PN40

I received the PN40 for Christmas... I love it, but I can't seem to figure out how to program a simple compass course into it! I've read the manual several times and it still escapes me. One of the new caches in our area starts out as:

From the starting point (coordinates given) go

310* for 486'...

From this point go 100* for 586'...

From this point go 186* for 310'

It continues through 6 such points before reaching the cache. I can set the starting point into a route with no problem, but I can't figure out how to add the 310 degrees at 468 feet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, can anyone recommend a additional book that may cover the features of this GPS? Thanks so much!

Edited by The Graystone Gopher

There are a number of ways to do this, but a route is not really one of them, since a route is a series of waypoints, which you don't have in this case.

Here's what I would do:

You have Topo USA 7 that came with the GPS. Be sure Options \Display is set for Magnetic bearings. Enter the starting coordinates (set a waypoint for them). Zoom in nice and close. Using the measure tool, draw a line for the required direction & distance, click there, draw another bearing & distance, etc. At the end, read off the Lat & Long for the end point. Set the GPS for that, and off you go, right to the cache!

You can do the same thing in the GPS. Be sure the unit is set to show Magnetic bearings (Device Setup, scroll all the way down). On the Map page, hit Menu, use the Measure Distance item. Same procedure, draw you lines, then at the end, hit the waypoint button, save it, then go to it.

Either way should work.

{edited to add setting of Topo USA to Magnetic bearings]

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

Make sure your compass is calibrated. Using the compass, face the proper direction for the first bearing. Then on the map page, toggle with the click stick forward in the correct bearing and distance. As you move your cursor forward, the top of the screen will give you bearing and distance from your current position including the Lat and Lon.

Set the waypoint at the approximate location and go to it. Repeat for the following directions as you complete each leg.

You can also go to my site for more. As tips and tricks (such as this one) come up, I'll be posting them there with any noted bugs and or issues.

www.totemlake.org

Edited by TotemLake

What would be perfect is the Projection option on the Explorist 210 I had. I now have a PN-20 and like it a lot more than my Explorist except for this one option. The Projection you just insert the distance and bearing and it would create a waypoint. There may be some error while panning for a point on the PN-20 unless you really zoom in. Just my thoughts.

What would be perfect is the Projection option on the Explorist 210 I had. I now have a PN-20 and like it a lot more than my Explorist except for this one option. The Projection you just insert the distance and bearing and it would create a waypoint. There may be some error while panning for a point on the PN-20 unless you really zoom in. Just my thoughts.

Watch the bearing at the top of the screen as you're panning forward. You can increment your moves by clicking. Zooming will allow you to fine tune.

The error happened before you started your search because the position is merely an estimate to begin with even if the hider utilized recommended techniques for accurate coords. Add that to the fact your position is also an estimate, even if you have the best constellation available to you.

Edited by TotemLake

The projection feature would be a nice addition. Panning the cursor on the map screen is a passable workaround, but just plugging the numbers into a projected waypoint would be easier. It has been requested, and if you add your voice to the PN-40 suggestions forum it will move to the top of the list faster.

Thanks to everyone for the explaniation on following a compass course. I'm still working through the details but I'm on the right track. Topo USA is new to me too, so there is a huge learning curve there also! What I really need is a "PN40 / Topo USA Dummies" book! Thanks again, I really do appreciate the info. I have never been active in the Delorme forums and you guys as just so helpful, I wanted to check here first.

Thanks to everyone for the explaniation on following a compass course. I'm still working through the details but I'm on the right track. Topo USA is new to me too, so there is a huge learning curve there also! What I really need is a "PN40 / Topo USA Dummies" book! Thanks again, I really do appreciate the info. I have never been active in the Delorme forums and you guys as just so helpful, I wanted to check here first.

Until the Cache Register widget is released, this might help with learning the T7 regarding the handling of geocache waypoints. Then you can learn the other T7 capabilities at your own pace.

For geocache waypoints:

1. With a Premium Membership, click on the GPX button of the cache of interest and send it to your PC.

2. On your PC, open up the bundled DeLorme Topo USA 7.0 mapping application.

3. Click on the "Draw" tab, click on the "File..." button, then click on the "Import..." button on the right.

4. Navigate as usual to the folder where you saved the downloaded GPX file and Open it.

5. Click on the "Handheld Export" button.

6. Connect your PN-XX and boot it up.

7. Back in Topo 7, click on the "Exchange" window.

8. Objects stored and recognized by Topo &, including the downloaded caches as Waypoints, will be in the tree structure in the left pane while the objects contained in your PN-XX are shown in the right pane.

10. Select the subject Waypoint in the left pane tree and click the "Send" button.

It is now in your PN-20, -40.

Multiple caches may be downloaded via Pocket Query in a similar fashion.

Screenshots of the steps:

Link to Embra's graphics