Would this be a good cache idea?

DCNatsFan

Here's the idea. I want to place a geocache with a lock - and the key to the lock would be a trackable item placed in another cache. This would circulate just like any other doodad on a travel bug. In other words, the cache could be in Virginia and the bug with the key in Pennsylvania. So you need to find the bug with the key, then find the cache, then drop the key in another cache (obviously not the cache it's designed to unlock - how would you get it out, genius?).

So...whaddaya think? Too evil? :D:D:D:D:D

[EDIT: I'd have the other key on my ring, so I can do cache maintenance. There are two keys involved, both just the same.]

Edited by DCNatsFan

I had one like that, but the TB had the combination for the lock instead of a key. I also requested that the TB not be taken out of the county that the cache was in, which made it reasonable.

Letting the TB travel the country will certainly cut down on the number of finds on your cache - a lot. Nobody is going to hit your cache if the TB is in California and your cache is in Virginia.

I also requested that the TB not be taken out of the county that the cache was in, which made it reasonable.

I think briansnat is correct in that as long as you at least try to keep it near home it will work out better. I have found a couple like that before and one was confined to a county. It was much easier than the other one that did not even have to stay in the same state as the cache.

As long as someone will be able to find it because it is no fun hiding a cache that people can't solve or find. Some people may think themselves clever for hiding something like that but I don't. I had a puzzle go unsolved for about eight months or something like that before I started really dropping hints everywhere. Finally someone got it and then better hints spread like wildfire but I tend to think that I failed as a cache hider when nobody could find it.

- Rev Mike

Oh and someone WILL lock the key in the cache :ninja:

I think briansnat is correct in that as long as you at least try to keep it near home it will work out better. I have found a couple like that before and one was confined to a county. It was much easier than the other one that did not even have to stay in the same state as the cache.

Well, jurisdiction borders are artificial. I might suggest keeping the key within 200 miles of the cache - that should be close enough.

As long as someone will be able to find it because it is no fun hiding a cache that people can't solve or find. Some people may think themselves clever for hiding something like that but I don't. I had a puzzle go unsolved for about eight months or something like that before I started really dropping hints everywhere. Finally someone got it and then better hints spread like wildfire but I tend to think that I failed as a cache hider when nobody could find it.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to remember it.

Oh and someone WILL lock the key in the cache :grin:

Already thought of that, which is why I chose a locking box that requires the key to lock as well as unlock. Though I suppose it's just a matter of time before some moron puts the key in the cache and fails to lock it. Sigh... :ninja:

There are a couple of caches in MD like that.

Cache Without a Key

Play It Safe

Both have worked out pretty well, but the TB's are supposed to stay much closer than 200 miles to the cache. If the TB lands in New York City and someone finds it there, I don't think many people would rush right down to find the cache. It could also take a very long time for the TB to make it's way back to the DC area so a local could find the cache.

How about a cache with a lock an no key, the finder has to pick the lock, I have thinking about a cache like that for while. I might even make a multi with a lock pick in the first stage.

Be careful with that one. Some jurisdictions consider lock picks in the hands of people who aren't locksmiths to be "criminal contraband" or something to that effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_picking#Legal_status

How about a cache with a lock an no key, the finder has to pick the lock, I have thinking about a cache like that for while. I might even make a multi with a lock pick in the first stage.
There used to be one like that around here. However, the owner did not provide the necessary "special equipment", and just increased the difficulty rating. IIRC, the terrain rating was fairly high too.

my 2 cents: so long as you make it clear in the cahe description page that you ain't signing the log until you find the tb key. Personally I'd probably not bother looking for it, but to each his own.

More fair in my opinion if you do 2 caches: 1 with a combination and the other with a lock that accepts the combination. You could do something like a word lock on a padalock hasp and put the whole mess in a large lock n lock to keepm the elements out. That way you stil linik 2 caches, but they can bne fgound indep0endently or together and count as 2 logs.

I once found a cache that a combination lock on it. The combination was on the cache page but I forgot my Palm so all I had was the coordinates (in the GPSr). So I spent 30 minutes working out the combination by feel. Then, as I was driving away, I realized that I could have just called Ms. LLOT and had her get the combo off the cache page. D'oh! :laughing:

Well, jurisdiction borders are artificial. I might suggest keeping the key within 200 miles of the cache - that should be close enough.

The number of cachers who would be willing to drive 400 miles RT just to find your cache is probably close to zero. I'd make that 50 miles.

My locked cache had a number of ways to obtain the combination. The first one was to find the TB. The second was to hike 4 miles and find small caches, each with one number of the combination. The last was that I would leave slips of paper with one number of the combination in various area caches, but people wouldn't know which one, so it was a matter of chance to find one. Once all 4 were collected the person had combination.

One thing to consider. Even if you ask for the TB not to be taken from the area, there is no guarantee someone won't. My TB asked not to be taken out of the county. It said that on a tag on the TB and on the TB page. I even attached a map of the county to the TB in case there was some question as to what towns were in the county. The third person to take it moved to another state in spite of all this.

Similarly, I found a TB in NJ and received an e-mail from the owner. Turned out it was a key to a cache in Ma. and wasn't supposed to be taken more than 10 miles from the cache. I had to mail it back to him.

Edited by briansnat

Have a look at my cache: GC1HAFT, "Der Konrad-Zuse-Cache" and GC1HRW9, "Konrad-Zuse-Bonus".

They are both in the same street area (big area), the Multi shows the cacher 12 letters (one letter at one tree), these are nessecary to calculate (A=1, B=2 ...) the final, and at the other final, of the bonus cache, you need these letters! A=N, B=O ... so e.g. the 12 letters are "five-four-zero" => The box is closed by chains, and there is a number lock with the combination "5-4-0" (e.g.)

Do it this way - and the cachers are enthusiastic!!

Be careful with that one. Some jurisdictions consider lock picks in the hands of people who aren't locksmiths to be "criminal contraband" or something to that effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_picking#Legal_status

I know its been done before, because I stole the idea. I have a cache which is locked, and the key is inside the cache. The challenge is to get the key out.

One word - Sawzall.

p1015654reg1972628ix6.jpg

how about one of these guys ...

images.jpg

I heard they really like breaking in and out caches