fisher pen? Or something else?

weylan

I have been going for a little while and a pen is a handy thing to cary of course because some don't have one in the cache or the cache is too small to hold a pen. I hate nanos that even the log will not fit in by the way. You should be able to get at least a geocoin in it, darn it! How can we move those things around!

Any way, when I went out with the wife, I found that I liked the fisher bullet pen because it writes easily in the field at any angles. And you don't know what angles you are going to be writing at. It is not water proof, but that isn't usually too much of an issue. but the wife liked the fisher pen I had so much she confiscated it! Of all the nerve huh? So I am going to replace it. But is there something better, before I replace it, so I can go "ha ha, look what I have"? If not who has recommendations for where to get the Fisher bullet pens cheapest?

For geocaching, yes, its called a pencil. It will write at any angle also, the ink will not freeze, ink will not run and blur if it gets wet, you can see how much writing you have left in it, and if you make a mistake most come with an eraser so you can correct it, and you wont cry if you loose it.

Fisher pens are great. :D

I agree! I have a Space pen, engraved and all, and it doesn't leave the house! These are great and all, but just think for a moment...you go on a long distance cache run..at the farthest from your house you mistakenly leave your fancy pen in the cache and take the pencil stub, and don't figure out where the silly thing went until you're home again.

Pencils, cheepo Bics, hotel freebies...those are what ya wanna take caching. Pen dies?? CITO it, grab another, and you're out $0.10.

Just my $0.02

I have been going for a little while and a pen is a handy thing to cary of course because some don't have one in the cache or the cache is too small to hold a pen. I hate nanos that even the log will not fit in by the way. You should be able to get at least a geocoin in it, darn it! How can we move those things around!

Any way, when I went out with the wife, I found that I liked the fisher bullet pen because it writes easily in the field at any angles. And you don't know what angles you are going to be writing at. It is not water proof, but that isn't usually too much of an issue. but the wife liked the fisher pen I had so much she confiscated it! Of all the nerve huh? So I am going to replace it. But is there something better, before I replace it, so I can go "ha ha, look what I have"? If not who has recommendations for where to get the Fisher bullet pens cheapest?

If you're interested in fisher pens then you might also like the Inka Write anywhere pens. Check them out for sure! Same deal, will write at any angle, will write through grease and on wet paper. I have one on my key chain so it's always with me. Definitely my favorite. Here's a pic:

untitled.jpg

If you're interested in fisher pens then you might also like the Inka Write anywhere pens. Check them out for sure! Same deal, will write at any angle, will write through grease and on wet paper. I have one on my key chain so it's always with me. Definitely my favorite.

Only thing worse than hiking to a cache and forgetting a pen, is hiking to one, signing the log and losing my keys there :ninja: I wouldn't mind having this as a backup pen for those absent minded days though.

I use a Pilot G2 Mini. Fits nicely into the pocket and writes smoothly. Only problem is that it smears when the paper gets wet.

The uniball powertank RT - actually rated better than the fisher space pen and a lot cheaper.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology...tml?nav=hpPrint

Agreed. Very good, and it has served me well so far this winter. However, I ended up having to go on eBay to find this pen.

NASA spent millions of dollars developing the technology behind the Fisher pen.

What did the Russians do?

They used a pencil.

edit - corect spilling

Not sure if you were being facetious, but this is an urban myth.

Not sure if you were being facetious, but this is an urban myth.

Thanks geognerd for the correction. Ain't Snopes a great reference for checking the validity of old wives tales.

I'm not an "old wife". I am old but not a wife. and as you might be old, a wife, or both, let me just say thanks to you and Snopes for the correction.

You are telling no tales, at least in this post.

:laughing:

The uniball powertank RT - actually rated better than the fisher space pen and a lot cheaper.

Well.... actually the Fisher did better. Like Consumer Reports, they don't give the highest rating to the best product, but to what they consider to the best "value" for the price. The Powertank is a throw-away pen. People keep their Fisher pens (I've had mine for 15 years), and just buy a replacement cartridge every few years.

Rather than an underwater test (how often does that happen?), I'd rather see how they handle a Tyvek paper, and greasy/oily paper. I'd try it myself, except that, like I said, I've never actually seen one of these tank pens for sale anywhere.

Well.... actually the Fisher did better. Like Consumer Reports, they don't give the highest rating to the best product, but to what they consider to the best "value" for the price. The Powertank is a throw-away pen. People keep their Fisher pens (I've had mine for 15 years), and just buy a replacement cartridge every few years.

Rather than an underwater test (how often does that happen?), I'd rather see how they handle a Tyvek paper, and greasy/oily paper. I'd try it myself, except that, like I said, I've never actually seen one of these tank pens for sale anywhere.

They sell them at Staples for about $3.50

I got two Inka's for Christmas. The first time I used it it got a serious workout. It was raining when I arrived at the park and the hiker sign-in sheet (standard yellow legal pad) had gotten soaked by wet sleeves from previous signers. The pen wrote beautifully. The third cache I found was actually behind a full-running waterfall, and I had no problem signing that log either.

I have one on my truck key ring, and one on a ring on my backpack shoulder strap.

My only complaint on the Inka is that it sometimes takes a bit of scribbling to get it to start writing. But once it starts it's great.