North NJ: South Mountain reservation closed for deer hunt

Jam Clam

This is really strange; I see a reply to my post but not the original post. ???? Anyway, here is what I originally posted (sorry if this repeats):

The South Mountain Reservation in Essex County, NJ, home to approx. 50 geocaches, will be closed Tuesdays & Thursdays in January & February for a deer hunt.

http://www.nj.com/starledger/stories/index....xml&coll=1

Is there anyway to somehow update the pages for these caches so cachers don't waste a trip and, more importantly, don't put themselves in danger?

Is there anyway to somehow update the pages for these caches so cachers don't waste a trip and, more importantly, don't put themselves in danger?

That would be up to the individual cache owners.

If Essex Cty is anything like Morris and Somerset, all parking areas and entrances are clearly posted with the closed dates, so it's unlikely that someone will enter the park without knowing about the hunting.

If Essex Cty is anything like Morris and Somerset, all parking areas and entrances are clearly posted with the closed dates, so it's unlikely that someone will enter the park without knowing about the hunting.

It's too bad there's nothing more that could be done collectively in bulk (by the local reviewers, for example)

It's too bad there's nothing more that could be done collectively in bulk (by the local reviewers, for example)

Reviewers only touch listings in the most extreme circumstances. Besides they have way too much on their plate for them to have to worry about changing listings in parks that are closed for hunting. If you consider all the parks in NJ that do that, it comes to hundreds of caches and the reviewer would have to individually identify each one and edit the listing. There is no way to do it in bulk, as it would have to be determined which caches were affected and which weren't.

Reviewers only touch listings in the most extreme circumstances. Besides they have way too much on their plate for them to have to worry about changing listings in parks that are closed for hunting. If you consider all the parks in NJ that do that, it comes to hundreds of caches and the reviewer would have to individually identify each one and edit the listing. There is no way to do it in bulk, as it would have to be determined which caches were affected and which weren't.

Well, don't you think a risk of getting shot is an 'extreme circumstance'? And this is a unique situation - a reservation that is not normally open to hunters, but will have them for the next 2 months.

Ok, I've exaggerated a little to make a point. I understand the challenge facing reviewers. What I'm suggesting (pie in the sky feature request, I know) is the ability for local reviewers to temporarily mark an area as off-limits or temporarily disabled.

Actually, it wouldn't be that hard to create a GSAK macro to do this. It already supports filtering by polygon area. You could use this to find all the caches in an area (which is how I came up with the number in the SMR). Then it would be simple to have it do a bulk updated to disable these caches. Unfortunately I'm not a good enough programmer to write this macro, but conceptually it would be straightforward.

Well, don't you think a risk of getting shot is an 'extreme circumstance'? And this is a unique situation - a reservation that is not normally open to hunters, but will have them for the next 2 months.

Some cache owners may take exception to reviewers tampering with their listings. In the end the cache and the listing ares the cache owner's responsibility. This is just a listing service and nothing more.

Some cache owners may take exception to reviewers tampering with their listings. In the end the cache and the listing ares the cache owner's responsibility. This is just a listing service and nothing more.

It's my understanding that there is precedent for reviewers asking owners to archive listings (or doing it themselves) when asked by authorities. See http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=204723 and http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=154878 for examples of reviewers taking more responsibility and ownership beyond simply just being volunteers for a 'listing service'.

I realize I am not an 'authority' with respect to our particular discussion :D , so my request holds little weight. I still think it is a good idea though.

When the hunt goes on the gates get shut, there are a gazzilion county police and local police keeping everyone away, there are posters, signs , newspaper accounts. The Towns are notified as are the people who live in the neighborhood. They get radio stations to announce. Access roads are shut.

Nope. And they don't warn me when high tide is in DeKorte Park, or when blueberry season attracts the bears to Bearfort Ridge. Hey, everybody! There is major flooding in the Pacific Northwest! Don't search for caches near water! Darn, I can't remember when deer season is Lewis Morris Park.

You are responsible for your own actions. Reviewers review.

It's my understanding that there is precedent for reviewers asking owners to archive listings (or doing it themselves) when asked by authorities. See http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=204723 and http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=154878 for examples of reviewers taking more responsibility and ownership beyond simply just being volunteers for a 'listing service'.

If the cache is illegal it will be delisted. That's a different issue.

Yes, the individual cache owners can update their pages. This has been happening for years and things seem to work out OK. The cachers go to the park, see the signs and turn around and go to a different park.