National Geographic Topo Explorer

jststmpit

I have read over all the info that I could find on this software. It is NOT very user friendly at all IMHO. If anyone has this software, could you please share how you get maps to your gps. I know that I have to connect with usb, that is not the problem. When I log in and got to the topo.com site, it just doesn't explain things very well.

TIA for any help you can provide.

Jststmpit

I have read over all the info that I could find on this software. It is NOT very user friendly at all IMHO. If anyone has this software, could you please share how you get maps to your gps. I know that I have to connect with usb, that is not the problem. When I log in and got to the topo.com site, it just doesn't explain things very well.

TIA for any help you can provide.

Jststmpit

I think only the DeLorme GPS units can utilize NG Topo maps. What type of GPS do you have?

The National Geographic can only be loaded onto Magellan Tritons. I think the GPS has to be a Triton 400, 500, 1500 and 2000. Unless NG has made some changes in the past year or so, it has to be the state sereis of their software, but I am not 100% positive on that. I have not been keeping up to date. You might try calling NG tech suport.

Magellan Triton chart

The Delorme will require Delorme Topo software

Garmins will require Garmin Topo software

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Moving to a more appropriate forum

The maps are loaded via software that you download from the National Geographic website. You register on the site and set up an account and then download the viewing-puchasing software. Once the software is loaded on your PC you will need to purchase each super quad for $1.00 a peice. A super quad will have three forms: a topo map, satelite map and hybrid map (top-satelite combination). To pay for the quads you buy credits (maybe by credit card?).

I purchased my credits when I puchased a package for $21.00 (21 credits) that came with the viewing software.

The Magellan Triton series has software called VantagePoint (available free through Magellan's site) that allows you to transfer the maps to your Triton GPS via a USB cable.