Members only event?!?

skraeling

Does it mean that a thread is a great success or an abysmal failure if it forces PaintFiction to post? :rolleyes:

Nope. It just means that after all these years the fourms are still the same as they have always been.

El Diablo

Good to see ya back El D... looks like you haven't missed much! :cry::D

BTW........ I haven't heard any NEFGA area people complaining...... LMAO!

I don't think that you will hear anyone in NEFGA complaining about this event...

Do I count. Sure I might not live in Jacksonville, but I am a NEGA member. But my only complaint is that we don't live a little closer, That 5 hour trip from Panama City to Jacksonville keeps us from getting together with ya'll more often and taking in some of that NEFGA hospitality. There's a reason you guys were voted #1 and it wasn't from giving otusiders the cold shoulder

Does it mean that a thread is a great success or an abysmal failure if it forces PaintFiction to post? ;)

Nope. It just means that after all these years the fourms are still the same as they have always been.

El Diablo

Good to see ya back El D... looks like you haven't missed much! :D:(

Woot page FOUR!!

He's missed plenty. The discussions here haven't changed much, just the participants.

To Paint-ICM is right-you'd better watch that post:find ratio. As long as mine remains below 1 I'm happy, so I'll keep logging those finds so I can keep playing in here when I want to. :D

Does it mean that a thread is a great success or an abysmal failure if it forces PaintFiction to post? :rolleyes:

El Diablo

Words of wisdom. Although, I figure anything that gets Paint away from the Wii, if only for a few posts, is a good thing. Besides that, we can now tease him about his growing Post/Find Ratio.

Do I count. Sure I might not live in Jacksonville, but I am a NEGA member. But my only complaint is that we don't live a little closer,

Course you count. Heck, we even let people from Georgia in (yes, even Bulldog fans).

BTW, there's some good buys on homes in Northeast Florida these days. I'm just saying.

Edited by IceCreamMan

How many forum posters does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another

6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this forum

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for

this technique and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

1 to state that a light bulb does not emit light, it sucks dark. After it is full, it stays dark.

Just Sayin' :angry:

Ok from the guidlines for an event cache

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers

This is the first sentance, being a premium members only event excludes some cachers from attending the event. IMO PMO events are a violation of the guidlines.

And there is nothing stopping anyone from becoming Premium Members other than personal choice. So it is their personal choice not to attend a PMO event. Therefore, NO ONE is excluded.

To some people the fee for premium membership is an issue besides why would some one want to pay for premium membership if they are a new cacher and not sure they are going to enjoy it.

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers

This is the first sentance, being a premium members only event excludes some cachers from attending the event. IMO PMO events are a violation of the guidlines.

And there is nothing stopping anyone from becoming Premium Members other than personal choice. So it is their personal choice not to attend a PMO event. Therefore, NO ONE is excluded.

To some people the fee for premium membership is an issue besides why would some one want to pay for premium membership if they are a new cacher and not sure they are going to enjoy it.

The YMCA is open to all people everyday. If I want to go to the YMCA for a day then all I do is pay 5 bucks. IN the same way, people don't have to pay 3 bucks to go to this one event. They can instead go to all the other events in the area for free. I still don't see why this is a big deal. It's only one event...

Is this where I am supposed to say I am sorry?????????? :angry::D

It was just That, To see if anyone would notice. It was not done to offend anyone or keep anyone away. It was simply done to Yank y'alls chain and see who would notice.

NEFGA is one of the best organizations world wide and we welcome anyone and everyone to our area.

I may have put a damper on the fun in this thread but I stand to tell you I am PROUD to be a part of this great group called NEFGA!

In my opinion, most of the negativity about the question came from people that are involved with NEFGA. The OP was just a question, "I thought per GC guidelines, events were supposed to be open to everybody?". Then all ***L broke loose with mostly members telling everyone to MTO Business.

I would hate to see how the forums look on that groups site. From what I saw here, I won't bother going there and looking at it.

It was just a question about how and why. The guidelines state one thing and another was done.

I think it was a very good question and enjoyed reading many of the different answers as to why it might have been listed as one.

In past experiences, I now know that there is also a difference in the way things are done on Groundspeak.

There is only one rule that I know of on the entire site and I cant find it anywheres in print. No Geocaches are to be placed within (I think) 150 ft of a active R.R. Other then that there are no written rules, only Guidelines, and each reviewer can modify things as he/she sees fit to do because there are no rules just Guidelines.

Mainly we all just had a little fun stiring the pot.

Now, much as I hate the idea of explaining myself in these forums, I'll expound a little bit on this event.

This particular event is unusual. It's primary purpose is to see off some cachers on a 24 hour cache run through Northern Florida. Bring bugs for them to delivery. And take care of some local geo-issues. Its a space limited venue and we don't really have the time, space, or resources to spread the welcome mat as we normally would for newbees.

That's it in a nutshell.

Now I have issues/Questions with this event. Before I could realy care less, it was your business. Now I am questing the purpose of your event and if it should be archived.

1) So you did it as a PM only event just to see if you could get anyone to notice?

2) Once it did get noticed and someone asked the question as to Why, you and your group just wanted to cause problems and make others mad and ticked off at the responses?

3) The only reason for the event is so people can meet up for a cache run?

4) Obviously you don't have room for a large group of cachers, so why host it at that location?

5) Is time an issue because you need to get out on your 24hr event cache run?

6) What Resources are needed more then a hand shake and the words "Welcome"?

7) Is that it in a nutshell?

From what I have read and the questions I am asking, why not just post this event in your local forums? I don't see any need to waste a GC code for it.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this forum

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

1 to state that a light bulb does not emit light, it sucks dark. After it is full, it stays dark.

'bout sums it up.

I imagine it could take a lawyer to decide who's right here as both arguments are technically correct, the guidelines do say "open to all geocachers" though obviously the event creation form has an option to make it "Premium/Charter Members only".

I imagine TPTB probably don't want events to be Premium Only. I think the idea of events is to encourage geocaching in general, and to get more people to come is why they let it count as a smiley even though it kind of defeats the argument they gave for eliminating virtuals (not a physical container, although it does have a log so I guess the restaurant, pavilion, etc. can be the "container".

I largely agree with your points, and I feel that it is great if the MAJORITY of events are open to all geocachers, but I also see nothing wrong with limited-attendance events, and I have personally attended three events that were open only to geocachers who had completed certain prerequisites, such as finding a certain series of caches or completing a certain challenge. I see nothing wrong with those more specialized events, either!

Actually I agree with you, I was just saying how I imagine TPTB see it.....

I would hate to see how the forums look on that groups site. From what I saw here, I won't bother going there and looking at it.

You're right. You'd hate it.

It was just a question about how and why. The guidelines state one thing and another was done.

I'm not sure it was established that this is the case. The guidelines say one thing and one person's interpretation of the guidelines says another. Sounds like dog bites man to me.

there is also a difference in the way things are done on Groundspeak... each reviewer can modify things as he/she sees fit...

See. There ARE rules.

Now I have issues/Questions with this event. Before I could realy care less, it was your business. Now I am questing the purpose of your event and if it should be archived.

Because it's obviously now your business since you've invested the time and energy in reading this thread and working up your indignation.

1) So you did it as a PM only event just to see if you could get anyone to notice?

Well, that's not quit it, but close enough for someone wanting to twist words for his own purposes.

2) Once it did get noticed and someone asked the question as to Why, you and your group just wanted to cause problems and make others mad and ticked off at the responses?

Not sure I see it that way. While I can't speak for others, my posts were posted with a light heart poking fun at the whole idea of people expressing opinions about things they don't know about and that won't affect them, as if it's some kind of important social function.

3) The only reason for the event is so people can meet up for a cache run?

Not sure where you got that idea.

4) Obviously you don't have room for a large group of cachers, so why host it at that location?

Because it's a nice central location and I like the grits there. Do I need more reason than that? I didn't catch that in the guidelines.

The fact that a significant number of the attendees will be departing at the same time would seem to be somewhat of factor in the time alotted for the event. But I reckon the wait staff wanting collect tips from the next batch of grit eaters might be a factor in any case.

Gosh. For my next event, are you available as a consultant on welcoming procedures?

We can probably agree on the nut part.

From what I have read and the questions I am asking, why not just post this event in your local forums? I don't see any need to waste a GC code for it.

Because I want to use all the GC codes up and not leave any for my Grandkids.

The fact that a significant number of the attendees will be departing at the same time would seem to be somewhat of factor in the time alotted for the event. But I reckon the wait staff wanting collect tips from the next batch of grit eaters might be a factor in any case.

Gosh. For my next event, are you available as a consultant on welcoming procedures?

We can probably agree on the nut part.

Because I want to use all the GC codes up and not leave any for my Grandkids.

I still don't get it! WHY are people still trying to grill NEFGA and IceCreamMan about the specifics of this event? Are you people the event police or something? Don't you have lives of your own? Downright scary, if you ask me! The Night of the Invasion of the Critical Event-Judging Zombies....

'bout sums it up.

Me too!

Just Sayin' :D

'bout sums it up.

Me too!

Me Threee!!! :):huh::)

I can't believe people make such a fuss over $3 a month.

Of course, I'm the one that tells my wife that her Neopets Premium membership($7.99/mo) is useless... Or in other words, they complain because they don't understand HOW MUCH a Premium membership is bf a Better VALUE than others. Of course, this is all relative.

The Steaks

'bout sums it up.

Me too!

Me Threee!!! :):huh::)

You have not posted an event, nor even hid a cache. MYOB. Just kidding. :ph34r:

This thread has been cracking me up, which I need desperately lately. Thanks to everyone!!!!!!!! And I do mean Everyone. We couldn't laugh like this without you.

OK we could and DO but sometimes it's fun to laugh at strangers too. Especially when they start it....and continue it...and draaaaaaaag it out....

See my signature:

Now, much as I hate the idea of explaining myself in these forums, I'll expound a little bit on this event.

This particular event is unusual. It's primary purpose is to see off some cachers on a 24 hour cache run through Northern Florida. Bring bugs for them to delivery. And take care of some local geo-issues. Its a space limited venue and we don't really have the time, space, or resources to spread the welcome mat as we normally would for newbees.

lol.gif For the singular purpose of tossing gasoline onto this bonfire, here's a quote from the guidelines: lol.gif

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town's fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

Note: I read the bit about how they were going to "And take care of some local geo-issues", but it's more fun to selectively ignore that and focus on the part in bold. Many posters here seem to have done this. Personally, I really don't care if someone hundreds of miles away chooses to exclude non-members from events. I also don't care if other people even farther away are offended to the point of tears about this fact. sad.gif Incidentally, will the group on the 24-hr cache run log this cache as one of the finds in the 24-hr period? Is that cheating? Oops, that's another touchy topic... cheating... banghead.gif I'd better leave now. Back to your regularly scheduled yelling and screaming. blahblah.gif

muching_out.gif

[Edit: Speeeelin and such.]

[Edit again: added smilies for the humor-impaired]

Edited by J-Way

The YMCA is open to all people everyday. If I want to go to the YMCA for a day then all I do is pay 5 bucks. IN the same way, people don't have to pay 3 bucks to go to this one event. They can instead go to all the other events in the area for free. I still don't see why this is a big deal. It's only one event...

Very good point and I totally agree. Thank you.

BTW, here is a nice resource your you folks who might actually like to... you know... host an event...

Event Handbook - If you post it, they will come

Thanks!! If I ever decide to host a 2nd event, I'll use that. :D

Here is a guide for hiding a geocache that isn't located in a parking lot, or tossed into the bushes 15 feet from the road.

There I go messing around again. Nuttin' but love, brotha. :angry:

ncidentally, will the group on the 24-hr cache run log this cache as one of the finds in the 24-hr period? Is that cheating?

In the interest of heading off additional drama so that we can focus on breakfast meats, from the rules of the North Florida Challenge Quest:

3. All cache types count for the Florida Challenge Quest except events (CITO included).

No need for the folks in Outer Mongolia to concern themselves that there will be any cheatin' :D going on in Florida.

...one of them threatened to post a SBA to the event.

Go ahead. Make my day. You know what they say. People who live in hosiery houses shouldn't throw darning needles.

I'm surprised that hasn't happened! Remember, CR had the idea. Or one of his sock puppets. -_-

JoeMerchant, why would any far away forum participants be concerned if there were any cheating during the cache run? That's just silly. :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

'bout sums it up.

Me too!

Me three!

Sorry, couldn't resist the urge. -_-

People who live in hosiery houses shouldn't throw darning needles.

Fear not good sir! That particular sock has been thoroughly cowed. I threatened to stuff it in my smelly hat.

It was last seen huddled shivering under my bed, whimpering about the inequities in life, and wishing it lived in a pair of Pradas.

The other miscreant sock is now preaching a bunch of "live & let live" mamby pamby-ness, but I think it's a front.

That sock has ever been known for rampant prevarication.

Stoopid socks. :D

Edit to add: Sheesh... We're still on page 4?

Edited by Clan Riffster

Just increasing my post count, apparently.

It's all about the numbers, eh...

Yep, it is. This forum stuff is like crack, I can't quit. I'll never get my find count over my post count now.

So hey, how's the audit log look? Gotta be one of the most viewed MOC's ever. <_< I think I only looked at it once.

Just Sayin' <_<

'bout sums it up.

Me too!

Me three!

Sorry, couldn't resist the urge. :(

Sorry, you're number four. I had already called dibs on three!!! :huh::D:P

I've been wanting to post a local event as Members Only for a long time. Just to see if anyone would notice. By anyone, I mean the people in this area and others whose opinions actually matter to me, not people in AZ and NY. I certainly never expected such a national dust up.

In this area there are a lot of members only caches, so active cachers are almost always Premium Members. It wouldn't have surprised me if the event came and went with no one even noticing. Problem was that, like most of the people here, when I post and event I want to attract newbees, so it just never seemed appropriate to post an event as members only just as an experiment.

This particular event is unusual. It's primary purpose is to see off some cachers on a 24 hour cache run through Northern Florida. Bring bugs for them to delivery. And take care of some local geo-issues. Its a space limited venue and we don't really have the time, space, or resources to spread the welcome mat as we normally would for newbees. In fact, it a newbee shows up I'll be a little embarssed because I'll probably be a poor host for them. In addition, for organizational purposes, I wanted to have the Audit Log available. So it seemed like a good time to run my experiment.

That's it in a nutshell. No hidden agenda to drive up sales of Premium Memberships (not that there would be anything wrong with that). No attempt to exclude anyone. Just a little variation in one of dozens of events to add a little fun.

While things might get testy in these forums, should any of you actually show up at the event, you would find a warm and friendly welcome. We would love to have you.

I'll say 2 things.

1) I'm glad I kept reading all the way through the thread.

2) I wish you had said this at the beginning of the thread.

I was just about to post that maybe it would be a good idea if someone actually dropped you a message to find out if it was a mistake or not. I was going to also post to the TAG forums because I know several of our members are also members of NEFGA.

I'm afraid some of the comments early on were not really good for NEFGA, though. If it was a joke, why the hostility early on. Horseshoechamp should know from the TAG forums that I happen to have a fairly good sense of humor, but the earlier comments did not come across very humorous at all.

All that being said, I still think it would have been and is ALWAYS better for people to communicate directly to the person in question before they bring an issue like this to a national forum. I always give room for the occasional mistake and also realize that people generally have good reasons for doing what they do.

Course you count. Heck, we even let people from Georgia in (yes, even Bulldog fans).

That's good because if y'all can ever get the GeoSpirit going at the Suwannee Music Park again, I'd love to attend. <_<

Now that I have taken the trouble to read through this whole thread I might as well add my interpretation.

It certainly is possible and allowed to list an event as a PMO event, but as can be seen by the responses many people, including myself, see that in a negative light. Posting events that require a hike, or a boat trip is different and quite acceptable.

The CO of the event mentioned did not have to respond to this thread if they were not interested in the opinions of this forum, but they chose to do so, and in an aggressive manner. Amongst other things:

<snip>

BEACUSE WE CAN and we have Loads of FUN watching how you people react. :(:huh:

They certainly got a reaction and the publicity they wanted, but it is negative publicity. The following strikes a chord -

OK, now lets compare that statement to the Urban dictionary definition of trolling <_<

I have no doubt that there are many fine cachers out in NEF, that NEFGA is a very good organization, but they got some bad publicity from this thread. If it were me I would not be particularly proud of that.

Now that I have taken the trouble to read through this whole thread I might as well add my interpretation.

It certainly is possible and allowed to list an event as a PMO event, but as can be seen by the responses many people, including myself, see that in a negative light. Posting events that require a hike, or a boat trip is different and quite acceptable.

The CO of the event mentioned did not have to respond to this thread if they were not interested in the opinions of this forum, but they chose to do so, and in an aggressive manner. Amongst other things:

<snip>

BEACUSE WE CAN and we have Loads of FUN watching how you people react. :):ph34r:

They certainly got a reaction and the publicity they wanted, but it is negative publicity. The following strikes a chord -

OK, now lets compare that statement to the Urban dictionary definition of trolling ;)

I have no doubt that there are many fine cachers out in NEF, that NEFGA is a very good organization, but they got some bad publicity from this thread. If it were me I would not be particularly proud of that.

Eau contradairyair. I consider being poorly thought of on these forums to be a badge of honor. :o

This thread might have faded away after just two pages if Ice Cream Man's avatar were a cute bunny or perhaps a sea kitten, instead of a scary masked man and his scary masked friend who look like they were caught in the act of dispatching a non-premium member who chanced upon a PMOC...

;)

:o