"How to report site issues"

Hynr

I note the pinned topic on how to report issues at the website.

It would be most helpful to us at our end if we could receive some verification that someone on the Groundspeak staff has actually taken note of the report. It seems that many error reports are simply ignored unless they generate some sort of controversy. Some are responded to by persons who are not in a position to effect any resolution to the issue.

So perhaps one more step could be added in pinned topic

Step 7. Someone on gRoundspeAk websIte programmiNg staff will acknowlEdge in the thread that s/he has actually seen the report.

If they take time away from performing the fixes, and reading the bug reports, and creating new features, then they will have that much less time to do actually do any of that.

They have said that they maintain an internal list of what they are working on, and that that information is theirs and not ours. Does Microsoft tell you everything that's going to be implemented? No, they tell you after it is done.

If you think an idea is being ignored, then bump the topic. But they eventually read everything that gets written here so if they like it they will eventually implement it.

Wow, I have to say that this is not TrainLove saying this. Someone must have hacked into my account. LOL.

Edited by trainlove

From what I've seen Groundspeak doesn't comment on things, but you can be pretty sure that someone has read it.

I (and a few others) had a problem where we couldn't access field notes on our BlackBerries. I posted a note about it, and a few others mentioned it too. No one from Groundspeak ever commented on it, but I'm guessing someone read them and got it fixed because a few days later the problem disappeared, and we've been able to access them fine since.

Wanted to add that Hynr does have a good point too. If there was a locked/pinned thread that only admins could post to indicating what issues they were aware of, that might eliminate having multiple threads started to talk about something that someone already knows about or has already been discussed.

I know people don't use the search feature much (at least it seems that way), but if someone has a problem, they could first go to the pinned "Known Issues" thread and see if it's something GS is aware of. If it's not, then they could create a post bug report. If it's listed as being a known issue, that would give them some piece of mind in knowing they're not the only one with the problem, and they wouldn't have to start a whole new thread about it.

If there was a locked/pinned thread that only admins could post to indicating what issues they were aware of, that might eliminate having multiple threads started to talk about something that someone already knows about or has already been discussed.

That's too funny.

(A) Not every needed fix is a needed fix. Best example is that I believe the PQ generator page has a glitch in that it allows mutually exclusive criteria (Owned and Not Owned). That's a glitch in design. However, the system is working if the user knows not to check both of those boxes. So the fix isn't needed.

(B) Many needed fixes may take a very low priority. Using home coordinates in a PQ (not the actual coordiantes, but the button "Home Coordinates") and limiting the data to a particular state appears to give wonky results. Is it a killer priority? Not really. But it's a definite bug. If that were on the "pinned" list you speak of, and didn't get fixed for a year or two, what would be the reaction?

(C) Most of the time pinned threads are ignored. Care to count how many times people have posted tests in the Getting Started even though there's a pinned thread. How about changing their user name? Which GPS should I purchase? Acronymns? How do I find new caches? They're all in that "READ FIRST! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions" thread, yet there are constant posts regarding these.