how do I report a cache that is in violation of being to close to an active rail road track?

cb12374

how do I report a cache that is in violation of being to close to an active rail road track? (GC1KH3D) this is the gc code for the cache. I was told by the reviewer of my cache that I tried to place about 50 feet away from a rail road track that under no circumstance can you place a cache within 150 feet of an active rail road track do to federal law. but yet I have found several that violate that so is the reviewer of mine full of crap or are there hundreds or thousands of caches in violation of federal law?

I didn't look for problem caches. I noticed this one wile updating the caches to my gps. it is placed in the same way as the I tried to place was. but mine was refused and this one was placed. and there are several others just like it. I'm not trying to start problems I'm just wondering why a cache that I placed on privet property (in the parking lot of my mothers dinner) got denied for being to close to a rail line but others like it get placed. if they got placed they must have followed the guidelines. and if mine was placed in the same way I must not have misread the guidelines. so again should my cache have been placed or are there caches in violation of the law?

N 42° 01.588 W 085° 48.761 the cords to the cache that I tried to place.

I let the reviewer know that it was in the parking lot of my mother dinner and that she gave me permission to place it. that you didn't have to cross the tracks and the the property line was well defined. but the reviewer denied it do to being within 150 feet of a rail line. so should the reviewer have allowed mine or not? if not than there are several caches out there that violate that law.

Edited by cb12374

Reading the cache page, it sounds like the coordinates were off. The CO has posted updated coordinates, and does indicate it is behind a fence.

If you are still concerned, drop a note to the reviewer. Or you could ask the CO.

The updated coordinates place that cache only 493 feet from GC1JEKZ, owned by the same cacher.

Reading the cache page, it sounds like the coordinates were off. The CO has posted updated coordinates, and does indicate it is behind a fence.

If you are still concerned, drop a note to the reviewer. Or you could ask the CO.

The updated coordinates place that cache only 493 feet from GC1JEKZ, owned by the same cacher.

Where's my post about what to do with non-compliant caches? :ph34r:

If you don't feel that you can have an adult conversation with the cache owner (although you probably could unless this is grudgey-based) and have no confidence in contact@geocaching.com (which is ridiculous since they're awesome in my experience), contact the reviewer. You can find who that is by the very first log entered on the cache. While I think the 493ft saturation is eye-roll worthy, the question of whether it's compliant with the RR is a good concern because we don't want anything bad happening or bad press about geocaching.

Check out this cache. It's somewhere in the center of the pic. That's a fairly active highway and rail line. No barriers of any kind, the trains are traveling about 50-55 mph, and vehicles are moving well over 60 mph (legal limit is 55).

4d3719a7-f601-4ced-b97e-82452de5e0f5.jpg

But as stated earlier, all you should do if you're bothered by the cache you saw is send an advisory email to the local reviewer. Send a picture if it helps. If the reviewer is aware of the problem, and the cache remains, then just drop it. If you mount an aggressive campaign to get the cache archived then all you'll do is make a lot of enemies, and you don't want enemies around who know where YOUR caches are.

Edited by J-Way

First ask the cache owner - they might have explict permission or another very reasonable explanation.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer after a a reasonable amount of time - either contact the local reviewer with photos of the spot or write to the contact address mentioned above.

You could also post a Needs Archived log if you feel strongly about it.

Check out this cache.

Yes.

If it's obvious that one need not to have to cross a set of tracks then it's OK.

If there are parking coordinates that are on the same side of the tracks as the cache, and the cache 'might' appear to be 'too' close to the tracks it might be Ok.

The reviewers have some disgression.

They also have some disgression in the 528 foot 'guidelines' which are not hard and set 'rules'.

I don't understand why everyone's initial urge is to screw their neighbor when they may have no idea about the circumstances for the cache. Either find the cache or put it on the block list.

Yep...and never mind if the cache has the potential to give caching and cachers a black eye! Should we also start telling citizens to ignore those breaking laws??

Ask the reviewer to check into it. You can do this privately and the reviewer can make the decision. If the reviewer decides it's alright, drp it!

First ask the cache owner - they might have explict permission or another very reasonable explanation.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer after a a reasonable amount of time - either contact the local reviewer with photos of the spot or write to the contact address mentioned above.

You could also post a Needs Archived log if you feel strongly about it.

Too many times, the CO gets upset at the person asking about their hides. Reasoning with some of these owners isn't going to happen and you end up making enemies. Ask the reviewer, they can handle it privately!

Report it, yes. Drag it out in the forum to make an example of, no. It wasn't necessary to post the details for this question to be answered.

As for the badge? I just thought it was a bit funny. It is from a genuine sheriffs office.Cache County Sheriff's office. No offense intended.

This I do agreee with, OK to ask here, but no need giving cache info to get the answer!!

Cache County Sheriff, gotta love that!! :ph34r:

I was told by the reviewer of my cache that I tried to place about 50 feet away from a rail road track that under no circumstance can you place a cache within 150 feet of an active rail road track do to federal law. but yet I have found several that violate that so is the reviewer of mine full of crap or are there hundreds or thousands of caches in violation of federal law?

I was told by the reviewer of my cache that I tried to place about 50 feet away from a rail road track that under no circumstance can you place a cache within 150 feet of an active rail road track do to federal law. but yet I have found several that violate that so is the reviewer of mine full of crap or are there hundreds or thousands of caches in violation of federal law?

If you don't know the guidelines, how did you mark the boxes saying you read and understood them??? I'd say you could find the answers easily in the info you claimed to have already read?

Other geocachers hiding their caches in restricted areas is not your problem so don't try to take it up as yours.

You shouldn't look the other way if you think the cache could lead to problems for another cacher or for GC.com. While I wouldn't become the cache police and start searching out problem caches merely because my cache was denied, I would report any which I run across while caching.

Other geocachers hiding their caches in restricted areas is not your problem so don't try to take it up as yours.

That's actually wrong. Cachers hiding their caches in restricted ares without adequate permission is EVERYONE'S problem. It reflects very poorly on the caching community.

To the OP, I was ready to defend your initial question as you being new and not knowing who to contact regarding a cache that could POTENTIALLY be in violation of the guidelines. However, with your second post in the thread, it appears that perhaps that wasn't the case and there's some other agenda going on.

And just a note, asking in the forum if your reviewer is "full of crap" isn't probably the best tactic. I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't actually know that there are "hundreds or thousands of caches in violation of federal law". That perhaps you are just wildly speculating because you are upset that a cache placement was denied due to it not complying with the Listing Guidelines/Requirements. Just a wild guess.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Check out this cache. It's somewhere in the center of the pic. That's a fairly active highway and rail line. No barriers of any kind, the trains are traveling about 50-55 mph, and vehicles are moving well over 60 mph (legal limit is 55).

4d3719a7-f601-4ced-b97e-82452de5e0f5.jpg

But as stated earlier, all you should do if you're bothered by the cache you saw is send an advisory email to the local reviewer. Send a picture if it helps. If the reviewer is aware of the problem, and the cache remains, then just drop it. If you mount an aggressive campaign to get the cache archived then all you'll do is make a lot of enemies, and you don't want enemies around who know where YOUR caches are.

Compounding the problem is the illegally parked car that did not get safely off the road and is facing the wrong way.

You shouldn't look the other way if you think the cache could lead to problems for another cacher or for GC.com. While I wouldn't become the cache police and start searching out problem caches merely because my cache was denied, I would report any which I run across while caching.

that is what I did. I didn't look for problem caches. I noticed this one wile updating the caches to my gps. it is placed in the same way as the one I tried to place was. but mine was refused and this one was placed. and there are several others just like it. I'm not trying to start problems I'm just wondering why a cache that I placed on privet property (in the parking lot of my mothers dinner) got denied for being to close to a rail line but others like it get placed. if they got placed they must have followed the guidelines. and if mine was placed in the same way I must not have misread the guidelines. so again should my cache have been placed or are there caches in violation of the law?

Edited by cb12374

Now we get the meat of the situation. How about the coordinates for your denied cache?

I let the reviewer know that it was in the parking lot of my mother dinner and that she gave me permission to place it. that you didn't have to cross the tracks and the the property line was well defined. but the reviewer denied it do to being within 150 feet of a rail line. so should the reviewer have allowed mine or not? if not than there are several caches out there that violate that law.

That's a sure fire way to impress your reviewer!

Send an email to contact@geocaching.com.

While this is always an option, I'm amazed that Mtn-man would suggest going "nuclear" right off the bat. The reviewer usually has more personal knowledge of his/her reviewing area, the cache hider's reputation-style-problems, and usual or unusual circumstances. Plus, they usually respond faster.

In my opinion it's always best to go to the reviewer with problems like this. As evidenced in this thread, getting a reputation as a "cache-cop" isn't the most desirable thing in the world for most folks.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Now we get the meat of the situation. How about the coordinates for your denied cache?

Too bad the aerial views are so bad on the Google Earth maps for that area, but I looked at a few others maps. It seems to me (and I could be mistaken, because none of the maps were really good) that the one that was published was in a park-like setting, with a real fence and brushy barrier between the cache and the railroad tracks.

Did the spot at the diner parking lot also have a solid fence and some sort of vegetation between the cache and the tracks?

If your answer is yes, did you take photos of the area to show the reviewer? Or at least explain that? There can be exceptions made to the guideline and going those extra few steps to show the reviewer that you have thought of safety and the property isn't under the control of the RR can make all the difference in the world.

And just FYI, one cache being published doesn't automatically mean a similar cache will also be published. Reviewers interpret guidelines differently, situations always have some mitigating circumstances no matter how identical they seem, and getting permission from the proper authorities isn't always made public knowledge.

That's why I always start out asking nicely, in private, with the cache owner (who often has great advice to pass along) and then go to the reviewer if the CO hasn't helped me (but still staying "nice" and just inquiring to see if I can get some help). If that fails, I turn to trusted locals with some experience and ask them for advice. Busting someone out in the forums (local or national) when you are new is not a good way to endear yourself to the local caching community--no matter how indignant you are, how right you are, or how egregious the problem may be.

We cachers tend to like to police ourselves whenever possible, and fix problems in a private and efficient manner so no one gets a bad mark in the books. I've seen some really nice people get off to a bad start in their caching community when a quiet approach probably would have resolved the issue and gained them a few new friends in the process.

That's a sure fire way to impress your reviewer!

Send an email to contact@geocaching.com.

While this is always an option, I'm amazed that Mtn-man would suggest going "nuclear" right off the bat. The reviewer usually has more personal knowledge of his/her reviewing area, the cache hider's reputation-style-problems, and usual or unusual circumstances. Plus, they usually respond faster.

In my opinion it's always best to go to the reviewer with problems like this. As evidenced in this thread, getting a reputation as a "cache-cop" isn't the most desirable thing in the world for most folks.

Deane

I'm not trying to be a cache cop. and as far as the reviewer goes when I asked him what the difference was between my cache and the one that I used as an example was so that I could fix mine he got pissed off and refused to discuss the matter. that is why I came here. to figure out why my cache that was placed was denied for being in violation of the law but a cache placed in the same way got approved. I'm trying to find out what I did wrong or if I even did do something wrong. but everyone wants to make me out as the bad guy for trying to get some answers so that I can keep this a respectable sport. but I guess that' just to much to ask for since everyone seams to only care about the numbers and not the law or the rules. or even helping a fellow cacher.

A thing to do might have been to come into the forums and ask what things you could have done differently in order to get your cache published rather than calling out a cache that it now appears you never even physically went to. Bad start. (It's probably worth noting that it appears that the coordinates for the cache you called out were incorrect and have now been corrected. But that's a different issue.)

Since the Google Maps photos for the area where your proposed cache is located are so bad, perhaps you could have emailed pictures of the cache location to the reviewer in order to demonstrate that there was no proximity to the railroad tracks.

If you have thoroughly read and understood the Listing Guidelines/Requirements, you know that they state that first and foremost, there is NO precedent for placing a cache. Just because another one may have been published has no bearing on whether a cache will be published.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

I'm not trying to be a cache cop. and as far as the reviewer goes when I asked him what the difference was between my cache and the one that I used as an example was so that I could fix mine he got pissed off and refused to discuss the matter. that is why I came here. to figure out why my cache that was placed was denied for being in violation of the law but a cache placed in the same way got approved. I'm trying to find out what I did wrong or if I even did do something wrong. but everyone wants to make me out as the bad guy for trying to get some answers so that I can keep this a respectable sport. but I guess that' just to much to ask for since everyone seams to only care about the numbers and not the law or the rules. or even helping a fellow cacher.

But unfortunately, that's not what you did. It wasn't until halfway through the thread that that part came out.

Too bad the aerial views are so bad on the Google Earth maps for that area, but I looked at a few others maps. It seems to me (and I could be mistaken, because none of the maps were really good) that the one that was published was in a park-like setting, with a real fence and brushy barrier between the cache and the railroad tracks.

Did the spot at the diner parking lot also have a solid fence and some sort of vegetation between the cache and the tracks?

If your answer is yes, did you take photos of the area to show the reviewer? Or at least explain that? There can be exceptions made to the guideline and going those extra few steps to show the reviewer that you have thought of safety and the property isn't under the control of the RR can make all the difference in the world.

And just FYI, one cache being published doesn't automatically mean a similar cache will also be published. Reviewers interpret guidelines differently, situations always have some mitigating circumstances no matter how identical they seem, and getting permission from the proper authorities isn't always made public knowledge.

That's why I always start out asking nicely, in private, with the cache owner (who often has great advice to pass along) and then go to the reviewer if the CO hasn't helped me (but still staying "nice" and just inquiring to see if I can get some help). If that fails, I turn to trusted locals with some experience and ask them for advice. Busting someone out in the forums (local or national) when you are new is not a good way to endear yourself to the local caching community--no matter how indignant you are, how right you are, or how egregious the problem may be.

We cachers tend to like to police ourselves whenever possible, and fix problems in a private and efficient manner so no one gets a bad mark in the books. I've seen some really nice people get off to a bad start in their caching community when a quiet approach probably would have resolved the issue and gained them a few new friends in the process.

thanks for the info. no one machined the fence thing or the brush thing. that may be the difference that I was looking for. I wasn't trying to get on anyone's bad side or get caches dropped. I was just trying to figure out what the difference was that got the other caches published and not mine. and it seems that you are the only person on here that's willing to give me some good advice and help me learn instead of condemning me for it. thanks again for your advice and outlook on cache.

thanks for the info. no one machined the fence thing or the brush thing. that may be the difference that I was looking for. I wasn't trying to get on anyone's bad side or get caches dropped. I was just trying to figure out what the difference was that got the other caches published and not mine. and it seems that you are the only person on here that's willing to give me some good advice and help me learn instead of condemning me for it. thanks again for your advice and outlook on cache.

WHAO! HOLD ON THERE! This topic is straying all over the map, and it has now gotten downright ridiculous! First, the OP started a topic which was supposedly about a geocache which was located too near to RR tracks, and then, when it emerged that she/he had a bit of an undisclosed agenda regarding the whole matter, it seems that he/she -- in the post above -- has now attempted to change the focus of the thread to the topic of how best to machine fences (since he used the word "machine, I am assuming that it must be a steel, aluminum or wrought iron fence.)

Folks, this is totally insane! My advice to the OP is this: If you truly do have questions about how best to machine components for a fence, I am sure that there are numerous forums on the web which are devoted to the topic of how to best machine fence components made of steel, aluminum or wrought iron. And, if you REALLY want, for some obscure reason, to discuss that topic only on the Groundspeak forum, then I respectfully suggest that you start a thread devoted to that matter in the "Off Topics" section of the forum!

Sheesh!

You're welcome. I'm glad it helped you. We all learn how to do things better as we place our first few caches. It seems like the other caches you have put out are being enjoyed.

(PS- I think others here were trying to be helpful, too. Sometimes we take things too personally when we only read it and can't hear how something is said)

Vinny- Just as a point of information wood can also be "machined". Generally we call it milling or turning but it is still a form of machining.

Thanks for pointing this out, and I was aware of that fact when writing my post, but I also considered the fact that in real life, anyone who works with wood in a shop, or even as a casual carpenter, would never bother to call such activities by the name "machining" -- except perhaps when working with some very hard exotic hardwoods (such as ironwood, which I use here sometimes... amazing stuff...) which are as hard as steel -- and rather, anyone halfway familiar with working wood would tend to use the terms "working", milling, or "turning", as you said. So, I chose not to bother to mention that possibility!

However, I am still rather taken aback that the OP suddenly tried to shift the focus of the thread to the topic of machining metal! I guess that she/he got embarrassed at having their secret agenda discovered, and wanted to change the topic really quickly!

You may not be trying to be a cache cop but when you say things like, "so that I can keep this a respectable sport" you give the impression that you are.

I live and cache in Michigan just like you and I'm fairly familiar with our reviewer that covers your side of the state. I'm betting that his side of the story might have some signifigant differences from your version.

Where are you coming from with "everyone seams to only care about the numbers and not the law or the rules." Nobody's mentioned numbers that I can see. And I think you'll find we all care about the "guidelines". We just have different approaches than yours for dealing with our concerns.

Deane

Vinny- Just as a point of information wood can also be "machined". Generally we call it milling or turning but it is still a form of machining.

Thanks for pointing this out, and I was aware of that fact when writing my post, but I also considered the fact that in real life, anyone who works with wood in a shop, or even as a casual carpenter, would never bother to call such activities by the name "machining" -- except perhaps when working with some very hard exotic hardwoods (such as ironwood, which I use here sometimes... amazing stuff...) which are as hard as steel -- and rather, anyone halfway familiar with working wood would tend to use the terms "working", milling, or "turning", as you said. So, I chose not to bother to mention that possibility!

However, I am still rather taken aback that the OP suddenly tried to shift the focus of the thread to the topic of machining metal! I guess that she/he got embarrassed at having their secret agenda discovered, and wanted to change the topic really quickly!

I didn't change the subject. I said that I never thought that a fence may be the difference that I didn't think about as to why my cache got denied and the others approved. and there was no secret agenda. just someone trying to get answers. so excuse me for not being the most eloquent speaker on the plaint. and for wording things wrong.

I didn't change the subject. I said that I never thought that a fence may be the difference that I didn't think about as to why my cache got denied and the others approved. and there was no secret agenda. just someone trying to get answers. so excuse me for not being the most eloquent speaker on the plaint. and for wording things wrong.

Don't let it bother you, just live and learn!! If you make it down to the Jackson area or below, give me a yell and I'll join you for some caching!!! And, if you already haven't check into MiGO, we're here if you'd like to join in!

Don't let it bother you, just live and learn!! If you make it down to the Jackson area or below, give me a yell and I'll join you for some caching!!! And, if you already haven't check into MiGO, we're here if you'd like to join in!

well I'm trying not to let it get to me. but it seems like no matter how I phrase it or anything when I ask a question about a cache as to why it got approved and a similar cache of mine gets denied and I try to find out why so I can learn what I'm doing wrong I piss everyone off and get called a cache cop. when all I'm trying to do is get a better understanding of what I may have over looked. and as far as getting south of Jackson goes I live by three rivers, MI.

well I'm trying not to let it get to me. but it seems like no matter how I phrase it or anything when I ask a question about a cache as to why it got approved and a similar cache of mine gets denied and I try to find out why so I can learn what I'm doing wrong I piss everyone off and get called a cache cop. when all I'm trying to do is get a better understanding of what I may have over looked. and as far as getting south of Jackson goes I live by three rivers, MI.

Best way to find your answers would be to read the guidelines for placement and, if you have questions, ask Rusty. Rusty really is a great reviewer, he's helpful and very knowledgeable of the cache placement guidelines!!

Best way to find your answers would be to read the guidelines for placement and, if you have questions, ask Rusty. Rusty really is a great reviewer, he's helpful and very knowledgeable of the cache placement guidelines!!

I tend to avoid the reviewers do to the last time something like this happened I asked a reviewer what the difference was and he refused to discus it with me and just got all pissed off because I didn't have a perfect understand of the guidelines. and I did read them. and when I find a spot to place a cache I try to find a cache that is placed under the circumstances and conditions to review and use as a model for mine to insure that I didn't misunderstand anything. and that I'm not doing anything wrong. but when there's something as simple as a fence evolved that makes the difference and I over look that and everyone thinks that I have a secret agenda when I use a published cache as an example as to why it isn't braking the law or rules and mine was I get called a cache cop and I piss everyone off and they intern say things that piss me off like accusing me of having a secret agenda. so in other words it seems that almost everyone in this sport would rather get all pissed off it people that are trying to learn instead of helping them.

Edited by cb12374

Ok. The thing you don't want to do is to use another cache as a guideline. There are many, many things that go into the cache review. And EVERY situation is different. That's why the Listing Guidelines/Requirements prominently state that there's no precedence for cache placement.

Read the Listing Guidelines/Requirements again. And really UNDERSTAND them. Once you done that, then read them again. Then before you do anything else, read them one more time. Pretend that you are going to be taking a test about them. Really understand what they are saying. They are what governs the cache placement. Not another cache.

Don't worry about how some other cache has been placed. Figure out how to make YOURS comply with guidelines.

If your cache location is truly within 150 feet of the railroad tracks, then move on to another location. Don't be obsessed with some other cache that may have been placed. There may be circumstances with another cache of which you are not aware. Forget it even exists.

Fix your cache. Have it be in complete compliance with the guidelines that are posted. Give your reviewer ALL the information about the location. Politely answer the questions that your reviewer asks. That's the way to get your cache published. Simple as that.

I tend to avoid the reviewers do to the last time something like this happened I asked a reviewer what the difference was and he refused to discus it with me and just got all pissed off because I didn't have a perfect understand of the guidelines. and I did read them. and when I find a spot to place a cache I try to find a cache that is placed under the circumstances and conditions to review and use as a model for mine to insure that I didn't misunderstand anything. and that I'm not doing anything wrong. but when there's something as simple as a fence evolved that makes the difference and I over look that and everyone thinks that I have a secret agenda when I use a published cache as an example as to why it isn't braking the law or rules and mine was I get called a cache cop and I piss everyone off and they intern say things that piss me off like accusing me of having a secret agenda. so in other words it seems that almost everyone in this sport would rather get all pissed off it people that are trying to learn instead of helping them.

I think you just hit a nerve with some people. Just shake it off. I can see why you'd be confused after reading this thread. If a cache is really in the center of that above photo with the idiot illegally parked, then it seems clear that it would violate the guidelines. I would contact your friendly local reviewer.....and be friendly!

I think you just hit a nerve with some people. Just shake it off. I can see why you'd be confused after reading this thread. If a cache is really in the center of that above photo with the idiot illegally parked, then it seems clear that it would violate the guidelines. I would contact your friendly local reviewer.....and be friendly!

first of all the photo is not of the cache that I was referring to. but it is a fine example of how the reviewers will let one cache slide do to the loose guidelines but use them to stop another. if it applies to one it should apply to all. and if there's a special circumstance that a catcher enquires about people shouldn't get all upset and refuse to answer the question. they should help them understand what that circumstance is for future reference. but apparently that is to much to ask for from most of the people on this sport.

TG....you gotta read better, my friend!! :rolleyes: That pic didn't have anything to do with the cache in question lol!! :blink:

cb, I sent you a PM!!

you sent me a pm? is that a personle message? if so i didn't get it

Yes, a personal message. It's in the New Messages link at the top of the whole page (scroll all the way to the top and look for the small links along the top over the advertisements)! <_<