marking a waypoint as a geocache... how?

picknells

Hi, like many, a new user! I'm starting with a local cache and entered the waypoint manually into my Garmin Etrex Legend HCx. I'm trying to find out how to mark this specifically as a Geocache. I can go into the waypoint and click on symbol, but it doesn't let me select anything other than the blue flag.

Any suggestions? Must I download the geocache info from the website/pc link, for it to appear on my GPS as an official cache?

Many thanks for any offers of help!

S

What StarBrand said! Another trick, which is useful for multicaches, mark a new waypoint or select and edit an existing one, scroll to the icon type field, and select the closed treasure chest icon, or icon of your choice. I think your GPS will remember the last icon you've used, and will use that type for subsequent new waypoints that you manually mark.

Hope this helps, and cache on!

We have that exact same GPS.

Once you have entered the co-ordinates (or before), use the little click switch on the front to scroll about so that you highlight the flag (or what ever symbol is there currently) in the top left corner of the screen.

Click on it.

You will get a page of all the other symbols.

Scroll up or down using the click switch until you find the closed treasure chest.

Click on it.

Now you have a 'geocache' marked rather than some other random waypoint.

You can also change the name so that instead of it saying 003 (or what ever number of waypoint you are up to) you can enter the cache name, by using the click switch.

Annie