So what breed makes the best geocaching dog?

Sparrowhawk

I recently had fun watching every Breed All About It video from Animal Planet posted on Youtube.

After seeing these vids, it seems that the obvious choice for the best geocaching dog would be a Bull Mastiff.

In the video, they explained that Bull Mastiffs will sniff out anything that is out of the ordinary in the environment. The dog featured in the video found a bicycle seat in a field, simply because that was not the usual thing to find in a grassy field.

That sure sounds like the best geocaching canine breed to me. :blink:

However I am sure every cacher will have a different opinion. Let's hear it! :)

Had you not mentioned the criteria as being able to sniff out a cache, I would have said "Miniature Pinscher / Pomeranian mix! (See Avatar) :laughing:

Moxie's a good sniffer mind you, just more focused on sniffing animal tracks. Squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, deer. Once she even sniffed out a couple of bears! :blink:

If you're looking to train a dog to sniff out caches, I've heard that bloodhounds are supposed to be one of (if not the) best tracking dogs around. Extra sensitive noses along with ears that supposedly help to sweep up scent.

Probably the best overall caching dog would be any dog you devote the time and love into training. :)

Australian Shepards or Border Collies have the smarts to catch on to cachin'. I have experienced it a time or two first hand.

Skammer's dog Blanco (an Aussie) is a better cacher than me. I've never seen ANYONE beat Blanco to a cache. It's like shootin' fish in a barrel.

Robert hides Blanco's meals all over in ammo cans and tupperware. Same concept as people use to make a Frisbee Dog. Simple really. You just need a smart dog and those 2 breeds are the smartest there is.

Australian Shepards or Border Collies have the smarts to catch on to cachin'. I have experienced it a time or two first hand.

Skammer's dog Blanco (an Aussie) is a better cacher than me. I've never seen ANYONE beat Blanco to a cache. It's like shootin' fish in a barrel.

Robert hides Blanco's meals all over in ammo cans and tupperware. Same concept as people use to make a Frisbee Dog. Simple really. You just need a smart dog and those 2 breeds are the smartest there is.

I was going to say Border Collie too. It also seems like a Pointer would be a good one... :ph34r:
2196868860103331371S425x425Q85.jpg

Here's our beagle sniffing out a GA cache! Sniff*sniff*sniff!

Okay, reality is she hasn't been any help at all! Even with that great beagle nose and everything. But she's still a lot of fun to bring along. Maybe if there were some dog treats in those caches we'd have better luck!

When she finds McDonalds toys, you could call her the "HamBeagler!" :ph34r:

We have a golden retriever. In theory, he's a fantastic dog for hunting, fishing, hiking, and geocaching. In reality, he's a big, lovable dork who hates to get dirty and gets spooked when he steps on a stick and it goes "crack". But we bring him with because one of these days it might all click.

Ideally, you want a dog that is easily trainable, can search, can point, and has a gentle mouth.

You can actually find all these traits in almost any dog (except a yorkshire terrier. You will never find these traits in a yorkshire terrier), from pure breds to mutts. It depends on the temperment of the dog.

You may also want one that can sense your fear and react to defend you. It helps if the dog is bigger, if this is something you would like.

If you can, adopt from a Rescue or Shelter. If you want a pure bred puppy, search out reputable breeders in your area, do your homework and take your time. Reputable breeders will make you jump through several hoops to adopt one of their pups... and that is good.

I have two labs. I haven't trained them to find caches but they have sniffed out a few and they are just hilairious to watch. Just last weekend I was climbing up an icy hill, slipped a bit and muttered a few words. The yellow one, who is the youngest, came flying over the top of the hill, hit the ice and started sliding right at me. The look on his face and watching try to stop was priceless. This picture was taken after a 3/4 mi hike through the woods.

27856abb-e100-4a39-8e3d-1c55889be4e6.jpg

Nothing beats a German Shepherd! The best GSD's are the European bloodlines, which usually have Schutzhund training. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzhund The American bloodlines (AKC registered) have been bred strictly for confirmation (Stand still look pretty). They have had much of their stamina and working ability bred out of them. I am getting my next one from here... http://vombanachk9.homestead.com/.

:D Don't know what breed does the best, but I do have to say that our Rott/Shephard mix that we found as a stray does pretty good on sniffing them out. Especially when we go after TrevorandKate caches, as Trevor dog and house sits for us when we go on longer trips where we can't take the dogs. and Kopper, our Rott/Shephard, LOVES Trevor and everytime he comes over Kopper gets really excited. So when we hunt there caches I tell him to go and find Trevor, and it has worked several times....my GPSr will tell me to go one way and Kopper will go another and come up with the cache..........probably the smell of him on the container still, and some of them have been hidden over a year before.....Good luck finding a dog....try looking for one at your local shelter, Kopper has really worked for us!! CHRISNSCOTT

I vote for Boston Terrier. Don't laugh he goes with me on most caches unless it is too cold (below 25 deg F) or too hot (above 85 deg F). He has been through many rigorous challenges while caching with me including rock hopping, creek crossing, mountain climbing, storm drain slumming (his least favorite so far). If you look at my gallery you will see lots of pictures as he usually is my stand in for Earthcache, Virtual, and nice view picture opportunities.

c3e164de-abfc-4e2d-8d87-a35a15c922d5.jpg

eee1b66b-6850-48f0-8d0e-000961210f52.jpg

My husband and I are new to caching, but very excited. We have an australian shepherd and a boxer mix. both are rescues, and the aussie has birth defects. He is not a herding dog due to his defects, but loves to hike, sniff and WORK!!! this dog can be trained to do just about anything, and enjoys doing it all!

I will post again after our first outing tomorrow, and let you guys know how the two if them did! our boxer mix is a year old now, and is following the steps of the aussie, in learning to be a therapy dogs!!!

post soon!

I think any dog that listens and behaves would be good to cache with. I have a black lab that loves caching. After a long hike, he comes home and falls asleep and doesn't move for the rest of the day.

This was in the pouring rain, but Max didn't seem to mind

d0e9c436-8ee6-4720-8e20-00a1572c52ab.jpg

Because he's a lab, he loves the water

8181412f-63a0-4db7-b93c-0367645c37de.jpg

Edited by Skippermark

My two Yorkshire Terriers often accompany me on walks in the woods. They get excited when they see an obvious trail. They couldn't care less about caches, but smelling the places rabbits, deer and other woodland critters have been.......well, there's some fun for them. Of course removing the inevitable burrs and ticks from those fancy coats presents a challenge later, but that's later. It is a hoot seeing a five pound dog wearing a pink coat jump over a log. Back in the summer we were out west. In one place there was a prairie dog town. She tried to chase them right down their holes. Again, no caches, but she sure wanted those critters.

I guess if I wanted a cache huntin' dog I'd get a lab or the like, but I think I'll just hunt the caches myself. Besides, I don't think ANY dog can lift a lamp post skirt :anicute: