Easiest GPS for the GPS Illiterate

hattie81

We are new to Geocaching and wish to purchase a GPS. I am wondering what is the easiest unit to use and the most user friendly, with the best performance. We want to spend time caching...not becoming frustrated with a new unit that is difficult to use. The Delorme PN-40 sound interesting but I understand it has a steep learning curve. The Colorado seems like a good unit but my understanding is you have to buy a good share of extras if you want to play, such as maps. Can anyone explain these issues to us? Thanks for any help.

We are new to Geocaching and wish to purchase a GPS. I am wondering what is the easiest unit to use and the most user friendly, with the best performance. We want to spend time caching...not becoming frustrated with a new unit that is difficult to use. The Delorme PN-40 sound interesting but I understand it has a steep learning curve. The Colorado seems like a good unit but my understanding is you have to buy a good share of extras if you want to play, such as maps. Can anyone explain these issues to us? Thanks for any help.

We use a Garmin Venture HC for our GPS and GSAK/cachemate for software. This combo is so easy to use, my 11 year old uses this for Geocaching.

Once caches are uploaded, you just chose geocaching from the menu on the GPSr, then it will show you, in order, geocaches you have not found that are closest to you.

To use cachemate, you need a Palm Pilot of some sort, that will bring you to paperless bliss.

Besides, the GPSr, the Palm Pilot, and software will cost you about 200 dollars including shipping. Not that much to have tons of paperless fun.

Joe

The simplest unit to have used to be the Magellan Explorist series.

Out of the current series of handheld GPS units, I would say the Garmin Oregon series with it's touch screen. It's all you need, you won't need all this extra software or headaches like cachemate, GSAK, buying a PDA etc...