Absolute Beginner - advice please

Ducklingtonprimary

I am very new to Geocaching. I would love some simple advice on a GPS unit. I would like to go with Garmin, purely because of the relationship with Geocaching.

Can anyone advise me whether the eTrex H will be sufficient - to simply direct me to the location of the cache? I am not interested in any bells and whistles right now, just want to get started.

Also, if i go for a basic unit, do I need GSAK software to download the cache co-ordinates? Do I simply use it whilst connected via USB/Serial and download to the GPS unit form the Geocaching website?

Would appreciate any advise on any of the above points.

Cheers

Yes the basic etrex "H" will find you just about every cache out there. No you don't need any software or a computer.

However, The eTrex "H" uses a serial computer connection, is b&w and has no mapping capability and goes for around $90. For about $120 you can get a Venture HC - Color screen, USB connections, geocaching mode, some map memory and longer battery life. Much better deal.

You can use GSAK for loading Geocaching points to the unit but to take real advantage of GSAK you should be a Premium member for $30 per year. Also it has a fairly steep learning curve. EastGPS is a better choice for a beginner.

After reading several posts in the forum, we decided on the Garmin 60CSx. We know nothing about geocaching or about GPS's, but we thought it would be fun to try. Actually, we needed something to get us out of the house. We are the type that start to read directions but then try to figure it out ourselves. We spent the first week, sitting in different areas of the neighborhood trying to find satalites...living in So Cal, we couldn't get the GPS unit out of Kansas. We finally traded the unit in for another 60CSx. We were so excited to find our location within 30 seconds of turning it on. We did log our first find today (actually 4 out of 6) and had fun looking for them. The unit itself was easy to use. It was fun watching the screen that verified we were getting closer to the find. We searched the computer first and wrote down the clues in our new log book. The 60CSx came with a USB cable and we were able to download the coordinates quickly. Then we set off for out first adventure. The screen was larger than some of the other units and easy to read. We set off tomorrow for our second adventure.

Hi Ducklingtonprimary and welcome!

You'll find as many opinions as there are models of GPS units.

You don't need to spend a lot to have fun, watch for used items as people upgrade.

I'll second the vote for the Delorme PN-20 since that is what we use and have been satisfied.

Good price (150ish) if you watch online discounters (Amazon, Buy.com, etc.) for sales.

Has some advantages as far as mapping over similar priced Garmin's but there is a learning curve for the software.

Good luck and have fun.

Yes to all the below...........garmin Map 60CSx will give you all that you need, except cache information on a PDA, however, check my profile page and you can use your 60csx as a "modified" PDA with just the info you need to find a cache.... When buying "anything" don't think "cheap".....It is not what you need, it is what you want....don't know what you mean by "don't want "bells & whistles"? A GPS unit is just that...no bells and no whistles.

GSAK for the PC...Cachemate for the PDA....good Luck

I am very new to Geocaching. I would love some simple advice on a GPS unit. I would like to go with Garmin, purely because of the relationship with Geocaching.

Can anyone advise me whether the eTrex H will be sufficient - to simply direct me to the location of the cache? I am not interested in any bells and whistles right now, just want to get started.

Also, if i go for a basic unit, do I need GSAK software to download the cache co-ordinates? Do I simply use it whilst connected via USB/Serial and download to the GPS unit form the Geocaching website?

Would appreciate any advise on any of the above points.

Cheers

After reading several posts in the forum, we decided on the Garmin 60CSx. We know nothing about geocaching or about GPS's, but we thought it would be fun to try. Actually, we needed something to get us out of the house. We are the type that start to read directions but then try to figure it out ourselves. We spent the first week, sitting in different areas of the neighborhood trying to find satalites...living in So Cal, we couldn't get the GPS unit out of Kansas. We finally traded the unit in for another 60CSx. We were so excited to find our location within 30 seconds of turning it on. We did log our first find today (actually 4 out of 6) and had fun looking for them. The unit itself was easy to use. It was fun watching the screen that verified we were getting closer to the find. We searched the computer first and wrote down the clues in our new log book. The 60CSx came with a USB cable and we were able to download the coordinates quickly. Then we set off for out first adventure. The screen was larger than some of the other units and easy to read. We set off tomorrow for our second adventure.

I love my 60CSx. Read that a electronic compass, which you have on your unit, is very handy and I use mine as much as the map page.

Also one thing I didn't do and should have when I started was to go to some on-line GC shops and look at all the different type cache containers there are.

BrrrMo

I'm not even going to try saying I know enough to recommend one unit over another. I bought the unit that most people seem to swear by. Enough said! LOL :laughing:

What I did learn fast enough, is how to get more unit for the money you want to spend. I stumbled accross this site called http://www.pricespider.com

This is a great little site that sets a computer to work searching out deals for you. It works for just about anything electronic. You just do a search, select the item you want from the list of results, then tell the site what you are willing to pay, for what you are looking for. It bassically goes shopping for you 24/7 until it comes up with the deal you are looking for.

I happened to get lucky when I ran mine, as one of the BIG retailers bought too many Garmin 60Csx units. They were afraid of getting stuck with them, and sold about 30 or 40 of them for $159.00 each. Not bad for a unit that retails for almost $500.00. Needless to say, I jumped right on that deal. I wish now that I had ordered two at that price. They all sold out in about twenty minutes. Oh well, I did get one!

If you really want an edge for getting the deal on one of the better units, give this website a try. You may find you can afford a much nicer unit than you think! The money saved can always go for gas and swag :laughing:

Edited by Seeker_Knight

One of my basic premises on buying a GPS is to buy the best you can afford. Here's why.

1. If you like geocaching it won't be long before you wish you had the updated gps with maps and a better receiver. Then you will be spending the money on the GPS I thought you should have bought in the first place.

2. If you don't like geocaching the better unit will be useful for navigation around town and to unknown cities. For this you need at least a mapping unit.

3. If you just never use it at all the better GPS will have a higher resell value and will move quickly to geocachers that bought the "cheap" unit and are now in situation #1 above.

At the very least a unit that has the ability to load route able maps on it would be your best bet. IMHO

One of my basic premises on buying a GPS is to buy the best you can afford. Here's why.

I generalize this to any hobby/sport/activity even work, I say...

Buy the best equipment you can afford. Here's why...

You have more fun and enjoy whatever you are doing more. Example...

I love to cook now, I didn't like it before; I used to have dull knives and every rime I had to slice something I had to fight my dull knives. Now I have very good and sharp knives and slicing is a breeze, so now I get much more enjoyment out of cooking!

Best advice? Escape whilst you're still sane!

Used the Garmin eTrex for a couple of years. Manually put the coords of each cache or benchmark by hand. That works.

Upgraded to Garmin Vista HCx, and premium membership. Now, Gupy knows how to find the nearest 1000 caches, and direct me to the nearest roadway (which is not always the best approach).

:angry: That is the one I use! I love its colored screen and it has held up nicely in times of water-drenching rainstorms and me using it while rock climbing! While caching with friends, I notice their eTrex tends to be more spot-on when it comes to signal accuracy, but so far I've been unable to figure out why that could be. Mine serves me well enough. Happy caching!

Agree with other posters on this point:

Geocaching is very addicting. You will soon find that you use all those bells and whistles because they make your caching experience so much ... easier... nicer... more fun... efficient... enjoyable.

You don't HAVE to have the bells and whistles, but, having been there, and having bought a base-model Etrex when I started, I can tell you that it only took me about two months of geocaching to find out I wanted a lot more functionality in my device. I then bought what was, at the time, the best one available, and it served me well for 8 years. I'd still be using it if I hadn't just plain worn it out!

Therefore, take everyone's advice and buy the best one you can afford. Review a few models you're interested in, narrow it down to a choice then do some price shopping to try to grab one at a bargain. Generally, I'd recommend you don't go to your local sporting goods retailer to purchase as they seem to sell at higher prices than you can get online. I got my Oregon 300 (love it!) for about $350 by shopping around online, which is $150 less than my local retailer sells it for. You can also check the for sale board here on the forum, or look into a refurbished unit if price is a big factor.