event Question

tsnyder88

i am wanting to put together a event and i was wandering if i could get some tip from people who have put together evnts

Ok, will need some info first...what kind of event are you wondering about? A meet & greet? A weekend camp/cache event? Something in between??

Meet & greets are the simplest to set up, you pick a location and invite the people. Usually, it's a restaurant or such where people can get something to eat if they'd like! Nothing to do with these really, just set it up and leave everyone to mingle and chat!

A little more structured event, you could set it up in a park and hide caches (either temp or perm...I like the perm type), plan games and activities and maybe either cook something or ask everyone to bring a pot-luck!

And then there's the weekend camp/cache event...these are great fun to host, but are also quite costly!

What is on your mind?

i want to do something structured for part of it then a meet & greet for the other part of it and a big thing i would like to get info on is what to do for the structured part.

Be careful about associating it with anything to do with geocaching. The reviewers, at least in my area, are being much more picky and if more than a few percent of the event page involves anything to do with caching, it won't get published.

i want to do something structured for part of it then a meet & greet for the other part of it and a big thing i would like to get info on is what to do for the structured part.

Be careful about associating it with anything to do with geocaching. The reviewers, at least in my area, are being much more picky and if more than a few percent of the event page involves anything to do with caching, it won't get published.

Huh? I thought events were supposed to be about caching? :laughing:

It can't be the sole purpose of the event. If you look at a vast majority of the "picnics" you will see that there is caching but the main thing is the socialization involved during it. People can cache during the event if they like to but its not set up for that.

It can't be the sole purpose of the event. If you look at a vast majority of the "picnics" you will see that there is caching but the main thing is the socialization involved during it. People can cache during the event if they like to but its not set up for that.

Yes, I know that. You misunderstood my post. Or maybe I didn't make it clear. I was commenting on what Allanon said about Be careful about associating it with anything to do with geocaching. Isn't that the purpose of a geocaching event? I know what he meant but his post just didn't come across that way and sounded kinda funny, kwim? :laughing:

I think I might understand what you're shooting for here. You want a normal BBQ/picnic or restaurant event, and you want people to have something to do other than sit around and eat, yes? So you may be looking for something like a caching-themed party game or icebreaker. (They should pin a thread with those; a lot of people ask for them when hosting their first event.) A few good ones I've seen:

-Geo-Bingo: Mark out a 5x5 grid on paper, and in each box put a quirky category like "Has done a 5/5 cache", "Drove more than 50 miles to this event", or "Has cached from a boat". Make a game sheet like that for each attendee, plus a few extra just in case. Players must get a signature in each box from another player who fits that box's statement, and signatures can only appear once on a player's game sheet. Anyone who completely fills a sheet is entered into a drawing for an ammo can or other small prize.

-Name-The-CO: A day or two before your event, look down the list of RSVPs, and for each one, pick a cache of theirs. List the caches on a sheet of paper, but put a blank space beside each instead of the owner's name. Players must find the owner of each cache on the list and get their signature. Completed game sheets are entered into a small prize drawing like above.

You get the idea. All it takes is a little creativity.