December statistics

holograph

The December statistics are available on the statistics page. The maps have also been updated, as well as the county listing.

Although only 159 new recoveries have been added, we need to remember that the previous statistics included the first week of December. So far, no new recoveries have been updated in January, so these numbers will stand until the statistics are run again at the beginning of February.

geocac_map_t.gif delta_map_t.gif

Just a side note for those who use the NGS site......Benchmarks by Load Date is now available for 2009, thanks to David Gietka and Janet Irwin.

There were some minor bumps along the way, but Janet made the final "tweak" on January 6th and it is working fine. This is the earliest we've ever had the new year in the drop-down box. Thanks, NGS. (And save your programming notes. We'll be back in eleven months, looking for 2010--Grin.)

-Paul-

Hi, LSUfan:

The reports will be coming along, later. The date is unpredictable.

Several years ago, GEOCAC reports were uploaded during the last week of every month. Then it shifted to the first week in the next month. Occasionally, it skips a month. And last Fall, it skipped three months.

We've speculated that it is related to the workload of the NGS staffer who is responsible for checking our reports. If that is the situation, December's delay may be caused by the number of holidays involved. It's a "double whammy". The NGS staff is off work. Meanwhile, GEOCAC members are also off work and are out....(you saw this coming)....recovering benchmarks! [Grin.]

My theory is that this is a well-intentioned (but doomed) attempt to teach patience to Type-A benchmark hunters. :laughing:

By the way, I was out Christmas morning, also. I had the world all to myself, and got to chat with some University security guards who pulled duty, that day.

New Year's morning also was good. I was on a team hunt in Raleigh NC and we didn't have to dodge traffic until late in the morning.

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

Thanks for your reply Paul. I was just kinda confusing myself, when Holograph said he had the December statistics, that it meant that was all the recoveries that the NGS were going to release for December.

Jim, I also appreciate the effort you put forth with your maps and statistics. I enjoy looking at them.

Edited by LSUFan

The simple rule is that a month's statistics includes all the datasheet updates that were published in that month, regardless of the date of the actual recovery. However, in the spirit of benchmark hunting, nothing is simple. The complicated reality follows:

As others have said, when you submit a recovery report, the datasheet is not immediately updated and published, it is queued and eventually updated after being handled internally at the NGS. When the datasheet is updated, it is internally marked with the "load date" on which the modified datasheet was published (as opposed to the date of the recovery report).

Usually I go to the NGS website and use the "find datasheets by load date" to pull all the datasheets that have been updated in the last calendar month, for instance December 1, 2008 to December 31, 2008. That's what I would call the "December statistics".

For the past few months, it seemed like most of the recoveries for a month tended to be published about the first week of the following month, so frequently it's been necessary to do a second run to find them. This time around, I waited until January 8 to download not only December's updates, but also any updates for January 1 to January 8. Unfortunately, this time there weren't any GEOCAC recoveries in the January updates, so we're left with the few that were added in December.

To complicate things further, on December 6th I had done one of those catchup runs to collect the thousand or so updates that had been backlogged and finally published in early December, so the "November statistics" actually included the first week of December as well as backlogged reports going back to late August. That meant that this month's "December statistics" only contained 159 new reports that were published since December 6. In fact, the latest recovery report in those statistics was for a December 18th recovery of KV0539.

It is likely that next month, at the beginning of February, when I collect all the datasheets that were published in January, more recovery reports submitted in December will be included. Any reports for recoveries in 2008 will be added to the statistics page under the 2008 column, since the statistics page summarizes by the actual recovery date, not the NGS publication date.

Jim, I do appreciate the explanation of how the statistics work. I feel guilty now that you spent so much time typing up that fantastic post, so my simple mind could understand......which I do completely. :anicute:

Thanks so much.

Edited by LSUFan

shorbird said:

Not sure if I'm a Type-A or not......

LOL....Your position at the top of the Statistics Page is a dead giveaway. But if you have any doubt, ask your spouse. :yikes: If she's like my Sandee, she won't mince words! [Chuckle.]

-Paul-

Type A personality? LOL ++.

For anybody with more than 1,000 NGS recoveries in the past four years, a little honest introspection would suggest that "Type A personality" is a phase through which we have long-since passed. Obsessive-compulsive disorder may be a more fitting diagnosis.

Will

p.s. In the interest of full disclosure: this from the brother-in-law of a Professor of Psychology, said brother-in-law being a source of endless interest and amusement to said professor.

Edited by seventhings

Type A personality? LOL ++.

For anybody with more than 1,000 NGS recoveries in the past four years, a little honest introspection would suggest that "Type A personality" is a phase through which we have long-since passed. Obsessive-compulsive disorder may be a more fitting diagnosis.

Will

p.s. In the interest of full disclosure: this from the brother-in-law of a Professor of Psychology, said brother-in-law being a source of endless interest and amusement to said professor.

HEY! I resemble that remark! :P

My obsessive-compulsive is quite orderly, thank-you very much. :laughing:

In truth, obsessive-compulsive doesn't really cover it, what's the next stage? :blink:

15.) You get a call from a friend about taking a trip to (insert destination here) and you say “hang on” & do a quick search of the area on CG.com (or worse yet, use the NGS interactive map retrieval) before saying yes or no.

Oh. They allow me a few benchmarks along the way. And SOMEONE had to log benchmarks in Kennebec and Aroostook Counties, Maine, to color all of Maine in on holograph's maps! Yes. We were helping my sister with her Maine DeLorme Challenge, but they didn't want to see me suffer from withdrawal.

Reminds me, I do have to log my one winter benchmark, so it'll make the next update!