Members only event?!?

skraeling

I thought per GC guidelines, events were supposed to be open to everybody?

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

So how did this event get approved when its flagged members only?

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

Sounds okay to me. My interpretation of the rules is that any cache may be set up as PMO, and, in this case, the organizer set up the event as a PMO event. What is wrong with that? There are already many events across the wold which are far more restrictive than that, in that they are open only to geocachers who have found a certain series of caches or who have completed a particular cache or challenge or other additional requirement.

But, most importantly: Who cares? Why bother making a stink about it? Why not just smile at it and appreciate the wide diversity in types of events available?

I imagine it could take a lawyer to decide who's right here as both arguments are technically correct, the guidelines do say "open to all geocachers" though obviously the event creation form has an option to make it "Premium/Charter Members only".

I imagine TPTB probably don't want events to be Premium Only. I think the idea of events is to encourage geocaching in general, and to get more people to come is why they let it count as a smiley even though it kind of defeats the argument they gave for eliminating virtuals (not a physical container, although it does have a log so I guess the restaurant, pavilion, etc. can be the "container".

Event Caches

So where was all of your outrage when they held a Women's only event?

I imagine it could take a lawyer to decide who's right here as both arguments are technically correct, the guidelines do say "open to all geocachers" though obviously the event creation form has an option to make it "Premium/Charter Members only".

I imagine TPTB probably don't want events to be Premium Only. I think the idea of events is to encourage geocaching in general, and to get more people to come is why they let it count as a smiley even though it kind of defeats the argument they gave for eliminating virtuals (not a physical container, although it does have a log so I guess the restaurant, pavilion, etc. can be the "container".

I largely agree with your points, and I feel that it is great if the MAJORITY of events are open to all geocachers, but I also see nothing wrong with limited-attendance events, and I have personally attended three events that were open only to geocachers who had completed certain prerequisites, such as finding a certain series of caches or completing a certain challenge. I see nothing wrong with those more specialized events, either!

Maybe they were just playing around and seeing if they could mark it as a PMO???!!!???

Looks fine now.....

Nope, it's still PMO. I had to log back in in order to see the page. There is a little teeny tiny line right below the D/T ratings that says
This is a subscriber-only cache.
Not that that isn't fine. If ICM wants to make his event PMO, that's his prerogative. I do see where the way the guidelines are worded it might be confusing. Perhaps in the next re-write?

Seems to me the non-members are the ones who'd benefit most from any event. These are the people who likely haven't been to an event, could learn from seasoned vets and such, yet are being precluded.

While I myself wouldn't set up an event which would leave anyone out, I don't much care what others do and would simply ignore it if it bothers you. Hey, if it really bothers you, set up an event on the same date and time and invite those not invited to the other event!!

I just can't help but wonder how much anger would have surfaced had this been a men's only weekend event. I know several cachers who would see nothing wrong with a women's only event that would scream if it was men only. Things that make me go "What?"

With that and the members only event I don't really care. I will admit a bit of curiosity. What is the thinking behind it? I could make assumptions but without input from the cache owners it amounts to nothing more that speculation.

No, I wouldnt call it outrage, its more one of curiosity based on my understanding of the guidelines.

I suppose I may have asked questions about that one too... but it wasnt listed as a PMO event.

You gotta love it when some make your question out to be more than it is. I agree, you don't seem outraged, just wondering why??

I'd figure out the coordinates of the event, easy to do, and just show up. Unless they have cache police at the door they will not know you are not a Premium Member.

Then you will have to log it using the backdoor method. But that has not been fixed since it was broken over a month ago so you will have to wait.

If you want to see the event page itself, without being a Premium Member you will have to use a super seret method that I think only works for UNPUBLISHED caches, but I could be wrong.

Event Caches

Calling all cachers to an adventursome breakfest. We will be gathering for breakfest at local eating establsihment that has been the sight of may geo-gatherings and events.

The above is from the cache page. So it looks like anyone is welcome to attend. You might not be able to log it if you're not PM

I just can't help but wonder how much anger would have surfaced had this been a men's only weekend event. I know several cachers who would see nothing wrong with a women's only event that would scream if it was men only. Things that make me go "What?"

With that and the members only event I don't really care. I will admit a bit of curiosity. What is the thinking behind it? I could make assumptions but without input from the cache owners it amounts to nothing more that speculation.

Well, for really extreme limited-attendance geo events, I remember reading in the forums last year that an Alabama cacher was planning to hold an event which was only open to Satanic mechanics and transvestites from Transsexual, Transylvania. I saw nothing wrong with that event, either, despite the fact that most of us would not have been allowed to attend.

And, I have attended one event -- which obviously had a very small attendance -- which was open only to geocachers who had found twelve particular pre-selected extreme terrain caches located in the MD/WV/PA area. Not a problem for me either.

BTW, the spelling on the event listing page under discussion on this thread is atrocious! It gives me a headache and crossed- eyes every time I try to read the description text on the event page! :D:D

... Well, for really extreme limited-attendance geo events, I remember reading in the forums last year that an Alabama cacher was planning to hold an event which was only open to Satanic mechanics and transvestites from Transsexual, Transylvania. I saw nothing wrong with that event, either, despite the fact that most of us would not have been allowed to attend.

Of course you could have come... I said that it was open to ALL Satanic mechanics and transvestites from Transsexual, Transylvania, no matter where you now reside! :D

Oh... on the OP - Events should be free and open to anyone.

Event Caches

Ok, I have seen enough and I have to ask this question. WHY DO YOU CARE WHAT WE DO??? You are in Arizona and we are in Florida. If you read your own dern forums you would have seen that NEFGA and that is North East Florida Geocachers Assoc. WON the all over world BEST geo Org. this past year. So my question to you Mr. skraeling is " WHY DO YOU CARE? " and Who are you to question us on How we roll down here in Florida? Let it lay and forget about other peoples business and mind your own!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I have seen enough and I have to ask this question. WHY DO YOU CARE WHAT WE DO??? You are in Arizona and we are in Florida. If you read your own dern forums you would have seen that NEFGA and that is North East Florida Geocachers Assoc. WON the all over world BEST geo Org. this past year. So my question to you Mr. skraeling is " WHY DO YOU CARE? " and Who are you to question us on How we roll down here in Florida? Let it lay and forget about other peoples business and mind your own!!!!!!!!!!

How'd y'all score in the area of civility? Bet you won in the humility contest too.

We "WON the all over world BEST geo Org. this past year."

Dang... I didn't know that!

That's so cool! Since I am a member of NEFGA I guess I got me some braggin to do.

I've always thought that people should do things my way or go stuff themselves... being a member of "the all over world BEST geo Org." is further validation. :D

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Try replacing the "Why do you care what we do???" with "Why are you interested in what we do?"

These 'dern forums' are open for viewing and comments from all geocachers who wish to participate. (Yes, even those 4000 miles away in l'il ol' Wales, U.K.)

This section is Geocaching Topics. Most of us attend events from time to time and it's very unusual to see one listed as PMs only: not unexpectedly it has attracted attention and speculation.

Instead of shouting in uppercase from there in Florida (I can hear you from way over here) you could participate and tell us about your event and reasons for the restriction...

or not.

But we are allowed to discuss it.

MrsB :D

I am also a member of NEFGA and really, why does it matter what they do a couple of thousand miles away? I'm sure if the OP were actually interested in the event and was going to attend, they would welcome them with open arms, in fact they would probably hold an event just for them since they were from out of state.

I'm sure if there were any issues in the fact that it is a member's only cache, it would have been mentioned during the review process.

Sometimes the drama in these forums gets old...

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town's fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

Sounds okay to me. My interpretation of the rules is that any cache may be set up as PMO, and, in this case, the organizer set up the event as a PMO event. What is wrong with that? There are already many events across the wold which are far more restrictive than that, in that they are open only to geocachers who have found a certain series of caches or who have completed a particular cache or challenge or other additional requirement.

It sounds OK to me too. If it wasn't then they wouldn't allow it.

Event Caches

Phew! Finally! A breath of fresh air! Thank you for telling it like it is! Excellent post!

... Well, for really extreme limited-attendance geo events, I remember reading in the forums last year that an Alabama cacher was planning to hold an event which was only open to Satanic mechanics and transvestites from Transsexual, Transylvania. I saw nothing wrong with that event, either, despite the fact that most of us would not have been allowed to attend.

Of course you could have come... I said that it was open to ALL Satanic mechanics and transvestites from Transsexual, Transylvania, no matter where you now reside! :D

Thanks for the clarification, but NOW YOU TELL ME! :D:D:D

Oh... on the OP - Events should be free and open to anyone.

I feel that admission to events should be free or near-free (except for fees charged by restaurants or pubs for meals eaten, etc.), but I will say once again that I have NO problem with some events having limitations upon who is eligible to attend.

I've often thought of posting an event that required a two mile plus hike just to get to the gathering spot. I suppose this would exclude non-hikers

That was done in Arizona by someone other than the OP of this thread. For those who attended, it was well received. When he tried to post another hiking event, TPTB said no, its too exclusive. So why is a hiking event not acceptable when a members only event, or a ladies only event acceptable? Some of us in Arizona are confused.

I've often thought of posting an event that required a two mile plus hike just to get to the gathering spot. I suppose this would exclude non-hikers

That was done in Arizona by someone other than the OP of this thread. For those who attended, it was well received. When he tried to post another hiking event, TPTB said no, its too exclusive. So why is a hiking event not acceptable when a members only event, or a ladies only event acceptable? Some of us in Arizona are confused.

2 mile hike is too exclusive? Wow! :D

Have a look at the event held here in UK yesterday: 6 mile round hike, in temperatures 3 degrees below freezing, and it started at 6am! :D

About 40 cachers turned up and enjoyed ever minute apparently :D

Winter (Hill) Solstice event.

MrsB

I would agree with this. Are the often blatent inconsistencies of the volunteer reviewer system rearing their ugly head again? :D

I've often thought of posting an event that required a two mile plus hike just to get to the gathering spot. I suppose this would exclude non-hikers :D . A while back on this forum, someone posted pictures of a kayak only event talk about excluding people. :D

If I had wished to attend the kayaking event, I could have rented a kayak. (This would probably have made national headlines: Dolphin in Kayak!) If I were not a premium member, and wished to attend a "PMO" event, I could pay the $10 (they've changed this from $3 per month, to $10 for three months?). That would have been quite a bit cheaper than renting a kayak!

There was nothing to prevent me from renting the kayak, or logging the tough terrain caches cited elsewhere. Or hiking the two miles. All of those are open to me, if I choose to meet the requirements.

Event Caches

The question is still valid no matter who's cache it is or where it will take place. An event cache can be published as a member only cache and the OP wants to know if we all think that is right. You area cache was used as an example. So what?

I've often thought of posting an event that required a two mile plus hike just to get to the gathering spot. I suppose this would exclude non-hikers :D . A while back on this forum, someone posted pictures of a kayak only event talk about excluding people. :D

If I had wished to attend the kayaking event, I could have rented a kayak. (This would probably have made national headlines: Dolphin in Kayak!) If I were not a premium member, and wished to attend a "PMO" event, I could pay the $10 (they've changed this from $3 per month, to $10 for three months?). That would have been quite a bit cheaper than renting a kayak!

There was nothing to prevent me from renting the kayak, or logging the tough terrain caches cited elsewhere. Or hiking the two miles. All of those are open to me, if I choose to meet the requirements.

Good point. :D

I am also a member of NEFGA and really, why does it matter what they do a couple of thousand miles away? I'm sure if the OP were actually interested in the event and was going to attend, they would welcome them with open arms, in fact they would probably hold an event just for them since they were from out of state.

I'm sure if there were any issues in the fact that it is a member's only cache, it would have been mentioned during the review process.

Sometimes the drama in these forums gets old...

Seems the thread was quite civil with a very low degree of drama,,, well, at least until horseshoechamp, and now you, showed up. The OP was curious and asked a question. Now that i've seen the listing, i'm also curious as to why a person or group would make an event pmo. You can tell me all you want that it's none of my business but i am still curious and will ask the simple question. Why pmo? why the exclusion of non paying gc.com members?

You all just have way too much time on your hands (LMAO).

Consider your chain yanked. :D

Should anyone from the greater Arizona area who is not a premium member have an interest in attending this closed, exclusive, restrictive event, shoot me an email. As for the rest, have fun on the forums, I'm going caching. :D

We care what you do in the same way that we care if a hurricane floats away half of your beautiful state, and blows away the rest. :D

I would say he did it just to see how many of you he could get to post on the subject. Its a well published event in the local forums and has been talked about for months at events and local gatherings. So i would guess that the guess of there being 40 or 50 posts on the subject was well within the original estimate on how long this thread would last when someone found the event was PMO. :-) its so fun to bush buttons :-)...

Event Caches

I agree with you.

Personally I would like to have as many cachers at any event I host. But if they just plan on keeping it small because of space at the "event at a nationally renowned eatery you'd need to be off your rocker to not enjoy." then let them do what they want. Every reviewer does things differently and allows thing that others would not allow, that's why they call them "Guide Lines" and not rules.

If I did that up here I would never hear the end of it.

Just wondering if anyone thought that maybe the size of the location is the restrictive factor here? NEFGA has over-filled many restaurants in the past, so maybe the thought here is to keep it to a smaller number as to not upset the establishment.... Maybe they will allow more events there if we do not crowd out the regulars...

Then again, maybe he did it just to drive y'all crazy here. Who knows...

I think it's a vast 'gubment' conspiracy. NEFGA is home to both the Ocala and the Osceola National Forests, which are both rife with sightings of alien grays, black Suburbans, New World Order troops, aluminum foil deflector beanies, (AFDBs), black helicopters, The Great Cthulhu, untimely Smurf deaths, Illuminati henchmen, cryptic codes on the backs of street signs, and all manner of other unimaginable horrors. :grin:

(or it could be Dave's just pokin' a little fun...) :ninja:

Nah! I'll stick to my paranoid rantings! :P:)

I think it's a vast 'gubment' conspiracy. NEFGA is home to both the Ocala and the Osceola National Forests, which are both rife with sightings of alien grays, black Suburbans, New World Order troops, aluminum foil deflector beanies, (AFDBs), black helicopters, The Great Cthulhu, untimely Smurf deaths, Illuminati henchmen, cryptic codes on the backs of street signs, and all manner of other unimaginable horrors.

And Skunk Apes. You forgot Skunk Apes. :ninja:

You all just have way too much time on your hands (LMAO).

Consider your chain yanked. :grin:

Should anyone from the greater Arizona area who is not a premium member have an interest in attending this closed, exclusive, restrictive event, shoot me an email. As for the rest, have fun on the forums, I'm going caching. :P

Believe me, i'm not worried about how you guys throw an event but i am really curious as to why you would list one as pmo. Who's chain are you yanking? Is it the chain of a new person who would like to learn more about caching by attending an event but cannot see the coordinates and does not know or think they ought to contact you through an email to ask if they can attend?

You say here to just ask and you'd be happy to give out the coordinates to anyone who is interested but to be honest, if i was not a premium member, i wouldn't ask because it seems clear to me that i wasn't invited in the first place.

I realize that there may be another reason, such as keeping the crowd number down, but i would think that ya'll would work on rectifying that problem (find a bigger meeting place, maybe?) instead of limiting who can attend. I know you have your reason but my tiny brain just doesn't see it... :ninja:

Aww man...I wanted to go to this event but my 'Members Only' status has temporarily lapsed so I KNOW I would have been turned away at the door. Because everyone who is really anyone knows that that is exactly how NEFGA is...

I was gonna bring a pocket cache, too....oh, well, y'alls loss...