Buying maps

Waroku

I'm still a noob when it comes to GPS tech and was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to walk me through the map buying process.

I'll give some back story here I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx recently. I was waiting to buy maps until I could sell some old junk on eBay and beef up my paypal account. Now I have around $100 that I can spend and I would like to get the city navigator maps from garmim. The problem is that I'm not sure what to buy I would like to save as much money as I can by buying maps off of eBay if possible but I don't know if I would be buying outdated maps or what. I have seen 2009 updates and maps with no dates and I'm just not sure what I'm looking at half the time. I know the garmin site has updates for maps on it but I don't know how all that works or if they charge you for updates. So basically I'm very confused and I'm probably making this much harder than it needs to be.

Also are there any other programs that I should have for my GPS?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx

Waroku

You will need to purchase the FULL version not the update version for that unit.

Be careful with purchasing them on eBay. You will need to be sure that they are selling a valid copy with a valid unlock code.

Version 2009 is the latest version.

If you don't need to maps for turn by turn directions, you might try out the free maps available.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/19/