Why?

BAPMAN CREW

My Family an I just made our 100th find and we are ready to make our first Hide. We realy thought we wanted to put a geacoin in our first Hide but so many of the coins go missing. We have found a number of coins and bugs and moved them along. There has been a number of caches that said there were coins or bugs in them; but were empty. I have found as many trackables as were not there. With those odds WHY put out the expence????

My Family an I just made our 100th find and we are ready to make our first Hide. We realy thought we wanted to put a geacoin in our first Hide but so many of the coins go missing. We have found a number of coins and bugs and moved them along. There has been a number of caches that said there were coins or bugs in them; but were empty. I have found as many trackables as were not there. With those odds WHY put out the expence????

It's called "Faith"

You could ask that same question - "Why?" - about geocaching in general. Why drive out miles, lots of them in some cases, just to sign a book that might be damp or not even there anymore?

The answer is that because when it works it is so much fun! The same goes for TBs or geocoins: when they are moving, fulfilling their missions, and geocachers share photos of the journey it is all good. It is funny how we don't think about the cost of the TB dog tag or geocoin when we release it. It is only when it stops moving that we think, "Well, that was $x.xx wasted!" One could argue that it is money lost as soon as you let it out of your hands and into the control of something, or someone, else.

On the bright side, there are some cases where mistakes are made and give the appearance of theft or loss. I moved a coin to my area and monitored the cache to see how quickly it would move. I felt so guilty when I saw reports of "Coin not in cache." I was out caching the other day and visited one on my list that had no trackables according to gc.com, but when I found it there was the SAME COIN that I have moved months earlier. I will place it again soon and hope for the best, which is all we can ever do for our own.

Good luck with your first hide, with or without a geocoin!

I thought it may be a waste myself when i started getting Geocoins and TB's to let loose in caches.

I now have over 100 out and there is only a few that have been missing for over a year.

I have one that has been missing for 5 years so it may never come back but i am keeping my fingers crossed.

Me and my kids have such a blast watching where our Coins go and i do not regret it at all.

I have way over five hundred dollars in coins and TB's out there but it has been well worth the money for over 5 years of enjoyment to me and my family.

I could not think of any cheaper entertainment that could last a lifetime as this.

My daughter wll be getting to open a Birthday present on the 1-19-09 and it has one of her favorite ones in there that has been all around the world and i may have another for her by the 19th.

This is the first one we have had return home.

Good Luck and you will not regret it.

Edited by River Cacher

The reason to put them out there is to get the emails from logs! Whenever a coin is found, the onwer gets an email, if the logger is nice enough to leave a little story, take a pic or just say something nice, I LOVE it!!

I personally don't have a whole lot out there, but I have around 300 coins I'm watching lol!!

Whoever keeps activated geocoins is really dumb, because it's pointless to have an activated item, it's like picking up a candy bar off the ground that doesn't have a wrapper, and then eating it...who does that?

candy bar with or without nuts?

ILYK
Edited by drneal

...WHY ...????

Because you can.

You can even put one out that's a trade item and not just a trackable. A gift to the community. If someone steals that, well, they failed.

That is the model we have adopted for many geocoins projects.

We sell enough geocoins to collectors to put all the ones we receive into caches as giveaways.

We have managed to put out hundreds of free geocoins and as you noted, we can rest easy as they are never stolen. :laughing:

I have placed new unactivated geocoins with a card indicating it is a gift and can be taken and even then they are taken with no log being made. :laughing:

It is still nice to see that a geocoin is going out and enriching someone's caching experience. :wub:

I consider a coin lost the moment I put it in a cache to travel.

That way it is not frustrating if it is lost and all the more fun to read the logs and see the photo's.

Putting some unactivated ones in caches for others to find, giving them away is fun and sending them on a mission for a good course too.

That is priceless.

And let's be honest. There are coins that can be bought cheap. If you can not afford it, do not get into buying coins but spend your money on important things.

Well, there are lots of good thoughts on this topic, for me releasing a coin is a bit like fishing. You never know when your favorite lure is going to be taken away from you by a branch, seaweed, logs underwater... or if you're lucky enough by a fish! Now, I don't have a lot of bugs and coins out there but I do have a few. Most are still making their rounds . My Liberty coin has gone missing, but I really can't blame whoever took it. It really is a beautiful coin. That said, in most instances I buy 2 coins... one to release the other stays in my collection. I truly do enjoy reading the travels of the coins and bugs though, it's great!

Well, there are lots of good thoughts on this topic, for me releasing a coin is a bit like fishing. You never know when your favorite lure is going to be taken away from you by a branch, seaweed, logs underwater... or if you're lucky enough by a fish! Now, I don't have a lot of bugs and coins out there but I do have a few. Most are still making their rounds . My Liberty coin has gone missing, but I really can't blame whoever took it. It really is a beautiful coin. That said, in most instances I buy 2 coins... one to release the other stays in my collection. I truly do enjoy reading the travels of the coins and bugs though, it's great!

Yes...Like fishing indeed. When I was about 12, I went with my uncle, and he had a mishap with his brand new rod...He lost his grip while casting, and it sailed away off the pier into the bay. That may be like what happens to some Coins, but Strange things can happen, like when an hour later, I thought I had a Fish, only to reel in his lost rod!!! It didn't get away after all.(completely true!!)

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I like releasing them, only a few ever make it anywhere remotely close to their mission but its still great to see the logs from other cachers and the occasional photo of its traveling. I have a couple coins that I'm actually jealous of...

Whoever keeps activated geocoins is really dumb, because it's pointless to have an activated item, it's like picking up a candy bar off the ground that doesn't have a wrapper, and then eating it...who does that?

I'm not dumb :anicute:

I like to tote around a sack of activated coins when I go caching. If I run in to another cacher then it makes their caching day to see and discover all my great coins. Its also handy when it comes to events where activated or not, they are good for trades and discoveries. I've had a number of coisn that travelled all over the place then made their way back to me. Those coins are sough after as much or more so than unactivated in event trades since they have a rich history.

I like releasing them, only a few ever make it anywhere remotely close to their mission but its still great to see the logs from other cachers and the occasional photo of its traveling. I have a couple coins that I'm actually jealous of...

I'm not dumb :anicute:

I like to tote around a sack of activated coins when I go caching. If I run in to another cacher then it makes their caching day to see and discover all my great coins. Its also handy when it comes to events where activated or not, they are good for trades and discoveries. I've had a number of coisn that travelled all over the place then made their way back to me. Those coins are sough after as much or more so than unactivated in event trades since they have a rich history.

I'm pretty sure they were refering to keeping activated Coins that belong to others and are supposed to be traveling??