Fixining someone elses cache?

SkellyCA

I logged a needs maintenance a few days go, it's broken; no mention of it being fixed yet.

Should I not worry about it or should I wait longer, then go fix it?

Try contacting the owner via their profile and ask them. If it's something that you could fix easily without replacing the container then you might want to do it anyway. But I'd try asking the owner before you replace a container.

I logged a needs maintenance a few days go, it's broken; no mention of it being fixed yet.

I'd give it some more time. Lots of people take week long vacations, especially after a time when they might already get some time off of work (like last week). Even when I *am* in town if a needs maintenance log came up on one of my caches it could easily be a week or more before I had the opportunity to get out and check on it.

You did your part by logging the needs maintenance. Anything more could put your find log in jeopardy! :blink: (long story).

I wouldn't fix it. My philosophy is a cache owner should be responsible for maintaining a dry cache with at the least a clean usable log.

Caches owned by absentee owners should be flagged with a Needs Maintenance when they have a damp container, a full log, or other problems. A Should be Archived should be used for caches that are clearly not maintained, or where a Needs maintenace log has not been attended to for several weeks.

You did your part by logging the needs maintenance. Anything more could put your find log in jeopardy! :blink: (long story).

I'll have to agee with this. You did your part. The rest is up to the cache owner.

I had a very nice log today! Someone found one of my caches, (which seems to have been in poor condition,) and broke it opening it. He went into the nearby supermarket, and bought a new cache container. Thanks!

I'll have to agee with this. You did your part. The rest is up to the cache owner.

I had a very nice log today! Someone found one of my caches, (which seems to have been in poor condition,) and broke it opening it. He went into the nearby supermarket, and bought a new cache container. Thanks!

That's what happened here, the opening part is broke; it's just not a container that you can just walk into a store and find.

I fixed up someone else's once. The owner was absentee and hadn't maintained his caches for more than 2 years but people were still going out and looking for them. This cache had been logged for Needs Maintenance several times but the reviewer either did not see it or ignored them. I stopped by the location and changed out the container and re-hid the cache under better cover. It had been muggled several times and its location had changed several times during its life due to the muggles rehiding it!!! The plastic container had virtually disintegrated because of the exposure to UV rays. I replaced it with a spare clear peanut butter container I just happened to have with me. Although as it turns out a cameoed container would have been better suited.

It is too far from me to reliably maintain so I didn't want to adopt it. The only other alternative was to pick up the geotrash and notify the reviewer to archive the cache.

We are in a mostly rural area out here and miles between caches, so it really isn't uncommon for a cache to be repaired or replaced as needed by a fellow cacher. I for one am glad if someone agrees to help. And every time I have returned the favor I have been met with thanks. Works pretty good for the most part..

I fixed up someone else's once. The owner was absentee and hadn't maintained his caches for more than 2 years but people were still going out and looking for them. This cache had been logged for Needs Maintenance several times but the reviewer either did not see it or ignored them. I stopped by the location and changed out the container and re-hid the cache under better cover. It had been muggled several times and its location had changed several times during its life due to the muggles rehiding it!!! The plastic container had virtually disintegrated because of the exposure to UV rays. I replaced it with a spare clear peanut butter container I just happened to have with me. Although as it turns out a cameoed container would have been better suited.

It is too far from me to reliably maintain so I didn't want to adopt it. The only other alternative was to pick up the geotrash and notify the reviewer to archive the cache.

Opps double post due to Groundspeak system error.

Edited by Roarmeister

The only reason I would not help out with an obvious needed repair is in a case where the cache container is somehow very unique or uniquely camo'd. Even then, I would try and leave something to help protect the caches' contents where and when I could. I have several times left a newer smaller container inside of a broken older and larger box.

Of course I would notify the owner and offer to get my replacement retrieved if necessary.

If I have things with me that can allow me to fix a cache, then I will. Mostly its replacing a full or wet log. If it's a broken container, I sometimes have a small or midsize L&L in my pack so I might replace it. I will usually note that in my log. If more people do this, it could help keep caches going longer for more people to find.

Agreed 100%.