New to this

Beau42

The main problem is that car nav GPSr are $$$, delicate, and not waterproof. This is a bad combination stomping around in mud and briars.

I'd pick up a cheap used etrex (yellow, legend, whatever) with the cable so you can use that for bolting out of the car and snagging caches.

Edited by fratermus

This is probably a really stupid question but do I need a special GPS or is a car model usable?

I started with a Garmin QuestII car GPS. It's protable and can be switched to off-road use. Battery life is about 18 hours and fairly waterproof to a point.

I started off with it, but soon switched to a Legend HCx - then a 60CSx. Too much of a pain to constantly pull the QuestII, switch to off-road, then back to the vehicle to on-road to the next cache.

Edited by wkmccall

I have a very good, outdoor handheld GPSr, the DeLorme PN-40. I am fortunate to also have a factory installed, in-dash GPS/NAV system with a 3" x 5" screen in my Jeep.

There is very little functional overlap between the two. I don't address find and road route with one and I can't geocache with the other. Outside of that, ....................... :D

I am fortunate to also have a factory installed, in-dash GPS/NAV system with a 3" x 5" screen in my Jeep.

JEEP really dropped the ball on that one, Bluetooth (but only for your phone) no TOPOs, can't directly input co-ords... Does work really good underground (parking structures, tunnels, etc.).