Members only event?!?

skraeling

Aww man...I wanted to go to this event but my 'Members Only' status has temporarily lapsed so I KNOW I would have been turned away at the door. Because everyone who is really anyone knows that that is exactly how NEFGA is...

I was gonna bring a pocket cache, too....oh, well, y'alls loss...

Well, you could always hand the pocket cache off to a premium member, and let them take it to the event for you. :ninja:

I think the idea of a members only event is really stupid to say the least. I have been to lots of events over the years. Some of the best memories are from meeting new cachers.

The people that are running the event IMO are very narrow minded, I am not sure I would want to be seen in the company of people that would exclude new cachers from an event.

Excluding new members from an event does not send out a very good message to new cachers.

I guess I am reading the guidelines a bit too literally. Of all the PMO things I have seen, this was the first time I saw an event listed that way.

Ignoring the right or wrong of it. One problem event holders have is that they can need a way to limit the number of event attendee's. This would work for that function to some extent.

I guess I am reading the guidelines a bit too literally. Of all the PMO things I have seen, this was the first time I saw an event listed that way.

Ignoring the right or wrong of it. One problem event holders have is that they can need a way to limit the number of event attendee's. This would work for that function to some extent.

Our groups has an event every month, we have hever set a limit on how many cachers can attend an event. Most of our event are attended by 70-100 cachrs when you include all their family members. While it may be a challenge to find an indoor location for this many people it can be done. THe other option we use quite a bit is outdoor events in parks.

Limiting who may attend an event just sends out a bad message to new cachers.

Aww man...I wanted to go to this event but my 'Members Only' status has temporarily lapsed so I KNOW I would have been turned away at the door. Because everyone who is really anyone knows that that is exactly how NEFGA is...

No doubt is is New Mexicans such as your self that NEFGA meant to exclude.

I think the idea of a members only event is really stupid to say the least. I have been to lots of events over the years. Some of the best memories are from meeting new cachers.

The people that are running the event IMO are very narrow minded, I am not sure I would want to be seen in the company of people that would exclude new cachers from an event.

Excluding new members from an event does not send out a very good message to new cachers.

Narrow mindedness comes from hanging out in the forums too long. The ability to post the event as PMO gives him the right to do so. If that's what he wants, then that's how he does it. Nothing stupid about clicking a little check box that is there for us to check. Stupid is sitting on the keyboard B!t$&ing about something that you have absolutely NO control over.

I will sneak some pancakes out for you. Just bring your GPSr for the real fun! Ya, those NEFGA people - we know how THEY are!

Am I missing something here?

The event page is listed as a Premium Member cache.

The event itself looks to me like it's open to all cachers.

He's still got plenty of time to drop the Premium Member status and let everyone see the cache page.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

I will pay for your breakfast if you want to show up as my guest!

Edit: Let me extend that. For anyone that is worried about the exclusiveness of this event, I will pay for anyone's breakfast that chooses to come to this event - providing they are coming or live (which ever is greater) more than 300 miles! All in the interest of promoting Florida's wonderfully warm weather in the Winter season!

My name is Tom Niderost, and I approve this message!

-Tom

Edited by TomInJax

He's still got plenty of time to drop the Premium Member status and let everyone see the cache page.

Deane

-Tom

I'll chip in for the biscuits and gravy. Mmmmm. I'm hungry.

Well, you could always hand the pocket cache off to a premium member, and let them take it to the event for you. :laughing:

You're right. I wouldn't be seen with us.

Ok, I have seen enough and I have to ask this question. WHY DO YOU CARE WHAT WE DO??? You are in Arizona and we are in Florida. If you read your own dern forums you would have seen that NEFGA and that is North East Florida Geocachers Assoc. WON the all over world BEST geo Org. this past year. So my question to you Mr. skraeling is " WHY DO YOU CARE? " and Who are you to question us on How we roll down here in Florida? Let it lay and forget about other peoples business and mind your own!!!!!!!!!!

How'd y'all score in the area of civility? Bet you won in the humility contest too.

We "WON the all over world BEST geo Org. this past year."

Dang... I didn't know that!

That's so cool! Since I am a member of NEFGA I guess I got me some braggin to do.

I've always thought that people should do things my way or go stuff themselves... being a member of "the all over world BEST geo Org." is further validation. :laughing:

Com'on Alabama Rambler. You've hung around enough to know what jerks we are. You've fallen in with an uncivil and arrogant bunch. Cheese n Rice, think of what your Mom would say. :laughing:

Some interesting things to ponder...

Of all the people who have posted decidedly negative comments about this event, only one has actually, you know, ah... posted an actual event (4 of them as a matter of fact. good job.).

On the other hand, those whose comments have been neutrual +, have posted a total of 55 events (I have excluded my own stats to avoid skewing the numbers.

Rather than posting on the forums about other people's events, which you will never attend anyway, I suggest hosting events that you believe are appropriate. I shall do the same, without feeling the necessity to explain myself to you.

Edit: Let me extend that. For anyone that is worried about the exclusiveness of this event, I will pay for anyone's breakfast that chooses to come to this event - providing they are coming or live (which ever is greater) more than 300 miles! All in the interest of promoting Florida's wonderfully warm weather in the Winter season!

-Tom

You're on, but just one more thing.....I'm gonna need a couple of airline tickets too. :laughing:

Yeah, we do eat well up here.

Well, the pizza and chinese is top shelf, no doubt about it. But for breakfast, I'd rather wake up in Tennessee any day of the week.

Free Country Fried stake and Biscuits and gravy for anyone who drives from AZ or NY. You'll have to take pancakes if you fly though.

Deane

-Tom

Free breakfast huh??? Road trip!!! :wub::wub::o

Better make sure I pay my groundpseak/paypal bill this month I'd hate to show up and not be able to log it :laughing::laughing:

Of all the people who have posted decidedly negative comments about this event, only one has actually, you know, ah... posted an actual event (4 of them as a matter of fact. good job.).

Yep sure seems like alot of you folks have Way too much time on your hands to sit at a computer all day and talk about somebody elses events. Get out there and HOST one of your own and get a little taste of what your chewing. :laughing:

Biscuits and gravy, Yum Yum. But "country fried" should never be used in the same sentence as steak. But as you used it with stake you're good to go.

Come on up. We'll take you out for a real breakfast. Marinated lamb, eggs, home fries, rye toast and coffee. Juice if you wish. Or perhaps a real steak that used to moo and never heard of "country fried".

I lived in Va for a year. Food was ok but not spectacular. I've had breakfast in diners from Key West to Algonquin and from Flagstaff to Berlin. One thing I'm sure about is that the best breakfast in town is almost always in the greasy spoon down the street from the big name chain restaurant.
This has been my experience too. I always look for the local cafe when I'm traveling. I feel more more at home at those places and the food is almost always very good. Edited by TrailGators

Regardless of what cache is the example being used I think the question was still valid. Do you think the practice of listing an event as member only is acceptable?

I think my stance is obvious, as is that of most posters in this thread. The derailment of this thread occurred because everyone got hung up on the even that was used as the example and not on the meat and potatoes of the question. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't site a cache listing or cacher until and unless in is necessary to the point of the question. Had the OP not named a cache right off The thread would not have gotten to the point of me arguing with the entire state of Florida the virtues of breakfast meats. I am not sure but I think the civil war was started with a similar argument.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...923fc&log=y

Wow, look an event that was PMO way back in 2004. It's been going on for some time, get with the program. Click the box or not, it is the choice of the poster, NOT the forum trolls.

Q.....do forum trolls go to events? Or do they just sit infront of their putors and post stuff? Do they ever have events of their very own? Or do they just sit in forums and talk about other people's parties? Tell me Q....tell me!!

On the other hand, those whose comments have been neutrual +, have posted a total of 55 events (I have excluded my own stats to avoid skewing the numbers.

Rather than posting on the forums about other people's events, which you will never attend anyway, I suggest hosting events that you believe are appropriate. I shall do the same, without feeling the necessity to explain myself to you.

Could I request that I be included in the negative column, and my one posted event from 2006 be included in that total? Thanks. :laughing:

You should keep in mind that some people host events under the account for the group they are a member. of. In such cases, their profile will not include any events they put together.

Could I request that I be included in the negative column, and my one posted event from 2006 be included in that total? Thanks. :laughing:

Then make that sure you count my one event back in 2006 in the positive column. :wub: IMO if someone refuses to pay 3 bucks to support the website and go to a fun event, then tough beans.... :laughing:

Yep sure seems like alot of you folks have Way too much time on your hands to sit at a computer all day and talk about somebody elses events. Get out there and HOST one of your own and get a little taste of what your chewing. :laughing:

Wow, look an event that was PMO way back in 2004. It's been going on for some time, get with the program. Click the box or not, it is the choice of the poster, NOT the forum trolls.

Your missing the point of the OP question and have yet to answer nicely about it.

Its just something that I would never do and would not see any point in doing it. If the host of the event wants to have a PM event only, then that is there decision, but I to was under the impression that events were to be open to the geocaching public. If it was going to be for certain cachers only, then it should be not be given a GC# and should be posted in a groups website or in a e-mail to cachers from the area.

I like I said before, I don't care either way, but it is a good question to ask.

Deane

-Tom

While I sincerly appreciate the offer (and I am very tempted to take you up on it) those boys over in the panhandle, where I usually cache when visiting your great state, would skin me alive if I attended a NorthEast event before one of thier's :laughing:

Sounds like it's going to be a good time even if I'm not a biscuits and gravy kind of guy :laughing:

Have fun!

Deane

Speeling edit

Edited by DeRock & The Psychic Cacher

One can only come to the conclusion that there is something to hide:

- "mind your own business"

- "go host your own event"

- "I dont have to explain myself"

Making an event PMO is your choice - but as I said, I interpreted the rules such that it should be open to everyone. Making an event PMO so as not to overwhelm the place is a pretty lame argument. There are lots of PM people out there - excluding just the non PM people IS NOT size/crowd control at said event location.

Since no explanations appear to be forthcoming - other than "because I can" - I withdraw the question.

Oh, and hello Farker/Farkette - I noticed the Florida tag in one of the comments. :laughing:

For those that think I just cussed someone, I didnt. Go check out Fark.

Actually, "one" can come to a couple hundred conclusions, based upon the available data. If "one" is naturally paranoid, I suppose that "something to hide" might drift to the top of the pile. That's certainly not in the first couple dozen conclusions I considered when the question came up. Different strokes, I reckon. To address the outraged "This just ain't right" crowd: There was a time many moons ago when I might've agreed with you, pushing the "events are for everyone" agenda. I even saw an event which the Reviewers refused to publish because it was being hosted in an adult beverage establishment, which could've excluded folks less than 21 years of age, lending credence to the agenda. However, in retrospect, Groundspeak designed the webpages, allowing the exclusion of non premium members from events. As such, I would have to say, since that's the way they designed it, it must be OK. :wub::laughing::laughing:

Your missing the point of the OP question and have yet to answer nicely about it.

Its just something that I would never do and would not see any point in doing it. If the host of the event wants to have a PM event only, then that is there decision, but I to was under the impression that events were to be open to the geocaching public. If it was going to be for certain cachers only, then it should be not be given a GC# and should be posted in a groups website or in a e-mail to cachers from the area.

I like I said before, I don't care either way, but it is a good question to ask.

Exactly! All i see is a few, mostly from the sunshine state, posts stating that everyone should mind their own business and not worry about what they do over there. I don't see anyone worrying about this but i do know that some of us are a tad bit curious.

The event owner lists the event as pmo but then he and several others say that it is open to anyone who emails and asks if they can attend. I'm sure there is a reason but without knowing what that reason is, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do it this way. :laughing:

Loop, several of my sock puppets have PM status.

If'n you're willing to disguise yourself as an ol' fat crippled guy with a smelly hat, you could log in as one of them. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Given a big pillow and a smelly enough hat, I reckon she could pass. I'm just saying.

Edited by JoeMerchant
Better make sure I pay my groundpseak/paypal bill this month I'd hate to show up and not be able to log it :laughing::laughing:

Dern tootin'

Yep sure seems like alot of you folks have Way too much time on your hands ...

I wish I had said that. Oh, wait. I did. :laughing:

But "country fried" should never be used in the same sentence as steak. But as you used it with stake you're good to go.

A misteak? It's easy to understand. In addition to the evil forces mentioned earlier by Clan Riffster, we've also got Vampires in these parts. I always keep a sturdy steak handy just in case I wanna do some night caching.

Marinated lamb, eggs, home fries, rye toast and coffee. Juice if you wish.

I've had that breakfast a few time in Manhattan. I'll take a country fried stake, please.

I lived in Va for a year. Food was ok but not spectacular.

Is VA in the south? I thought it was in DC?

Regardless of what cache is the example being used I think the question was still valid. Do you think the practice of listing an event as member only is acceptable?

Aboslutely NOT. And anyone who does it should be banned from the forums.

The thread would not have gotten to the point of me arguing with the entire state of Florida the virtues of breakfast meats.

Wasn't that the fun part?

I'm a PM, but I let my NEFGA membership lapse when you started charging to play in the sandbox. If I show up will someone buy my breakfast, and will I be able to still log the event? :laughing:

Wimseyguy, if you show up, we will meat (sic) you at the boarder with a welcoming commitee. Heck, we might be able to gather a posse to come up to Raleigh to get you.

Just to clarify though, NEFGA membership is free. You only need to pay the membership fee if you want to vote and have access to the voting members only area. And if 5 bucks is all that stands in your way, I'll pay your membership myself. We'd be proud to have a cacher who has been vital to the success of TWO Geowoodstocks.

Done. Consider yourself in the negative column.

You should keep in mind that some people host events under the account for the group they are a member. of. In such cases, their profile will not include any events they put together.

True. I've done that myself a few times. But in those cases it is the group's event. I doubt think the opinions of anyone here represent those of a group, but I could be wrong about that.

Edited by IceCreamMan

...make that sure you count my one event back in 2006 in the positive column. :laughing: IMO if someone refuses to pay 3 bucks to support the website and go to a fun event, then tough beans.... :laughing:

Done again. (we'll count you twice) :laughing:

That's it... I figured it out... ICM is secretly working for Groundspeak doing a PM drive....

DRAT! Foiled again.

Making an event PMO is your choice - but as I said, I interpreted the rules such that it should be open to everyone. Making an event PMO so as not to overwhelm the place is a pretty lame argument. There are lots of PM people out there - excluding just the non PM people IS NOT size/crowd control at said event location.

Since no explanations appear to be forthcoming - other than "because I can" - I withdraw the question.

Gosh, it's too late to withdraw it now that we're having so much fun. BTW, I'd go with the "I don't have to explain myself" option. At least not until the thread rolls to page three. Stay tuned...

All i see is a few, mostly from the sunshine state, posts stating that everyone should mind their own business and not worry about what they do over there. I don't see anyone worrying about this but i do know that some of us are a tad bit curious.

All I see is people chattering on the forums about an event they wouldn't attend regardless, and about an issue that is next to irrelevant, because they have no interest in posting such an event and there have been no such events posted that they actually might attend. To paraphrase Edgar Allen Poe (or one of them writer guys), it's a lot of hot air signifying nothing.

For the tad bit curious, one would think the way to satiate one's curiosity would be to ask the idiot who posted this cache why the heck he would do something so stupid. Geocaching.com has an email function for a reason.

The cache owner posted on the nefga forums that the only reason he listed it as PMO was to see if anyone would notice.

No Fair. Actually I think that post mentioned it as the "primary" reason, not the only one. There are others. It also expressed surprise that the only people who noticed were from AZ. No one who actually might want to attend the event gives a rats behind.

...make that sure you count my one event back in 2006 in the positive column. :laughing: IMO if someone refuses to pay 3 bucks to support the website and go to a fun event, then tough beans.... :laughing:

Done again. (we'll count you twice) :laughing:

That's it... I figured it out... ICM is secretly working for Groundspeak doing a PM drive....

DRAT! Foiled again.

Gosh, it's too late to withdraw it now that we're having so much fun. BTW, I'd go with the "I don't have to explain myself" option. At least not until the thread rolls to page three. Stay tuned...

All i see is a few, mostly from the sunshine state, posts stating that everyone should mind their own business and not worry about what they do over there. I don't see anyone worrying about this but i do know that some of us are a tad bit curious.

All I see is people chattering on the forums about an event they wouldn't attend regardless, and about an issue that is next to irrelevant, because they have no interest in posting such an event and there have been no such events posted that they actually might attend. To paraphrase Edgar Allen Poe (or one of them writer guys), it's a lot of hot air signifying nothing.

For the tad bit curious, one would think the way to satiate one's curiosity would be to ask the idiot who posted this cache why the heck he would do something so stupid. Geocaching.com has an email function for a reason.

The cache owner posted on the nefga forums that the only reason he listed it as PMO was to see if anyone would notice.

No Fair. Actually I think that post mentioned it as the "primary" reason, not the only one. There are others. It also expressed surprise that the only people who noticed were from AZ. No one who actually might want to attend the event gives a rats behind.

Were you talking about that post?

Forums are here for people to bring their questions, their concerns and their help, you sure seem to get worked up when this is done! And instead of acting in a friendly manner, you tout this "holier-than-thou" attitude? Someone was boasting you Nefga people won some sort of popularity contest, I can see why with all the helpful and courteous comments here! :laughing: Someone asks a question and all most of you can do is act rude and make comments which help no one!

And if you're this helpful in the forums, I wonder how well-received newbs feel in your area! I'm glad we do it differently here in Michigan!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

OK, now I remember there is long standing animousity between some members of NEFGA and these forums, dating back to when y'all hosted Geowoodstock. Then 2nd one, I believe. :laughing:

Ice Cream Dude. If the bomb squad blows up a cache in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan becuase it was placed on the side of the road in view of a dozen homes, and the neighbors freaked out, I can have an opinion on that. Even though I never have or will be within 500 miles of Moose Jaw.

Funny how some of the NEFGA hit and run posters refer to "forum trolls". I'd think "mind your own business", "go host your own event", and "I don't have to explain myself" could be more closely associated with the definition of trolling than people expressing their opinion. Not that I'm not saying you're a troll. See, smiley ==> :laughing:

I think it's quite simple. Some people in Arizona had a hiking event rejected because it was "exclusive". They're just confused, as am I.