Co-ordinates to a cache within a cache

Diemanca

I've just discovered a woodlot near me that hasn't been cached yet. I explored it yesterday and was very impressed with the almost pristine state of it, it's away from any concentrated habitation. It seems a shame to just place a single cache here so I was thinking of putting down two, one at either end and somehow linking to the nearer one from the most distant, so that you have to get the far one to find the location of the other.

This would increase the difficulty rating for both caches because there are no trails here.

Can I put the co-ordinates inside the cache container? If not, how can I link a cache to a cache?

Wouldn't that be a multi-cache?

I don't think so, that would only give the cacher one find wouldn't it?

I suppose what I'm thinking of could be called a linked double cache. Two finds, but one has to found before the other one can be.

So two multi caches.

If one could be found and logged without going to the other, that would be a regular cache.

But if you have to find one to find the other that's multi.

Could you list teh first one as a Regular (furthest one in), and the second one as a Mystery/Puzzle?

Coordinates for the "bonus" cache (closer one) are in the Regular.

To the Bonus Cache I would add the requirement that the first one would need to be found bfore you could log the bonus (to prevent people from handing off the cooridnates to someone who hadn't found the first one).

(Editted to add ALR)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

I suppose what I'm thinking of could be called a linked double cache. Two finds, but one has to found before the other one can be.

Yes, it would be a multi-cache. And yes, you would only get one find for two containers. It's amazing how many people refuse to seek out multi-caches because they feel they get cheated out of a couple of smileys.

A linked double-cache would also work as long as they are at least 528-ft apart, or maybe a little less depending on your local reviewer and special circumstances. Make one a traditional (just go to the listed coords and sign the log) and the other a mystery/unknown (you have to retrieve the coords from the other cache).

Then you need 3 to do what you're saying. I know of one in our area like that. Cache 1 holds the N coords and Cache 2 holds the W coords. You have to have both of them to find Cache 3.

For BBWolf's, it would be 2 caches. The first cache is a regular and it contains the full coords (both north & west) to the second. The second is a mystery and could only be found if they find the first.

Don't be so hung up on the number of smilies-worry about creating a quality caching experience for those who choose to seek your cache. A well done multi cache rocks!

You'll have the most visits to both caches if you simply place two traditional caches. Most cachers will seek them both once they're on site. And those who do not go to the one further out, would likely not have gone after your bonus, either. By NOT tying them together, they often more options to seekers, and the second cache isn't orphaned if there's problem with the first.

You'll have the most visits to both caches if you simply place two traditional caches.

Bingo! Those folks with the P&G mentality might avoid a multi or a puzzle as kwickly as they would avoid a cache requiring more than 15' of walking, so I wouldn't sweat not satisfying that crowd. Further, there are cachers who appreciate more than P&Gs, but for reasons of their own exclude puzzles and multis from their PQs. I think you can maximize the number of people who find both by making them both traditionals.

Could you list teh first one as a Regular (furthest one in), and the second one as a Mystery/Puzzle?

I have a series like this. Cache 1 has the coordinates for Cache 2, 3, 4 and 5. Cache 1 is listed as a traditional and the other 4 are puzzles/mystery.

I use the coordinates for Cache 1 as the bogus coords for cache 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Thanks everyone for those thoughtful answers. For some reason known only to me, and then even I'm not sure why, I had the idea that a stage of a multi couldn't be connected to another cache. As in having the cords inside the first cache container. Now I know. :blink:

I'm keeping everyones suggestions in mind as I develop this further, it's such a beautiful old woodlot that I want their experience to be a memorable one.

You'll have the most visits to both caches if you simply place two traditional caches. Most cachers will seek them both once they're on site. And those who do not go to the one further out, would likely not have gone after your bonus, either. By NOT tying them together, they often more options to seekers, and the second cache isn't orphaned if there's problem with the first.

Hiding or seeking the numbers don't matter. At least not to me. I have several caches that I knew only a select few would hunt. They are the type of cache that I prefer. Longish hikes in interesting bits of terrain off the beaten path. Not for everyone and that's ok.

As long as they fit within the guidelines hide 'em how you want. They are, after all, yours. Hide what you like to find.