magellan 315 any good for newbie

milo2145

hi guys

i just started geocaching, and my husband has a magellan 315 which he had used when he went hunting, we used it this weekend to go geocaching and we found 2 caches! it was really exciting.

is this a good gps to use - to me it seemed really complicated to use, but that may be just because i have never used one before. we have had this one probably about 8 years, so i assume the newer ones have much better features for geocaching?

thanks for the help

hi guys

i just started geocaching, and my husband has a magellan 315 which he had used when he went hunting, we used it this weekend to go geocaching and we found 2 caches! it was really exciting.

is this a good gps to use - to me it seemed really complicated to use, but that may be just because i have never used one before. we have had this one probably about 8 years, so i assume the newer ones have much better features for geocaching?

thanks for the help

Welcome to geocaching! You'll probably get a lot of opinions about which GPSr is "best".

I started with a Magellan Meridian Gold (still have it) and currently use a Garmin Vista HCX. One of the more revered and well know cachers in my state has always used a Magellan 315 and is currently at 1252 finds and 19 hides. So, yes the 315 works for geocaching.

True, there are other models with much faster processors, newer features and more accurate chips. Certainly the 315 is old technology and Magellan tech support is virtually non-existent. But, you already have it so why not use it for a while and enjoy caching?

Go to some of the caching events in Texas. As you meet other cachers and see what GPSr they use you'll probably upgrade in the future, but it will be from an experienced, informed decision. Have fun.

If you can find it on Magellan's site you should upgrade the firmware to the latest version ( which I believe is by coincidence v315 ). It reduced the speed required to break out of "position averaging" which would stop the unit from updating the position if you were moving slowly. It also stopped the requirement for the "maggie dance" (wildly waving the unit at arms length to break out of "position averaging")