Folger's & Lock & Lock Container

mazzmn

After all that "Stink" about coffee smell, it appears the coffee inside that L & L container is in side a foil pack, which probably limits the coffee smell inside the plastic container to a minimum.....

Can't you simply buy L & L containers at your local Dollar Store ?

... Less sarcastically, I mean the chances of an odd odor adding to the freak-out factor if found by a muggle.
What's the worse that could happen? People might get a whiff of the mothballs and thing that you've somehow trapped granny in the box?

From http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/naphthal.html:

Naphthalene is used in the production of phthalic anhydride; it is also used in mothballs. Acute (short-term) exposure of humans to naphthalene by inhalation, ingestion, and dermal contact is associated with hemolytic anemia, damage to the liver, and neurological damage.

From http://www.purdue.edu/dp/envirosoft/housew...se/mothball.htm

The warning label on mothball products reads "avoid prolonged breathing of vapors." This label is at odds with the normal use of mothballs. By the very nature of their ingredients, mothballs give off strong odors (vapors which you can smell). These vapors tend to fill the entire home, making it nearly impossible to avoid prolonged breathing of vapors unless you live outdoors. The situation is complicated further when mothballs are placed in closets or rooms with poor ventilation, where the vapors build to high concentrations. Vapors are absorbed by clothes, blankets, and sheets resulting in direct exposure when you are around these items.

Whether or not vapors would build up to a harmful level inside a cache container and ignoring the impact on wildlife should it spill outside of said cache container, why would it ever be a good idea to put a poisonous substance inside a cache?

After all that "Stink" about coffee smell, it appears the coffee inside that L & L container is in side a foil pack, which probably limits the coffee smell inside the plastic container to a minimum.....

The plastic storage boxes at the Dollar Store and Dollar General are usually Farberware brand and shouldn't be confused with Lock-N-Lock brand storage solutions. They are similar- but the most noticeable difference is the "ratcheted" clasp system that really holds the tabs down once the box is closed. That and the tabs tend to break off Farberware at a higher rate that true Lock-N-Lock containers.

In my experience.

EDIT: The correct name is Lock & Lock. My mistake.

Edited by Castle Mischief

The plastic storage boxes at the Dollar Store and Dollar General are usually Farberware brand and shouldn't be confused with Lock-N-Lock brand storage solutions. They are similar- but the most noticeable difference is the "ratcheted" clasp system that really holds the tabs down once the box is closed. That and the tabs tend to break off Farberware at a higher rate that true Lock-N-Lock containers.

In my experience.

EDIT: The correct name is Lock & Lock. My mistake.

Ah, thanks for the info. I bought a couple Dollar store ones to set up, but as of yet have not placed them.

One of the kids was quite keen on covering it with camo duct tape. Will have to watch for maintenance on them to see how well they last (or don't) :o I think I got them at Dollar-rama (Canadian?) or maybe Dollar Giant. Not sure if these chains are in the US. (Always preferred hitting Dollar Tree when we are south of the border!)

Cheers,

... Less sarcastically, I mean the chances of an odd odor adding to the freak-out factor if found by a muggle.
What's the worse that could happen? People might get a whiff of the mothballs and thing that you've somehow trapped granny in the box?
From http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/naphthal.html:...

Whether or not vapors would build up to a harmful level inside a cache container and ignoring the impact on wildlife should it spill outside of said cache container, why would it ever be a good idea to put a poisonous substance inside a cache?

Wow. You waited so long to reply to my tongue-in-cheek comment that I didn't recognize it as my own post.

Anyway, in response to your question, have you ever put a pen in a cache?

BTW, take another read of my post. I was clearly replying to CM's post regarding the freaking of muggles who may stumble upon the mothballed cache.

Edited by sbell111

I hit the local Publix on the way home last night and spotted Millstone coffee being sold in these L&Ls. Sorry for the horrible celphone pic.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/758122...773cc93cca7.jpg

That's one horrible cell phone pic.

Thanks for the update. I'll scope out the Target and Wal-Mart in the Huntsville area and see if they have made across the Alabama border.

what about the rule of no food containers? coffee would qualify for this since coffee does stink and stays in the containers even though you wash it out.

Please post a link to this 'rule'.

Also, a soak in bleach and a run through the old dishwasher will take care of any coffee smell.

I think they are referring to the guideline that I'm sure you're well aware of in regards to food and food-scented items in containers. Surely you don't need a link to that?

EDIT: Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean that an animal can't. I wouldn't risk it.

That guideline does not cover containers, just swag.

If you want to split hairs, it refers to "Cache Contents". Call it "Sally" if you want, but the concept of food-smelling items in the cache still holds true regardless of any pedantic issues of nomenclature.

EDIT: LINK

That guideline does not cover Sally, just swag.

All manner of food containers are allowable for cache containers, once they have been properly cleaned.

Lock-n-lock

tupperware

M&Ms

PB jars

etc

Never had a critter chew a coffee can, garlic container, peanutbutter jar or neutella (mmmm...) but oddly - and I think the micro haters dislikers will find it funny that my 35mm film containers get chewed on regularly.

I think the micro haters dislikers will find it funny that my 35mm film containers get chewed on regularly.

I'm guessing that's 'cuz God hates film canisters? :D:)

I thought it was because God and all his wonderous creatures love film canisters.

Either way it would appear that the film canisters are doomed. :rolleyes:

I know where we can get more. :mad:

I think the micro haters dislikers will find it funny that my 35mm film containers get chewed on regularly.

I thought it was because God and all his wonderous creatures love film canisters.

Which brings up a whole other question. With all the digital cameras out there replacing film cameras where are all the film cans coming from?

Which brings up a whole other question. With all the digital cameras out there replacing film cameras where are all the film cans coming from?

Lot's of people will never give up 35mm.

Us forum regulars, (AKA: folks who have no life :mad: ), learned long ago that Snoogans is going to be directly responsible for the death of geocaching.

I believe, as part of his nefarious plot, he has worked some sort of scheme with Kodak to keep those lil' buggers from ever going extinct. :rolleyes: