Penny Cache, nickle cache, dime cache...

I'm interested is placing a series (not a multicache) of caches named Penny Cache, Nickle Cache, Dime Cache, and Quarter Cache. These will be microcaches using a 35 mm film canister.

Once the cache is found, you will be asked to replace the coin inside with an older coin. Of course, I'll start with a recently minted coin (such as 2008 or 2007) and see how old the coin can get.

Has this been done before?

What problems might arise?

How do you let the searcher know what year coin is currently in the cache so they can bring an older coin to leave?

Karalot Stables

Thinking out of the box

BTW, had our first cache found again yesterday. Got a nice log entry that this was the first time they had seen a cache designed as such.

Edited by KaralotStables

Interesting idea,

1.) As long as its listed as a mystery cache, you can list that you can only log the find if you have the right Penny/Nickle/Dime/Quarter to go into it. If they do not trade for the right date, then you can delete there log for it.

2.) Just make sure the the previous finder posts what date coin was just dropped.

3.) The next person that wants to find it should bring 3 coins (of lesser numbers) with them just in case.

Other then that good luck. After a while though the cache will most likely stop having activity due to lack of coins in the market with older dates. How many Quarters with a 1950 and lower have you found?

If you want to limit the finders pool to those who are willing to trade for an older coin, then genegene has

described the way to do it.Cache to be listed as Mystery for the additional logging requirement, and the lgging requirement should include noting the coin date in the online log.

Personally, I'd make each cache a traditional with an OPTIONAL request/requirement on the trade of newer for older, with that noted in the log.

If you go with the required trade, be prepared to police and delete logs. A "fun" and popular part of the geocaching experience. And the cache will be self limited on finds, as genegene has noted, once the coin dates get back into the mid 20th century.

Neat idea. I've seen less restrictive versions which have worked out well.

Other than the obvious logging issues which have already been mentioned, the only concern I see is you're deliberately choosing a container which has been demonstrated to be inadequate at protecting its contents. Depending on where you are in North Carolina, (probably my favorite state in the Union!), your ground vapors might be as bad as they are here in Florida, which will kwickly render your contents rather soggy. If you wanted to, you could upgrade to a container that is not the poster child of lame hides. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

-Sean

This sounds like a novel idea and I hate to be the only one so far that addresses a possible draw back. And that is, as the coins that are dropped get older, they could be easy prey to an unscrupulous person who might take it for his or her private collection. But then you run into that with Geocoins. :rolleyes:

I stand corrected. I see that genegene voiced one having to do with the cache idea as well.

Edited by Walkworthy

I'm interested is placing a series (not a multicache) of caches named Penny Cache, Nickle Cache, Dime Cache, and Quarter Cache. These will be microcaches using a 35 mm film canister.

Once the cache is found, you will be asked to replace the coin inside with an older coin. Of course, I'll start with a recently minted coin (such as 2008 or 2007) and see how old the coin can get.

Has this been done before?

How do you let the searcher know what year coin is currently in the cache so they can bring an older coin to leave?

Karalot Stables

Thinking out of the box

BTW, had our first cache found again yesterday. Got a nice log entry that this was the first time they had seen a cache designed as such.

Mondo's Coin Cache III

The only problem I've seen is some cacher's don't understand the requirements of logging.

OP,

Put 10 in each this would give more opportunity to trade.

Penny draw back Pre 1982 pennies are worth more than one cent.

I'm an avid collector of them.

Even though I have a role +1 of steel pennies (1943-44), if I saw one in you cache I might get trapped at it for a few hours wile I fight with myself.

I also love 44-46 because of the streaks in them, could cause a slightly shorter fight with myself.

And oh man don't let a 1955 doubled-die end up in there, there will be no fight, I'll give up more than a steel for it.