setting?

On my Garmin Venture HC the only setting under Setup for Geocaching is to mark the find with a date stamp. Nothing about icons other than to show a closed chest for "Find" and an open one for "Found". But they are not settings, just info to fill the page.

Edited by fsafranek

I have a Garmin etrex Vista HCx. I have windows xp and use cable internet. I was able to use the send to GPS feature last week, and today it isn't working. I downloaded the new version and the test page says it's working properly. I tried the shift and control key tricks and still no luck. Any body have any new ideas? Otherwise I guess I'll be calling Garmin Monday (or Tuesday if they close for Pres. day).

DITTO...etrex Vista HCx...same exact problem...tried everything for hours IE7

DITTO...etrex Vista HCx...same exact problem...tried everything for hours IE7

Try the Firefox browser. Worked for me. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Edited by fsafranek

Same as everyone else, our smooth running system worked until gc added the delorme feature, now nada. We even tried a system restore on our computer, no luck. It is definately a Groundspeak problem and I hope they addess it soon!!! If we can't down load, there is no sense paying for the premium membership!

Howie and Jan

If we can't down load, there is no sense paying for the premium membership!

Ohmygosh. You do know that there are other ways to download geocaches to your GPS, right? "Send to GPS" is actually the newest, and least-refined way of doing it. Sure it's easy (when it works), but you only get one geocache at a time. When it doesn't work, or when you want more than one cache, you should use another method.

The oldest method is to search for caches, then on the results page, click the checkboxes on the right, just next to the "Send to GPS" icon. You can even click these checkboxes for multiple caches. Then scroll to the bottom and click the "Download Waypoints" button. Open the resulting file in something like EasyGPS or GeoBuddy or the software that came with your GPS (MapSource, MapSend, Trip & Waypoint Manager, etc.). Any of these programs can then download a whole set of geocaches to your GPS at one time.

The most full-featured method for getting geocaches is available if you're a premium member: Pocket Queries, which, despite their name, aren't just for Pocket PCs. They are useful for just about any device: GPS, PDA, Palm, Pocket PC, some types of cell phones, etc. Markwell has published an excellent explanation of Pocket Queries. Once you get the file in your email, which typically takes just a few minutes, you can again use one of the aforementioned pieces of software to download the whole pile of geocaches to your GPS.