Paperless and 64 bit computer

I want to go paperless using a PALM, but PALM does not support Windows Vista 64 computers. My new laptop is 64bit. Has anyone else come across this, and if so, what are you doing to download the info to your palm since the hot-sync won't work? Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by picturemagic

I want to go paperless using a PALM, but PALM does not support Windows Vista 64 computers. My new laptop is 64bit. Has anyone else come across this, and if so, what are you doing to download the info to your palm since the hot-sync won't work? Thanks in advance for your help.

I posted about this a few days ago.

You need a palm that uses an SD card. Format the card on the palm, remove the card and put it in your computers card reader. Copy what files you want to the SD into the palm>launcher directory. The files will now be available on your palm when you put the card back into the palm. If you need to install applications on your palm copy the application .prc files to the SD card, again to the palm>launcher directory. You can then use the palm software to copy the files to the handheld.

If your using cachemate, just copy the .pdb files to palm>launcher on the SD card. If your a GSAK user, on the palm export dialog just set the export path to the SD card with a unique file name. Uncheck the install to palm checkbox.

If you use cachematelogging.gsk logging macro then your going to need to get a copy of fileman here. This is because cacehmate wants the .pdb file on the handheld and the palm software has no way of copying files from the handheld to the the SD card. Use fileman to copy the whateverItems-cMat.pdb file from cachemate to the SD card. When you run cachematelogging.gsk you can point it at the SD card and it should run fine.

Hopes this helps!

Jim

Also you can use a virtual machine to run a 32 bit OS for synching. The Sun VM is free and supports USb ports.

oh, that sounds like a cure that is worse than the disease. The VM might be free, but unless you have a copy of XP or 32 bit Vista, or God forbid, or ME laying around buying a copy has to more expensive than a $12 utility.

Jim

Also you can use a virtual machine to run a 32 bit OS for synching. The Sun VM is free and supports USb ports.

oh, that sounds like a cure that is worse than the disease. The VM might be free, but unless you have a copy of XP or 32 bit Vista, or God forbid, or ME laying around buying a copy has to more expensive than a $12 utility.

Unless you can sync w/ the Palm using a free OS, either natively or through WINE.

Unless you can sync w/ the Palm using a free OS, either natively or through WINE.

A cure worse than the disease. What is wrong with a simple file copy?

Jim

Another alternative is using a serial cable for the Palm and a USB to serial adapter. I am using my palm for more than caching and this allows me to use it with Vista 64x. Syncs just fine every time this way.

How do you get the drivers to work on 64bit Vista when palm does not supply 64bit drivers? And where do you plug a serial cable into a M500?

Jim

I have a serial cradle for my M515 (they originally came with serial - USB was only offered later on). You can probably find one on ebay etc... The USB cradle/cable will be of no use in this scenario. I relegated mine to the basement until such time that Palm get's their act together....

You 'only' need 64 bit drivers for the USB to Serial cable - not for the Palm... The one I use is a Trednet USB to Serial .

In the hotsync software you set it to 'local serial' and you are all set...

I have a serial cradle for my M515 (they originally came with serial - USB was only offered later on). You can probably find one on ebay etc... The USB cradle/cable will be of no use in this scenario. I relegated mine to the basement until such time that Palm get's their act together....

You 'only' need 64 bit drivers for the USB to Serial cable - not for the Palm... The one I use is a Trednet USB to Serial .

In the hotsync software you set it to 'local serial' and you are all set...

ah, okay

Jim

I posted about this a few days ago.

You need a palm that uses an SD card. Format the card on the palm, remove the card and put it in your computers card reader. Copy what files you want to the SD into the palm>launcher directory. The files will now be available on your palm when you put the card back into the palm. If you need to install applications on your palm copy the application .prc files to the SD card, again to the palm>launcher directory. You can then use the palm software to copy the files to the handheld.

If your using cachemate, just copy the .pdb files to palm>launcher on the SD card. If your a GSAK user, on the palm export dialog just set the export path to the SD card with a unique file name. Uncheck the install to palm checkbox.

If you use cachematelogging.gsk logging macro then your going to need to get a copy of fileman here. This is because cacehmate wants the .pdb file on the handheld and the palm software has no way of copying files from the handheld to the the SD card. Use fileman to copy the whateverItems-cMat.pdb file from cachemate to the SD card. When you run cachematelogging.gsk you can point it at the SD card and it should run fine.

Hopes this helps!

Jim