Cache in plane sight.

Kramer99

I have drove miles for a cache, just to drive by because people are in the area. I want the cache, but don,t want to let the people in the area see the cache. There are alot of micros where I live, that are on busy roads. So should I just find the cache or keep driving by until I think it is clear? I have alot more fun when the cache is away from clear veiw. I can take pictures and read logs.

Edited by Kramer99

A couple ideas:

Park such that the car is between the cache and the muggles.

Park, then wait a bit for them to clear out.

Go find other caches nearby while you wait out the muggles.

Don't drive miles out of your way for a single cache. It seems like a waste to me. Find other caches in the area, or only try to make the find when you're driving by that location en route to someplace else.

I used to worry about that too, but after a while realized no one was really looking at me as I loitered about. I've often used the ploy of pretending to tie my shoe laces, even when wearing sandals :rolleyes: Well, maybe not that bad, but still.....

Anyway, it does feel uncomfortable at first, but after a while if you are cautious, you will succeed. The only ones I skip are those in neighborhoods that appear to be in someone's front yard. I don't have any comfort level for those yet.

I used to worry about that too, but after a while realized no one was really looking at me as I loitered about. I've often used the ploy of pretending to tie my shoe laces, even when wearing sandals :rolleyes: Well, maybe not that bad, but still.....

Anyway, it does feel uncomfortable at first, but after a while if you are cautious, you will succeed. The only ones I skip are those in neighborhoods that appear to be in someone's front yard. I don't have any comfort level for those yet.

I have two caches in Salina Utah that are in peoples yards. I won't look for them. I hate being watched!

That's why I like to look around before, I look for a cache. I don't want to be the one to show some kids where a cache might be. Or be the last one to sign a log and find out the cache is gone. Alot of work goes into some of these caches. I feel greatfull to be able to do this.

I have drove miles for a cache, just to drive by because people are in the area. I want the cache, but don,t want to let the people in the area see the cache. There are alot of micros where I live, that are on busy roads. So should I just find the cache or keep driving by until I think it is clear? I have alot more fun when the cache is away from clear veiw. I can take pictures and read logs.

Utah has to have caches that are off the road in spots where you can search in solitude. Just ignore the caches that you are uncomfortable with.

Utah has to have caches that are off the road in spots where you can search in solitude. Just ignore the caches that you are uncomfortable with.

For sure!!! Thanks. I see alot of people with 1000 to 3000 finds. That why I thought I would ask. Thanks guys.

This brings up a question I have...

I was caching in some light rain; found a cache in the parking lot of a mall; a few muggles around, plus some rain. Instead of just standing there and signing the log, I took it about 80 feet away and had lunch, quick hot dog(I love Kaspers!), signed it, then replaced it; is that ok or did I break some kind of caching law? Lunch was only about 15 minutes.

Oh...

It was a weekday about 11:30ish am

Edited by SkellyCA

Thanks ! I will stay away from caches I don't feel good about.,

Why stay away, with a little practice any cache can be gotten even under the nose of a non cacher.

Besides when you are drinving by the cache you cannot tell if non cachers are to close, just park and take a look. You could always lite up a big smelly cigar, that might chase the non cachers away :rolleyes:

I was caching in some light rain; found a cache in the parking lot of a mall; a few muggles around, plus some rain. Instead of just standing there and signing the log, I took it about 80 feet away and had lunch, quick hot dog(I love Kaspers!), signed it, then replaced it; is that ok or did I break some kind of caching law? Lunch was only about 15 minutes.

Oh...

Could you see GZ from 80 feet away?

Had the cache been published 15 minutes ago? 15 days ago? 15 months ago?

Was it the type of cache you might expect to search 15 minutes for, or 1 minute.

All those factors would contribute to my decision. And I'm not going to say you did anything wrong regardless. But if you could see GZ, and another cacher happened by, you were in a position to prevent a DNF. And, the longer a cache has been around, the less likely someone will drop by to search for it. Especially in a 15 minute window. The harder a find is perceived to be, the longer a searcher would be to extend their search. Allowing you time to return with the cache. Just some things to keep in mind if ever faced with a similar situation. At 11:30 am someone could have been out on lunch searching for the cache. I would hate to be the cause of their DNF.

But, I once carried a frozen coord painted rock 10 minutes to a creek to wash away the frost so I could read it. It was one stage of a 4 hour multi cache. It had been around a long time and got very few visits. But you never know. I weighed the odds and moved as quick as I could.

Thanks ! I will stay away from caches I don't feel good about.,

Why stay away, with a little practice any cache can be gotten even under the nose of a non cacher.

Besides when you are drinving by the cache you cannot tell if non cachers are to close, just park and take a look. You could always lite up a big smelly cigar, that might chase the non cachers away :rolleyes:

Also a good chance to build up your stealth skills

We personally do not go after caches in people's yards... feels a bit weird. As for the urban caches in plain sight, we determine whether to try finding them depending on the current muggle factor when we do the drive-by. Sometimes we go for it, other times we keep on driving to next one. Everyone has their own preference. We'd much rather enjoy ourselves, than to be in an uncomfortable situation.

Oh, good golly! I do most of my caching in north Jersey, and New York City. I figure 627 people saw me feeling the bottom of the fence to retrieve stage 6 of the 11 part multi in Central Park. Then there was the one with the girl sleeping under the cache, with her parents sitting nearby. Two other cachers happened by. I got them to point into the middle of the lake, and scream "Look at that!!!" All eyes turned, I retrieved the cache. We all signed it Talk about team work!

If'n you don't like them, don't do them. But, they can be quite challenging! Depending on the area, most of the muggles have no interest in your feeling the bottom of the fence.

I have been caching here in Utah this winter because there are less folks out in the parks when there is snow on the ground.

If you have kids take them along. No one questions goofy behavior when you have kids with you.

I also don't like to hit many of the hides that are in peoples yards. I have seen some that I swear they are hidden in someones window well. That being said I have one hidden on my property. You can almost stand on the sidewalk and still reach it. It is a ammo can hidden on the property line. It actually gets lots of first time cachers from the area, and there are not many ammo cans in town.

Me and my kids were once searching on a well used trail. The cache was under a bridge and someone walking over the bridge told us "not sure what you are looking for but I think its over there" as they pointed to the other side of the bridge. So not all people you see are muggles. They may just get a kick out of watching you hunt.

Me and my kids were once searching on a well used trail. The cache was under a bridge and someone walking over the bridge told us "not sure what you are looking for but I think its over there" as they pointed to the other side of the bridge. So not all people you see are muggles. They may just get a kick out of watching you hunt.

That happened to me a few weeks ago. Totally ruined the cache for me. They pointed straight at the cache location and said "they were hiding it in there a couple years ago."

I don't mind if I'm out caching with a few other people and I'm not the first one to make the find. I do mind if someone who's out walking their dog just comes over to me and says "hey, it's right there."

I have the same hesitation. Yesterday we looked for a cache that was posted on the fence of someones yard. I felt too awkward approaching their property and start snooping around. The residents and neighbors looked at me while I was looking and the whole time I was waiting for the cops to show up. Is it safe to assume that if a cache is posted that close to someone's property, everyone there knows what I'm up to?

I have the same hesitation. Yesterday we looked for a cache that was posted on the fence of someones yard. I felt too awkward approaching their property and start snooping around. The residents and neighbors looked at me while I was looking and the whole time I was waiting for the cops to show up. Is it safe to assume that if a cache is posted that close to someone's property, everyone there knows what I'm up to?

Yeah for the most part. I don't have many neighbors and they all know I have a screw loose. Some of the caches are in subdivisions that have houses very close to one another. If people are going to place caches like that then they need to make the hide somewhat obvious. There is a TB hotel in Blackfoot, Idaho that you have to go behind a fence to get to. Its actually not that bad. The hide is pretty obvious and there is a combination lock on it that helps to keep any muggles out. Those aren't too bad. I hate it when the cache page starts out "no need to search the flower beds". It almost should say when you get near the window well don't watch my sister in her bedroom. In a way it is disrespectful to the finder.

A couple of other suggestions...

Get a dog, A BIG dog (little dogs often attract muggles), Many muggles will stay away if they see a BIG dog. The dog is great camoflage!!! you can stand still for a long time while walking the dog and this gives you plenty of time to search the area... if the cache appears to be in somebodies yard, the dog can "get away" and be chased into the yard... just use your imagination :ninja:

The other suggestion is to recruit kids around 10-13 years old (your own or relatives work fine, especially if you bribe them with candy)... You can then go just about anywhere and sit quietly while you "mind the kids" and kids that age can climb/crawl/poke/pull/dig etc just about anywhere/anything without looking strang (er than normal) :grin:

I hava a small GPS that can be easily mistaken for a blackberry. especially when I'm holding it to my ear and talking to it. I have a fairly long one sided conversation that i use while absently wandering around kicking things and leaning against things. In the end, so long as it looks natural at a glance you probably won't get a second look. Having my children with me also helps, although I need to remind them not to say " hey day, I found it over here!!!

Also, calling " here kitty Kitty" usually works in bushes and up trees.

Oh...

Was it the type of cache you might expect to search 15 minutes for, or 1 minute.

But, I once carried a frozen coord painted rock 10 minutes to a creek to wash away the frost so I could read it. It was one stage of a 4 hour multi cache. It had been around a long time and got very few visits. But you never know. I weighed the odds and moved as quick as I could.

Search time is just one part of it. Consider how long it might take to search and locate the cache, then how long it take to retrieve, how you can sign the log, and then replace the cache with raising the suspicions of muggles. I've had cases where I was able to locate the cache fairly easily, but it was hidden that retrieving it without compromising it's location was a different story.

Sometimes locating and grabbing the cache can be done quickly but then walking away from the area to sign it makes more sense.

Yeah for the most part. I don't have many neighbors and they all know I have a screw loose. Some of the caches are in subdivisions that have houses very close to one another.

I disagree with the assumption that if a cache is posted near someones property that everyone knows about it. I have read plenty of stories about neighbors that take their "neighborhood watch" signs too seriously (I actually found a nano cache once that was on a neighborhood watch sign). These people likely have "real" jobs like mall security jobs or TSA agents and after an unsatisfying week at the office busting some perps in the hood would just make their weekend.

I also know of instances of caches placed on the property with permission of the owner, but not all of the employees are informed about the activity.

Regarding the use of a a GPS as a mock cell phone to deceive the muggles. Mine could hardly be used that way. I have the behemoth of GPS receivers, a Garmin 76Cx. I have used it as a mock data collection device on occasion. I'll search around and area, "punch a few numbers" in, then search some more. It doesn't look like a cell phone but it looks like I'm "busy" doing something.

I have been caching here in Utah this winter because there are less folks out in the parks when there is snow on the ground.

If you have kids take them along. No one questions goofy behavior when you have kids with you.

I also don't like to hit many of the hides that are in peoples yards. I have seen some that I swear they are hidden in someones window well. That being said I have one hidden on my property. You can almost stand on the sidewalk and still reach it. It is a ammo can hidden on the property line. It actually gets lots of first time cachers from the area, and there are not many ammo cans in town.

I have been to your property line cache! And this is the only type of "yard" cache I am comfortable doing, one that can be retrieved from the sidewalk, that does not require me to cross someone's lawn or garden, or even walk up to the porch. No way am I going to do that. I've been asked enough times in public places, "what are you doing here?", without asking for trouble by going into people's yards. That said, I liked the placement of your cache. It was easy to get to and near enough the sidewalk you could do the "shoelace tying" ploy and get away with it. And, the fact it was an ammo can, and not a micro, was reason enough for me to attempt it, given there are so few large caches any more.

Your post about winter caching makes a good point... sometimes the weather makes a normally high-muggle spot into a deserted private place. I've been cleaning up all my city park caches the past month for that reason. Not to mention that dense trees give an easier gps lock when all the leaves have fallen off them.