4th International Math Trade

ECplus3

I will second everyone elses thank you for all the hard work. Less than half my coins traded and only one mistake on my part. I fat fingered one number and will received a coin I already own but a good coin that will make a good trade in the future. I will apologize in advance to all that will be receiving coins from me. I cannot mail coins until the first, didn't budget it in(I only get paid on the first). Totally forgot about the mailing cost and since over half of the coins that did trade are out of the country and every trade is a different person, well you understand. All coins will be mailed March 1st. I have all address except AtlantaGal, everybody elses (that I had) are in the address list.

I tried sending the addresses you need to your hotmail account, but it got bounced back. :mad:

I can't PM you because my username messes up the message system.

I'm sure AtlantaGal can find some way to get you her address. :o

I got the address from AtlantaGal. I have no idea why you email bounced back, it seems to be working fine on my end. Thanks again.

Since it's not a holiday here in Canada, I just went to the post office and sent all my packages. I have just wrote a little note to each of my recipients to let them know about it :wub: Please keep in mind that sometimes our postal service can be very sllllllllloooooowwwww :o

Can't wait to start receiving my coins :mad:

Edited by Laval K-9

I'd like to see them too, and actually I'd love to see everyone's want lists as well :o

Maybe you could put them in an additional sheet in the spreadsheet?

Katja - kdv

If anyone is reeeaaaally that interested in the loops, I can email you the raw data. :mad:

Like Laval K-9 said, since the post offices are open here (even though it's a holiday) I thought I would mail my packages. Unfortunately, as luck would have it, I ran out of my usually large supply of packing tape. And even though the post offices are open - stores selling packing tape are not. :mad:

So, they will have to wait a day but they'll be out tomorrow.

And I would like to see the raw data too -- but only when you have time...you did a great job and deserve a break!

Like Laval K-9 said, since the post offices are open here (even though it's a holiday) I thought I would mail my packages. Unfortunately, as luck would have it, I ran out of my usually large supply of packing tape. And even though the post offices are open - stores selling packing tape are not. :mad:

So, they will have to wait a day but they'll be out tomorrow.

And I would like to see the raw data too -- but only when you have time...you did a great job and deserve a break!

Yeah, only half of the provinces have a Winter holiday (we don't yet), but it only applies to provincial workers. Federal employees (like the post office) have to work it no matter what province they are in.

I got all my mailers out today.

Hi everyone!

By now, I imagine most everyone has looked over their send and receive lists to see what they are sending out and to whom, and (more importantly) what they should be expecting in their own mailbox.

Just to help me out, I'd appreciate if everyone could post on this thread when they mail things out and when they start receiving things. You don't have to post something everytime a mailer comes in (unless you want to :mad:), but weekly updates on what has shown up would be great. Even something as simple as:

Mailed: 12 of 12 packages - 16/02/09

Received: 0 of 8

That would be great. Of course, coin photos are always appreciated!

Uhm, see post 1?:

Q. What is a geocoin math trade? What makes it different from a 'normal' trade?

A. In a ' normal' trade, person A gives coin X to person B and person B give coin Y to person A. Sometimes person A wants a coin that person B has, but has nothing that interests person B to give in return. In that case person A could go looking for a person C to arrange a trade to get a coin from person's B want list. In a math trade you don't have to hunt for a 'person C' -- the software will do this for you! The math trade software will find optimal 'trade chains', some of which may involve just the regular 2 coins, while other 'trade chains' that are part of the same math trade may involve 3, 4, 5 or even more coins.

ive peeked at this for awhile now-- now that you are all done--can someone explain this to me im way confused,, how does this work? mabie i can learn for the next one? feel free to send me mails

thanks ahead of time for any one willing to take the time to explain! :mad:

And just to expand on what kdv has copied from the first page: essentially, Chuck has some software that figures out optimal trades. It basically figures out who needs to send what coin to whom in order for everyone to get the coin he or she wants.

Example: you have an ET that kdv wants. Kdv has a YemonYime I want. I have a YotO that you want. You send the ET to kdv, who sends the Yime to me, and I send you the YotO. We're all happy. Easy enough to figure out with just three people involved; what if there are, say, five? Or seven in a chain? Or ten?

The software figures it all out.

-=-=-=-

No problem, die_anita! You did get some super cool coins, congrats!

Didn't get any of my primary heart's desires, but did get quite afew neat ones, in addition to getting rid of some extras. Barring a oopsie on my part - a "9" instead of a "0" - I'm quite satisfied with the outcome of this exercise. :wub:

Following the chain of trades for many of the coins was a daunting task that required an immense amount of scrolling.. I tracked about 50 coins for one chain before I gave up. The computations must have been fairly significant, which goes to say that the software must have been very well designed. Kudos!

There were really only 7 'trades' in this math trade.

Number of groups = 7

Group sizes = 276 182 155 31 5 4 2

If anyone is reeeaaaally that interested in the loops, I can email you the raw data. :mad:

Yes, I'm reeeaaaally interested in seeing the raw data! :o (and the algorithm too if I may)

19 coins going out to 14 people in 6 countries, and receiving 14 from from 9 people.

I'm short of bubble mailers and have nowhere to get them in close proximity.. to make sure all of 'em get sent on time tomorrow, I improvised by cutting my big bubble mailers into half for the individual coins. Lowered postage cost too!

As I mentioned before, all packages with more than a single coin are packed and ready to go for tomorrow. The other 12 coins (all single trades) will ship on Thursday.

I wish I could say how many packages, but I have about 20 packages that are ebay and trades in my mail bin too. Sure glad I buy my mailers by the case!

Tomorrow will be an expensive shipping day.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Uhm, see post 1?:

Q. What is a geocoin math trade? What makes it different from a 'normal' trade?

A. In a ' normal' trade, person A gives coin X to person B and person B give coin Y to person A. Sometimes person A wants a coin that person B has, but has nothing that interests person B to give in return. In that case person A could go looking for a person C to arrange a trade to get a coin from person's B want list. In a math trade you don't have to hunt for a 'person C' -- the software will do this for you! The math trade software will find optimal 'trade chains', some of which may involve just the regular 2 coins, while other 'trade chains' that are part of the same math trade may involve 3, 4, 5 or even more coins.

ive peeked at this for awhile now-- now that you are all done--can someone explain this to me im way confused,, how does this work? mabie i can learn for the next one? feel free to send me mails

thanks ahead of time for any one willing to take the time to explain! <_<

yes i understand that far,, but watching this thread for the last months o so,, seems like there more to it then that??? is there not ,, what the heck am i missing here,, just seems to simple?

yes i understand that far,, but watching this thread for the last months o so,, seems like there more to it then that??? is there not ,, what the heck am i missing here,, just seems to simple?

Well, that's just it. It is simple. It's just a program-assisted method of swapping coins.

Setting up your want list is about the hardest thing there is to do. You have to read through thousands of coins and make lists, order them by priority, etc. That's probably the most complicated and confusing part of the whole process.

Just got back from the post office:

17FEB09 - 10 of 10 packages mailed.

Recipients: Zarya, DrJeepStr, -Eleanor-, Tadpole279, E&CPlus3, Crowesfeat30, ModelCitizen, Globy, Geocachingdragon, Laval K-9

17FEB09 - 0 of 12 packages received

Senders remaining: Avroair, -Eleanor-, Crowesfeat30, DarkOnyx1982, Die_Anita, DOC256, Dresseldragons, DrJeepStr, GeoKs, PSU Fan, TeamAmaro, The Moop Along

We should do this more often. : )

Well, that's just it. It is simple. It's just a program-assisted method of swapping coins.

Setting up your want list is about the hardest thing there is to do. You have to read through thousands of coins and make lists, order them by priority, etc. That's probably the most complicated and confusing part of the whole process.

[/quote/]

really i thought there was something you had to solve, i got that from the posts probably from everyone saying they messed up their lists....lol ill have to give this a go next time, thank you for explaining, man was i making this alot harder then it ever was ,, and not fully understanding .

:D ... still trying to figure out how die-anita made sure that I would win the Pure. Color - Travel Edition Yellow that she knew I was really hoping to end up with..... <_<:(:D

CF30

Hihi, maybe I felt that you really want this coin? I am always very happy to read that a coin of mine will go to a person who really wants it and is happy to get it! That makes my day :D

If anyone is reeeaaaally that interested in the loops, I can email you the raw data. <_<

I'd like to see them too, and actually I'd love to see everyone's want lists as well :(

Maybe you could put them in an additional sheet in the spreadsheet?

Katja - kdv

Done. There are two new worksheets in the Math Trade document titled "Want Lists" and "The Gory Details". :D

One curious note: Just to double check the software, I deleted all the coins that were successfully traded and ran the software again. It should have come back with no trades, but instead, it listed 3 additional trades:

TRADE LOOPS (3 total trades):

(EL_ROLFO) 536		receives (UKTIM) 1411
(UKTIM) 1411		  receives (TADPOLE379) 1059
(TADPOLE379) 1059	 receives (EL_ROLFO) 536

ITEM SUMMARY (3 total trades):

(EL_ROLFO) 536		receives (UKTIM) 1411		  and sends to (TADPOLE379) 1059

(TADPOLE379) 1059	 receives (EL_ROLFO) 536		and sends to (UKTIM) 1411

(UKTIM) 1411		  receives (TADPOLE379) 1059	 and sends to (EL_ROLFO) 536

Now, it is up to the three parties involved to decide what to do with this info.

I'll be bringing this to the attention of the software writer to see if I can get an explanation.

There were a lot of people mad at me for holding up the line so long at the post office this morning but all 13 packages are now sent.

Recipients: 2golfers, AtlantaGal, Choc-O, Dark_Onyx1982, Dimkasmir, -Eleanor- and The Moop Along, Geoks, KDV, Laval K-9, Mauison, PSU Fan, The Moops, and UKTim.

I'll email tracking numbers to the US recipients. Sorry, international recipients, tracking was not available for your packages.

2/17/2009

Shipped: 13 of 13

Recieved: 0 of 14

Blue skies and happy caching!

Model Citizen - Zero Discipline

9 of my 12 coins were traded <_<

Mailed 5 packages yesterday and 1 today.

17FEB09 - 6 of 6 packages mailed to:

atlantagal (1), dark_onyx1982 (1), drjeepstr (2), southpawaz (1), the moops (3), uktim (1)

17FEB09 - 0 of 6 packages received from

avroair (1), doc256 (2), fossillady (1), tadpole379 (1), the moop along (3), the moops (1)

Mailed: 5 of 6 packages - 17/02/09

Received: none, thats way too early!

I'm lacking Geosmurfanas address, I emaild her but didn't get an answer yet. :laughing:

I thought I had emailed all the addresses you needed to your google account.

I sent it again using your GC account email.

Edited by E&Cplus3

Sent packages today to The Moop Along, Li-Z, Icydove, Modelcitizen, Chur, El_Rolfo, Tadpole379

I ran out of bubble mailers, but will send the rest tomorrow (Geosmurfana, The 4 F's, Globy, Crowesfeat30, Plnauta)

So 7 out of 12 sent - 0 out of 12 received.

02/17/2009

15 of 15 packages sent to:

-Eleanor-(1), 2golfers(1), Atlantagal(1), Burgessfour(3), Cheesy Pigs(1), Choc-O(1), DresselDragons(2), Jackalgirl(1), Kdv(1), Mauison(1), Motocycleboi(2), PSU Fan(1), Southpawaz(3), Theotokos(1), Zarya.(2)

0 of 17 from:

AtlantaGal(2), Avroair(3), BurgessFour, Die_Anita, Drjeepstr(2), El_Rolfo, GeoKs, Globy, Jackalgirl, KDV, Mauison, MotocycleBoi, Tadpole379, The Moops, Theotokos, Uktim(2), Zarya.

CF30

14 of 14 packages (19 coins) put out for the mailman on 17 Feb '09 to (and I'm using shorthand here):

Eltada (1), Globy (1), Tadpole (1), modelcitizen (1), Alliedoz (1), Eleanor (1), Burgessfour (1), Doc265 (4), Geoks (2), crowes (1), TMA (1), mauison (1) southpaw (1), motocycle (2)

0 of 9 packages (18 coins) received from:

Theotokos (3), Jackalgirl(1), DrJeepStr (6), Icydove (1), Geoks (1), GCdragon (2), Cheesypigs (1), Crowes (2), TMA (1)

It's been quite a mailing day. I can envision tiny, valuable coins flying across the continent in all kinds of vehicles over the next few days.

I got them mailed today! :laughing:

Seven packages went out to:

Cheesypigs (Two Coins)

Team ZZZ (Three Coins)

Doc256 (One Coin)

Drjeepstr (Six Coins)

UKTim (One Coin)

PLnauta (One Coin)

crowesfeat30 (One Coin)

I have tracking numbers for the two U.S. packages that I will email.....

Received: 0 out of 15 so far :laughing:

This was very fun and I will look forward to checking the mail for a while!

Edited by burgessfour