Doan Cave - Ralph Stover Park - Bucks County PA

SKNagy

I am looking for Doan Cave, located near the Tohickon Creek in Raph Stover Park, in Bucks County, PA. I have been told that there is a geocache located right at the cave. Does anyone know the cache coordinates, or the cache name? I have been unable to find it on geocache.com

Thanks for the help.

-Steve

Edited by SKNagy

I don't know whether Oreviewer looked for archived caches in that area, but since he's a pretty thorough guy I'm betting he did.

Maybe there's a cache there listed on another caching site like Navicache or Terracaching? Or maybe there's a letterbox there that someone thought was a geocache?

If all you want to do is find the cave you can probably call the park office and ask to speak to a ranger. They could tell you whether the cave exists, what restrictions there may be to access it and how to get to it if access is permitted.

Since it's winter now many caves where bats hibernate are closed to visitation until May or June. Not sure if that's a factor with this particular cave, but something to be aware of.

I don't know whether Oreviewer looked for archived caches in that area, but since he's a pretty thorough guy I'm betting he did.

He did! :blink::) It is possible there is a puzzle final in there I am not remembering but I'm also not seeing any puzzles in the 2 mile radius that I think are there.

Yup O, you're just too predictable. :blink:

I did a little googling on the cave and found out some interesting area history on the outlaw Doan family. The story has the makings for an excellent cache, methinks. Lots of cool locations for a multi. The cave area itself would be a great place for a cache if it was permitted.

The Doans

Well, GC111C is in Ralph Stover Park (according to the description). However, it doesn't say anything about the cave. I was there last weekend, and the ranger didn't know anything about it. However, the nice folks at the Bucks County Historical Society know of the cave, know it is in the Park, and know it was recently surveyed. They also told me there was a geocache right at the cave entrance. Unfortuanately, they couldn't give me anything else other than reference geocaching.com.

Hopefully, someone here has been there ??

Well, GC111C is in Ralph Stover Park (according to the description). However, it doesn't say anything about the cave. I was there last weekend, and the ranger didn't know anything about it. However, the nice folks at the Bucks County Historical Society know of the cave, know it is in the Park, and know it was recently surveyed. They also told me there was a geocache right at the cave entrance. Unfortuanately, they couldn't give me anything else other than reference geocaching.com.

There is a geocache in the park (Gecko 001) and it's very close to the entrance of a little cave.. It's a little one-room cave you need to crawl into and it's only big enough for 3 or 4 people if I recall correctly. Doan's isn't very big from what I've read.

EDITED TO ADD: None of my books on PA Caves mention "Doans Cave". There's a "Deans Cave" along the Tohickon Creek which is more of a rock shelter than a cave and from the description I think Deans and Doans are the same one. There's a Doans Cave listed on topo maps in the vicinity of the Gecko001 cache. So maybe that little cave/shelter place is Doans? If so, don't expect much of a cave or you'll be disappointed.

So, it would seem that either there are 2 caves very close together, or Deans and Doans are the same "cave" and are located where the cache is. Go find the cache and I guarantee you'll find the little cave/shelter place. I did. (See the pics for Gecko001 cache, there's a picture of a kid in the cave entrance)

Edited by DocDiTTo

There is a geocache in the park (Gecko 001) and it's very close to the entrance of a little cave.. It's a little one-room cave you need to crawl into and it's only big enough for 3 or 4 people if I recall correctly. Doan's isn't very big from what I've read.

EDITED TO ADD: None of my books on PA Caves mention "Doans Cave". There's a "Deans Cave" along the Tohickon Creek which is more of a rock shelter than a cave and from the description I think Deans and Doans are the same one. There's a Doans Cave listed on topo maps in the vicinity of the Gecko001 cache. So maybe that little cave/shelter place is Doans? If so, don't expect much of a cave or you'll be disappointed.

So, it would seem that either there are 2 caves very close together, or Deans and Doans are the same "cave" and are located where the cache is. Go find the cache and I guarantee you'll find the little cave/shelter place. I did. (See the pics for Gecko001 cache, there's a picture of a kid in the cave entrance)

At one time, I did a lot of caving in that area and in eastern PA. Much in line with what DocDitto has mentioned, I do not remember that there are any real caves, that is, solution caves, in that exact area, and rather, the "cave" in question is almost surely a small rock shelter formed by fallen rocks and similar phenomena over the years.