Members only event?!?

skraeling

Now that I have taken the trouble to read through this whole thread I might as well add my interpretation.

It certainly is possible and allowed to list an event as a PMO event, but as can be seen by the responses many people, including myself, see that in a negative light. Posting events that require a hike, or a boat trip is different and quite acceptable.

The CO of the event mentioned did not have to respond to this thread if they were not interested in the opinions of this forum, but they chose to do so, and in an aggressive manner. Amongst other things:

<snip>

BEACUSE WE CAN and we have Loads of FUN watching how you people react. :blink::grin:

They certainly got a reaction and the publicity they wanted, but it is negative publicity. The following strikes a chord -

OK, now lets compare that statement to the Urban dictionary definition of trolling :yikes:

I have no doubt that there are many fine cachers out in NEF, that NEFGA is a very good organization, but they got some bad publicity from this thread. If it were me I would not be particularly proud of that.

These were my thoughts exactly. I have no doubt that the majority of NEFGA members are fine people but the couple that posted here have, again imo, shed a bit of bad light on the entire group. They didn't care to answer a simple enquiry and instead, went out of their way to be smart elecky and rude. Unfortunately, and i can see i'm not the only one, this kinda made the whole organization look bad... :wacko:

You know, not to pile on NEFGA, but I do sort of have to agree with the last two posters. I should say though, I don't feel it was in any way an ugly troll attack or anything. But you do have one guy which pretty much defined internet forum trolling in his one sentence post, and you had another guy who created a smart alecky avatar specifically for this thread for his first ever post to these forums!

It doesn't really bother me though, so I guess I understand your organization's long standing distaste for this forum. Badge of honor, you know. :yikes:

Thanks for the explanation. Had this been posted, oh 133 entries ago, we could have avoided all this fun.

Had this been handled by an email rather than opening a thread on the forums, that is the explanation you would have gotten.

My humble opinion is that the above is the only relevant, and probably the singular defining post of this entire ridiculous thread. I understand that the person who started the thread had a gripe about their reviewer and an event they were not allowed to post...but I hardly see how NEFGA is responsible for any of that. And I hardly see how trying to trash NEFGA in the forums is going to get your event listed or make your reviewer 'see the error of their ways'. If you have an issue with your reviewer, TAKE IT UP WITH YOUR REVIEWER. There is even a procedure you can follow to go above your reviewer's level of 'authority'. I can even see the point of your complaint about your non-listed event, and might even possibly agree with it had it not come in the form of attacking a group of people you have never met and obviously don't know anything about. I can even see how a MO event would raise eyebrows..but...is it really worth all this?

I will admit that HSC (also in my humble opinion) does get excited, and comes across very wrong on the forums sometimes...but it is only because he is a strong and loyal member of NEFGA and defends it as he would defend his family. So when people who have never met any NEFGAN's start talking crap about them, he reacts. He just has a little further to go to be able to laugh about it like the rest of us instead of getting angry...or maybe he's more susceptible to the angst...

People who know NEFGAN's or have attended a NEFGA event know what is up. And that is all that matters to us. Like ICM said, I certainly don't care about being popular in the forums here. There is nothing but angst around here and this thread is simply more proof of that. It always strikes me as funny that the people who complain about NEFGA the most are people who have never had one bit of interaction with NEFGA other than whining about them on the forums.

I'm off to the enormously more friendly and helpful NEFGA forums now. Happy CACHING!

Unfortunately, and i can see i'm not the only one, this kinda made the whole organization look bad

There are people scattered throughout these forums who are willing to judge an entire organization based upon the actions of one, or a few of it's members. I have a name for these types of people, but it's not polite enough for this forum. One question that should be addressed is, should any organization really give two hoots about the opinions of these people? My vote would be "No".

There are people scattered throughout these forums who are willing to judge an entire organization based upon the actions of one, or a few of it's members.

Worse than that. By a few forum posts by one or a few of it's members. 'Course that's the prevailing hot wind on these forums.

As critical as I am of the forums, I don't for a minute believe that the nasty, narrow, arrogant, low-rent, snarky, cheap shot posts to be found throughout actually represent the real life personalities of the people making them. I know enough of you personally to know better.