People wanting to steal or destroy caches?

TampaDude

Ever run into people like this guy???

*** Foul language warning *** the link below leads to a site that is not family friendly.

http://www.tampaforums.com/forums/free-4-a...caching-336895/

While I don't know if a cache owner would have any legal recourse (unless the cache was on their property), I'd imagine pissing off a lot of people you don't know is not a smart thing to do. Sooner or later, you're gonna regret it.

Moderator edit: add foul language warning to the link.

Edited by Moose Mob

While I don't know if a cache owner would have any legal recourse (unless the cache was on their property), I'd imagine pissing off a lot of people you don't know is not a smart thing to do. Sooner or later, you're gonna regret it.

WHat you do is make your caches Members only caches, most if these idiot are not going to want to pay for premium mebership. With the MO statis of your cache at least yours are going to be protected. I had a problem about a year and a half ago with some one destrouying my caches. For some reason my caches got targeted. I just made all my caches Members only caches, some of them I even relocated just enough so that I they had the coordinates they would not be the correct ones. To this almost all my hides are members only hides. And the problem of my caches being destroyed has not been an issue.

WHat you do is make your caches Members only caches, most if these idiot are not going to want to pay for premium mebership. With the MO statis of your cache at least yours are going to be protected. I had a problem about a year and a half ago with some one destrouying my caches. For some reason my caches got targeted. I just made all my caches Members only caches, some of them I even relocated just enough so that I they had the coordinates they would not be the correct ones. To this almost all my hides are members only hides. And the problem of my caches being destroyed has not been an issue.

Thanks for the tip! I'll remember that if and when I start placing caches. For now, I'm just hunting, and there are far too many caches out there for someone to mess with them all, so I'm not worried about some lazy, bitter person like that. In your situation, it sounds like someone had a beef against you personally, not against geocaching in general. If someone was vandalizing caches in a certain area, it would be fairly easy to bait him or her with a new cache and catch him or her in the act.

Lets look at a lame scale.

10 being the least lame and zero being the most.

Now lets take this guys opinion and assign Geocaching a 0.

Now we use logic and assign finding and destroying caches -1.

I mean if finding a cache to sign a log is lame then funding a cache to destroy it has to be that much more lame.

Frankly If I'm approaching GZ and I see some one taking a dump in a container that fits the size range of what I'm hunting, then my steel toe is gonna meet a soft target. :rolleyes:

~~~edit~~~

spelling

Edited by Vater_Araignee

Frankly If I'm approaching GZ and I see some one taking a dump in a container that fits the size range of what I'm hunting, then my steel toe is gonna meet a soft target. <_<

Your reply reminded me of a cache my son-in-law and I found in the Fayetteville, NC area. It was a cache hidden back in some medium sized second growth. We didn't find the cache, but we did find a place where an individual decided he had to take a dump. Whether they knew a cache was hidden there or not, we have no idea. But it hastened or departure. :rolleyes:

Well, first, if you will take the time to visit the Tampa forum and read the thread, you will discover that the person on that forum who originated the "let's trash geocaches" post turns out to be under house arrest for a previous offense. Even better, it seems that her/his vocabulary is limited largely to the "F" word, which is really impressive. sigh...!

Next, if you are truly worried about the possibility of your caches being destroyed or stolen, you may wish to change them to Premium member only caches; that drastically limits the number of vermin that can view the cache listing page and discover the cache waypoint coordinates. It also offers other helpful options as well, such as the visitor log.

Lastly, if such behaviors do become a problem in your area, and assuming that it is legal or at least somewhat permissible under the local laws of your region, territory, or country, the most expeditious, smooth and trouble-free way to address the situation may simply be to hire an ultra-assassin to quickly and quietly take out the clueless offender. These professional assassins are highly-trained, often have extensive military and paramilitary backgrounds, provide their own equipment and tools, travel anywhere in world to reach jobsites, and will often get the job done within 12 to 24 hours of your first call, assuming that you have an expeditious method of getting funds to them quickly (some of the agencies even accept Paypal.)

Although there are many agencies serving this field, the agency that seems to be most frequently used by geocachers for dealing with problem cachers (i.e., cache pirates, cache thieves, coin thieves, etc.) -- and yes, they do have a website -- is Hired Assassin Agency (aka HAA) . This particular service also offers Eyewitness Elimination Services (EES) as part and parcel of its normal "hit" package.

Please do not pursue this route unless it is legal in your region or country, and unless you are fully comfortable with this pathway on a moral and ethical level.

Have fun!

Read through their posts, sounds like frat boys who have way too much time on their hands. I mean come on, its not someone on house arrest is a bastion of public decency.

But really, if the do tamper with the caches, perhaps legal recourse could be enacted, especially since they are dumb enough to put it on a public forum for us to read and possibly be able to source their IP address and find them GPS or not.

Hmmm, that could be a sport in & of it self! :D

Are... are we feeding the trolls right now?

youre probly right...... :o

Yeah, but Funk's thread was a fun read. :ninja:

A lame little weiner on house arrest calling everyone here lame and a homo and threatening to take a dump in caches. How old is he? He sounds about 13, so I'm betting 19. Too funny. :grin::P:)

I haven't had such a good laugh in quite some time. He needs to save his allowance money. He'll need it to buy cigaretts in prison with that kind of attitude. Big "L" :anibad::D:D:laughing::laughing:

BTW Funk. I'm laughing at you. Not with you. Thanks so much for entertaining me. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

They're called cache maggots and just want attention. Give it to them and they thrive; ignore them and hopefully they go away.

Cache maggots...heh heh...I like that... :ninja:

Man, what an F-bomb filled forum that is. :grin: Yeah, these "cache maggots" have been around since very early on, all over the place. Members only caches were basically created to combat them. Funny, two caches (within .1 mile of each other) were crapped in about 5 years apart in my area. There's a series of like 6 letterboxes along the same section of rail trail. I always wondered if the letterboxes were pooped in.....

Yeah, that is definitely some punk kid on that forum. They never can seem to find the capital key on their keyboard, can they? :P

keystone?

Are... are we feeding the trolls right now?

youre probly right...... :o

Yeah, but Funk's thread was a fun read. :ninja:

A lame little weiner on house arrest calling everyone here lame and a homo and threatening to take a dump in caches. How old is he? He sounds about 13, so I'm betting 19. Too funny. :grin::P:)

I haven't had such a good laugh in quite some time. He needs to save his allowance money. He'll need it to buy cigaretts in prison with that kind of attitude. Big "L" :anibad::D:D:laughing::laughing:

BTW Funk. I'm laughing at you. Not with you. Thanks so much for entertaining me. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Why would the mods allow this thread to go on knowing that it leads to language like that? :laughing:

Here you go.

Dude. Get it right! :D

It's FLUFFY Bunnies & Kittens.

Ya never, NEVER leave yer BUNNIES behind!!! :D

cottoncandy.jpgkittenbunny-779191.jpg

:ninja::grin: But neither taste as good as the Cotton Candy :P:)

I only see 2 food items there. I'll give you a hint "They aint pink with a cone sticking outta their butts".

How old is he? He sounds about 13, so I'm betting 19.

Close. Assuming his publicly linked MySpace account is accurate, he's 22.

57fb7dc7-3bcd-4a49-bb91-e04980b35b9b.jpg

Gotta love goobers. They make normal people look so much better. :D:D:D

Wow! My mental picture was soooo CLOSE. :laughing:

Love, love, LOVE the whole "Two in the pink...yadda yadda" pose. :wub::o:o That's reeeeally gonna impress potential employers when they do some net digging on him when he tries to join the work force. :o:wub:

Lookin' forward to them trolling the thread as they threatend on their forum. :):laughing:

This is THE BEST thread in months. IMO. :D

Edited by Snoogans

Gotta love goobers. They make normal people look so much better. :):o:D

Love, love, LOVE the whole "Two in the pink...yadda yadda" pose. :laughing::wub::o That's reeeeally gonna impress potential employers when they do some net digging on him when he tries to join the work force. :o:wub:

~clip~

That would be index up center fingers together pinky down. But then again he does resemble an Urban Billy Jim Jo Bob Haws so maybe he thinks he is doing it right. Or he is so extremely stupid that he is flashing a sign he obviously has no affiliation with and if we are lucky he'll get popped, better yet plugged then popped.

<<removed by moderator>> <---not for nambipambies to translate.

Edited by Moose Mob

Gotta love goobers. They make normal people look so much better. :D:):D

Love, love, LOVE the whole "Two in the pink...yadda yadda" pose. :laughing::o:o That's reeeeally gonna impress potential employers when they do some net digging on him when he tries to join the work force. :o:wub:

~clip~

That would be index up center fingers together pinky down. But then again he does resemble an Urban Billy Jim Jo Bob Haws so maybe he thinks he is doing it right. Or he is so extremely stupid that he is flashing a sign he obviously has no affiliation with and if we are lucky he'll get popped, better yet plugged then popped.

<<removed by moderator>> <---not for nambipambies to translate.

Well, I was gonna post that you got it wrong yourself, but they beat me to it in classic fashion in their forum thread on page 6. Yer gonna love it. :wub:

I saved the address if the link gets cut. Anyone that wants it can pm me...

I just sent the following to the "Tampa Forums" webmaster, as well as a similar letter to the local Chamber of Commerce:

This thread:

<Don't need to include the address again. I'll save the mods a step if they decide to remove the link.>

is way out of hand.

As an avid geocacher, I find the discussion disturbing. Allowing serious discussion of what amounts to vandalism go unmoderated is irresponsible at best. Allowing a known criminal (Funk) to incite others to leave feces for others, including small children, to find would be considered criminal by many.

I know many a geocacher who would pay good money to take you to court over this. Doesn't matter who would win or loose, you'd still have to pay to defend yourself. Wouldn't it be simpler to have a passable excuse of a moderator on this board?

As a cacher who will plan trips based on where I want to cache, I think I will be avoiding your region based on what I've read here. I'll be sending a message to your local Cambers of Commerce telling them what I think about this forum that apparently claims to represent the region. We'll see what they think about this, as well. Maybe they'll have the sense and the connections to shut this board down altogether.

Sincerely,

Too Tall John

That's right, hit 'em where it hurts. I bet someone on the local CoC knows Funk's parole officer, too... :laughing:

I just sent the following to the "Tampa Forums" webmaster, as well as a similar letter to the local Chamber of Commerce:

This thread:

<Don't need to include the address again. I'll save the mods a step if they decide to remove the link.>

is way out of hand.

As an avid geocacher, I find the discussion disturbing. Allowing serious discussion of what amounts to vandalism go unmoderated is irresponsible at best. Allowing a known criminal (Funk) to incite others to leave feces for others, including small children, to find would be considered criminal by many.

I know many a geocacher who would pay good money to take you to court over this. Doesn't matter who would win or loose, you'd still have to pay to defend yourself. Wouldn't it be simpler to have a passable excuse of a moderator on this board?

As a cacher who will plan trips based on where I want to cache, I think I will be avoiding your region based on what I've read here. I'll be sending a message to your local Cambers of Commerce telling them what I think about this forum that apparently claims to represent the region. We'll see what they think about this, as well. Maybe they'll have the sense and the connections to shut this board down altogether.

Sincerely,

Too Tall John

That's right, hit 'em where it hurts. I bet someone on the local CoC knows Funk's parole officer, too... :laughing:

I applaud you for doing this,I'd like to see any results from this. Fortunately, every GeoCacher I've met here in Tampa is pretty darn cool.

This thread:

is way out of hand.

Sincerely,

Too Tall John

That's right, hit 'em where it hurts. I bet someone on the local CoC knows Funk's parole officer, too... :wub:

I applaud you for doing this,I'd like to see any results from this. Fortunately, every GeoCacher I've met here in Tampa is pretty darn cool.

ROFLMAO I bet funky chicken is feeling some dampness. It wouldn't be hard to find his probation officer either with all the information on hand. We have his age, a picture, and we know he most probably wears an ankle monitor.

What he is proposing/inciting others to do IS an offense and most likely would violate him from his probation if someone took a soiled cache to his P.O. It doesn't even have to be his urine/fecal matter because of his incitement to get others to do it.

Imagine that. He could start learning how to be a real grown up criminal in jail right away instead of the petulent little weiner criminal he tries to be online.... and poorly at that. :laughing:

22 is old enough for some big boy lessons. Now who wants to pull the trigger and take action. If it were in my home areas, I wouldn't waste my time on such a bothersome gnat even if one of my own caches were hit. Now, if my little boy came into contact with one of his soiled caches. The gloves would come off. :laughing:

It appears their geocaching bashing forum was locked this morning. :laughing:
...and I got the following from Zate, the closer of the thread, in response to my message:
Feel free to take who ever you like to court John, it wont be us. While I dont support anything in that thread, hating on geocaching isnt against the rules of TF. We arent responsible for what our users like and dislike.

However, signing up for other forums to harass them IS against our rules and I've slapped a 7 day ban on 2 of the instigators. i'm sure that probably wont stop them from hating on geocaching, but it will stop them from using our forums to do it.

Zate

On the 1st part, he's wrong, we could take him to court. We wouldn't win, but the point was to get him to pay attention. It worked. See 2nd part. :laughing:

As far as how Funk feels about all this, all he knows is he's been banned from both forums. Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Oh, wait, he demonstrated signs of that before he was banned... :laughing:

It appears their geocaching bashing forum was locked this morning. :laughing:
...and I got the following from Zate, the closer of the thread, in response to my message:
Feel free to take who ever you like to court John, it wont be us. While I dont support anything in that thread, hating on geocaching isnt against the rules of TF. We arent responsible for what our users like and dislike.

However, signing up for other forums to harass them IS against our rules and I've slapped a 7 day ban on 2 of the instigators. i'm sure that probably wont stop them from hating on geocaching, but it will stop them from using our forums to do it.

Zate

On the 1st part, he's wrong, we could take him to court. We wouldn't win, but the point was to get him to pay attention. It worked. See 2nd part. :laughing:

As far as how Funk feels about all this, all he knows is he's been banned from both forums. Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Oh, wait, he demonstrated signs of that before he was banned... :laughing:

Interesting the only reason he/she banned the offenders is because they signed up on this forum to harass. Nothing about the exessive language. I guess they are ok with that.

I just sent the following to the "Tampa Forums" webmaster

What's sad is the sticky threads for that forum specifically prohibit the exact same type of behavior 9/10th of the participants in the thread are displaying. Threats of moderation, without the consequence of moderation, apparently result in verbal anarchy.

Man, I've never seen anything like that even on usenet!! Verbal anarchy it is. Funk is really going to mess with geocaches now. Except that house arrest thing might make it a little difficult. :laughing:

Seriously? You guys are about the most paranoid schizophrenics I have ever experienced in my entire life. I never had any intentions of actually defecating in your little fun boxes. But your enthusiasm for my actions prompts certain behavior to be distilled upon them. I smirk at the actions you people think are necessary. People like you guys make me more aware of my disdain for society in general, I hope you feel secure in your pathetic reaction to a judgement of your hobby, because it is laughable at best. I hope you guys can take a step back and took a good long look at yourself and understand your pathetic reactions. If you do ever stumble across a geocache that has been vandalized realize it was not me, because as much as I would love to inconvenience your day, it is honestly not worth my time. Have a wonderful day basking in your group efforts of being completely retarded.