Folger's & Lock & Lock Container

mazzmn

While I'm not convinced the standard Folgers canisters make good cache containers in all situations, I thought I'd mention that you can now buy Folgers Gourmet ground coffee (11 oz) in a Lock n Lock container...should be handy for small size cache containers. Noticed this while shopping at Shopko in Minnesota. Likely a short term promotion.

Maybe someone who works for Folgers is a big Geocaching fan :-)

I've never found an environment, (other than a pantry or cupboard), that is suitable for Folgers coffee containers. :ph34r:

Since I don't drink coffee of any variety, I buy my Lock & Locks from K-Mart or Wally World.

They don't work well in the pantry either. I miss the old steel cans. They would keep the coffee fresher for ages. Now you can't buy coffee until you are just about out. They just aren't airtight even with the original seal in tact.

what about the rule of no food containers? coffee would qualify for this since coffee does stink and stays in the containers even though you wash it out.

Please post a link to this 'rule'.

Also, a soak in bleach and a run through the old dishwasher will take care of any coffee smell.

I think they are referring to the guideline that I'm sure you're well aware of in regards to food and food-scented items in containers. Surely you don't need a link to that?

EDIT: Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean that an animal can't. I wouldn't risk it.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Food items are always a bad idea.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I've probably found as many peanut butter jar caches as ammobox caches. Sure, they have to be well washed, but even up here in the Great White North they hold up well, and I've seen VERY few (if any) that have been chewed on.

I've also found a fair number of those plastic coffee containers, and while they are far from watertight, I've yet to see one that has been chewed on. If they are hidden somewhere out of the weather, they're not too bad.

what about the rule of no food containers? coffee would qualify for this since coffee does stink and stays in the containers even though you wash it out.

Also, a soak in bleach and a run through the old dishwasher will take care of any coffee smell.

I think they are referring to the guideline that I'm sure you're well aware of in regards to food and food-scented items in containers. Surely you don't need a link to that?

EDIT: Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean that an animal can't. I wouldn't risk it.

That guideline does not cover containers, just swag.

well, i dont like to drink coffee....had it a few times.....

Your "coffee does stink" statement clued me in.

but i do like to have coffee ice cream. Yes it may sound wierd but it is different.

I know it's different. I tell people (including my wife) to stop wasting my coffee by putting sugar and cream in it, if they want caffeine that bad I'll make them some tea.

I'm a coffee drinker, my wife is a caffeine drinker.

Food items are always a bad idea.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I've probably found as many peanut butter jar caches as ammobox caches. Sure, they have to be well washed, but even up here in the Great White North they hold up well, and I've seen VERY few (if any) that have been chewed on.

I've also found a fair number of those plastic coffee containers, and while they are far from watertight, I've yet to see one that has been chewed on. If they are hidden somewhere out of the weather, they're not too bad.

True over here too. It depends on the food item in question. Rule of thumb "If it is wet and acidic then don't use it's container."

If you want to split hairs, it refers to "Cache Contents". Call it "Sally" if you want, but the concept of food-smelling items in the cache still holds true regardless of any pedantic issues of nomenclature.

EDIT: LINK

If you want to split hairs, it refers to "Cache Contents". Call it "Sally" if you want, but the concept of food-smelling items in the cache still holds true regardless of any pedantic issues of nomenclature.

EDIT: LINK

That guideline does not cover Sally, just swag.

All manner of food containers are allowable for cache containers, once they have been properly cleaned.

Lock-n-lock

tupperware

M&Ms

PB jars

etc

Edited by sbell111

While I'm not convinced the standard Folgers canisters make good cache containers in all situations, I thought I'd mention that you can now buy Folgers Gourmet ground coffee (11 oz) in a Lock n Lock container...should be handy for small size cache containers.

Dragging us back to the original topic...............

It would have to be an improvement over those round, plastic, red Folgers containers that so many people think are using now for cache containers. The leak like sieves.

Is the new Folger's container a real Lock and Lock, or just a look-a-like? Our Scout troop has used these for carrying flour, sugar, and meal for a long time. They are great for protection against the elements. I placed three new caches yesterday, and two of them were in Lock and Locks.

So how large is the lock n lock container for the folgers coffee?

And how well do the lock n lock containers hold up to the elements? I know they are pretty water tight. And should be fine for my California wet weather. I just I wonder how UV resistent they are? Any one know if I just cover the thing in duct tape or paint it, will that protect the containers more?

Anyone have a pic of this Folger's container?

I'm not getting any love from the Google today, but I'll scope out Wal-Mart at lunch. Assuming they have said coffee in said container and that said coffee costs less than a similar container over in housewares, I'll at least snap a pic with my phone, if not pick one up for an experiment in the half-life of coffee scent in a bleach-washed former container of said coffee and the ability of the average domestic mutt to detect said aroma.

Did I mention the "said"?

Anyone have a pic of this Folger's container?

I'm not getting any love from the Google today, but I'll scope out Wal-Mart at lunch. Assuming they have said coffee in said container and that said coffee costs less than a similar container over in housewares, I'll at least snap a pic with my phone, if not pick one up for an experiment in the half-life of coffee scent in a bleach-washed former container of said coffee and the ability of the average domestic mutt to detect said aroma.

Did I mention the "said"?

I'd say you said said in said post.

I'd say you said said in said post.

Well said.

Folks have only been using L&Ls around here for a few years now. Not sure how long they've been in production. I haven't found any L&Ls that have suffered from UV damage, however I have found a few with broken tabs. Maybe from plastic fatigue as they get bent repeatedly upon opening?

One of my L&Ls had thee of the four tabs broke before someone mentioned it. They seem to seal pretty well with even half the tabs gone. I think it may be the extreme cold that does them in.

And how well do the lock n lock containers hold up to the elements? I know they are pretty water tight. And should be fine for my California wet weather. I just I wonder how UV resistent they are? Any one know if I just cover the thing in duct tape or paint it, will that protect the containers more?

Most would be covered by sticks, or in some other shaded spot, so UV shouldn't be too much trouble. The one mentioned above is out in plain sight, but painted. If you want the camo paint to stick well, put a coat of Fusion or other plastic paint on first.

Interested to see what Castle Mischief digs up.

Interested to see what Castle Mischief digs up.

I got nothing. All the plastic coffee containers that I can find at the Wal-Mart down the road are round plastic containers that seal around the top but do not have the signature lock-n-lock four-point snap downs.

But this is North Alabama and we get all the cool stuff months after the civilized world.

Bleach will get the smell out but every plastic container I have used got chewed by some animal with really sharp teeth. A bear can chew a dry wall bucket. Finish up with Moth flakes and watch all the animals run. Cachers too! I have a hundred percent bad luck with plastic containers.

What are moth flakes? Do they come in "frosted"?

EDIT: Where 100% of the plastic containers that you used also previous food containers?

Bleach will get the smell out but every plastic container I have used got chewed by some animal with really sharp teeth. A bear can chew a dry wall bucket. Finish up with Moth flakes and watch all the animals run. Cachers too! I have a hundred percent bad luck with plastic containers.

EDIT: Where 100% of the plastic containers that you used also previous food containers?

They're like moth balls, except flakier.

They're like moth balls, except flakier.

Ah, I see.

Now we've crossed over into the "should I put substances that repel animals in the natural habitat of animals?" realm.

I'm holding onto my theory that all the bleach in the world would never completely remove the scent of food from a plastic container. But I could be wrong.

You may want to view this as "should I put substances that repel animals from an item that I place in the natural habitat of animals?"

I would have to mull that idea around a bit before I decided if I would want to add these flakes or not.

I see your point. I guess, for me, it would be a matter of a)what is the "area of effect" and b)what are the chances that the flakes are going to get distributed outside of the container and increase said AOE.

I guess I would also mull over the chances of seeing the headline "Strange Smelling Container Found in Woods - Bomb Squad to Teleport Object Into Orbit". Or even "Suspected Meth Lab Actually Game on the Internets". Less sarcastically, I mean the chances of an odd odor adding to the freak-out factor if found by a muggle.

EDIT: Any confirmed sightings of these containers yet?

You may want to view this as "should I put substances that repel animals from an item that I place in the natural habitat of animals?"

I would have to mull that idea around a bit before I decided if I would want to add these flakes or not.

I see your point. I guess, for me, it would be a matter of a)what is the "area of effect" and b)what are the chances that the flakes are going to get distributed outside of the container and increase said AOE.

I guess I would also mull over the chances of seeing the headline "Strange Smelling Container Found in Woods - Bomb Squad to Teleport Object Into Orbit". Or even "Suspected Meth Lab Actually Game on the Internets". Less sarcastically, I mean the chances of an odd odor adding to the freak-out factor if found by a muggle.

EDIT: Any confirmed sightings of these containers yet?

Take one of those plastic Easter eggs the kind that separates into two halves.

Cut the end off of one half so you are left with one intact section and a ring that it attaches to.

Glue the ring into place inside the container so that the other half can connect to it.

Drill holes into the intact half.

Place mothballs into it and tape the sections together to prevent a cacher from knocking them apart.

Moth joke.

... Less sarcastically, I mean the chances of an odd odor adding to the freak-out factor if found by a muggle.
What's the worse that could happen? People might get a whiff of the mothballs and thing that you've somehow trapped granny in the box?

When I say "muggle" the first person that comes to mind is my Aunt next door. She is convinced that the coyotes in the woods behind our houses are in fact BABY EATING WOLVES. She is convinced that the strange smell of chicken poo on the field across the road is METH LAB FUMES. The stray dog from down the road is ACTING STRANGE AND HAS RABIES. There are a lot of cars at that house down the road so she's sure they are DRUG DEALERS. The mail lady weaves on the road BECAUSE SHE DRINKS.

I imagine her in the woods finding a strange container and thinking "this smells like a CHEMICAL BOMB."

She is my living "worst case scenerio generator".

I looked on Folger's website and couldn't find them listed.
I looked in my local grocery store and they didn't offer them.

They are not In Wallyworld, Meijers or Krogers here.

Heck they are not in Torrelo's an Italian /gourmet store and the only place I can find espresso chocolate at 85% coco. My wife calles it her ultimate geocache 'cause I'll follow follow follow.

no pics yet?

Sorry, lost track of this thread.

This must have been a temporary special. I haven't seen these in any other store than Shopko

(Have checked Target, Wallyworld and Cub) and I have not seen them back in Shopko since the OP

But here is a pic

3406253234_e9ecfcbda3.jpg

Edited by mazzmn

Sorry, lost track of this thread.

This must have been a temporary special. I haven't seen these in any other store than Shopko

(Have checked Target, Wallyworld and Cub) and I have not seen them back in Shopko since the OP

But here is a pic

3406253234_e9ecfcbda3.jpg

A red silicone seal? What is the world coming to? Originals were blue, the knock-off (And Official Geocache Containers ) use either a light-blue or green seal, Now Red? ;) )