Which garmin nuvi ?

Dadof4boys

Hi everyone,

This way of paperless geocaching sounds great. Just wondering if I can get away with the cheaper nuvi or should I spend a little more and get a better one. I use a 60csx for geocaching but want to go paperless.

thanks for the help in advance

If you already have the handheld then any of the Nuvis can be used for paperless data storage if you use that Pilotsnipe macro. They can also be used solo to find hides, but they are not ideal for that. I use a Nuvi 200 for getting close and detail info storage and a Magellan handheld to close in. I think I have about 1500 cache files on my Nuvi.

Hi everyone,

This way of paperless geocaching sounds great. Just wondering if I can get away with the cheaper nuvi or should I spend a little more and get a better one. I use a 60csx for geocaching but want to go paperless.

thanks for the help in advance

If you already have the handheld then any of the Nuvis can be used for paperless data storage if you use that Pilotsnipe macro. They can also be used solo to find hides, but they are not ideal for that. I use a Nuvi 200 for getting close and detail info storage and a Magellan handheld to close in. I think I have about 1500 cache files on my Nuvi.

Are you using pilotsnipes macro? If so do you think thats a good way to go? I'm new to this whole thing and everyone seems to be using different ways of doing things. Pilotsnipes macro seems like a good choice

Are you using pilotsnipes macro? If so do you think thats a good way to go? I'm new to this whole thing and everyone seems to be using different ways of doing things. Pilotsnipes macro seems like a good choice

Yes. His macro was made to be used with GSAK. Go to this thread and read up on it.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=193374

He has a link to his download/instruction page to walk you through it.

GSAK has been a hurdle for me, but I did manage to figure out how to make both work using Pilotsnipe's information. GSAK is a free download, but after a few weeks you get a Nag screen which increasingly delays usage. That's fair, you can tell the GSAK man put a lot of work into it and is seeking compensation.

I use Easy GPS to load basic (coords, name, owner, etc.) information into my handheld and full cache descriptions into the Nuvi using the GSAK?Pilotsnipes deal. The Nuvi autoroutes me close and I use the handheld to finish. Sometimes the Nuvi can be used solo. Mine is a Nuvi 200 and doesn't have the some of the abilities that the more costly units have, but I'm quite pleased with it.

Yes. His macro was made to be used with GSAK. Go to this thread and read up on it.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=193374

He has a link to his download/instruction page to walk you through it.

GSAK has been a hurdle for me, but I did manage to figure out how to make both work using Pilotsnipe's information. GSAK is a free download, but after a few weeks you get a Nag screen which increasingly delays usage. That's fair, you can tell the GSAK man put a lot of work into it and is seeking compensation.

I use Easy GPS to load basic (coords, name, owner, etc.) information into my handheld and full cache descriptions into the Nuvi using the GSAK?Pilotsnipes deal. The Nuvi autoroutes me close and I use the handheld to finish. Sometimes the Nuvi can be used solo. Mine is a Nuvi 200 and doesn't have the some of the abilities that the more costly units have, but I'm quite pleased with it.

great. Thanks for the help

Which Nuvi?

I recommend the latest model units ending in 5. Text to Speech (TTS) is better than not. If you do not need bluetooth or mp3, the sweet spot in features for the price are the 2X5 models.

The 255 or 255W compared to the earlier 250/260 offers:

"Hotfix" quicker satellite fix.

Speed limits shown on major streets

Turn indicator arrow while routing.

Choice of 4 TTS voices instead of one.

"Where am I" feature

Qwerty keyboard on the 255W

User selected folders for favorites.

Satellite signal screen

Add a photo to each saved "Favorite" waypoint/POI

Optional FM receiver for traffic, theaters, airport fights. Good if you are commuting in a big USA city.

Track log function (see my signature line below)

They are worth the small extra cost.