4th International Math Trade

ECplus3

Over 800 coins! Wow! So, in the end, how many trades do we end up making? As many as we want or do we just end up with one coin?

There is the potential for every coin you list to be traded, and each possibly to a different person.

In the last math trade, I listed 17 coins. 2 didn't trade and the other 15 were mailed off to 11 different people.

So ... you can trade what you want.. None.. some... or all of them, to whomever you want, based on matches by the magical math machine? yes?

Short answer is yes. We've only participated in one international math trade so far, but in our limited experience, depending on the how much you want each of coins submitted, you need to spend some thinking time...

The regrouping phase - if you see someone's listed a coin (or set of coins) that you REALLY want and you're willing to trade multiple coins for it (them), you will strategically group (some) of your coins so that you're positioned to make a really "sweet" offer for something high on your want list.

The want list phase - when it's time for this phase, read the instructions through about 4 times...that way you won't end up with multiple copies of the same coin (unless that's what you want) and you may be able to position your "regrouped" coins to be more likely to be matched to coins that are high on your want list.

We printed lists off a few different times, so ended up using a fair bit of paper last time. This time, we'll wait until the phases are closed before printing off and analyzing all the participating coins.

Bottom line is that it was a little hectic during the regrouping and want list submission phases, but we had a LOT of fun with it. Last go around we submitted 30 coins, of which 24 traded via 18 trades mailed to 14 different participants in Canada, the U.S., Australia and Europe.

Needless-to-say, our request to participate was just e-mailed!

Over 800 coins! Wow! So, in the end, how many trades do we end up making? As many as we want or do we just end up with one coin?

Am I in the wrong file? I listed coin #777 just a few minutes ago. And why are there new sheets with coins listed on them? Bueller? :cry:

TMA

There were 800 coins. I'm guessing some people may have cut down their lists a bit when they realized that the coins they list may all be traded (and the corresponding shipping fees that would go along with that).

BUT they do not subscribe to a trading gallery so I have NO IDEA what kinds of coins they collect

It's a good idea to ask up front if you're looking to set up a one-on-one trade, but for this math trade, there is a system. In my understanding, participants would wait for the want list submissions, which is the third step.

Also, I think there are those who may have tried and not been able to start such a gallery online, and it's no fault of anyone. For example, I prefer geocoincollection's gallery system over the others but they are not accepting new subscribers, according to their online store, so I am not on any system as a result..

Question: I have listed several coins. I see a coin I would like to trade for on someone's list, BUT they do not subscribe to a trading gallery so I have NO IDEA what kinds of coins they collect. Should I contact that person and find out their collecting interests?

There is no need to contact anyone in a math trade.

What is a math trade?

This is a trade between a whole bunch of people at once, using an algorithm to decide who should send their coin to whom. Because of the algorithm used, you can only get a coin you prefer over what you started with. (Or at worst, you may just keep your original coin.)

Sometimes this kind of trade is called a “mathematical no-risk trade list.” This is just a longer name for the same thing.

Why is a math trade worthwhile?

By matching together the likes and dislikes of a lot of people at the same time, many more trades become possible. Say person A wants a 2007 Compass Rose BN, and person B has one which they don’t especially want to keep. B doesn’t want any of A’s coins, but would like a GCF edition v2 Yime. Person C has the Yime for trade, but doesn’t want any of B’s coins. But C would like a Tranquility USA edition, which person A is interested in trading. So although there’s no good trade between two of A, B, and C, the three together can each trade a coin away to get a coin they really want. The math trade algorithm figures out these fortunate coincidences, and assigns trades so that everyone gets coins they want in return for trading away coins they don’t. In the above example you would have these trades:

A sends Tranquility USA to C, and gets 2007 Compass Rose BN from B

B sends 2007 Compass Rose BN to A, and gets GCF edition v2 Yime from C

C sends GCF edition v2 Yime to B, and gets Tranquility USA from A

So you get a circle of trades among the participants.

Like any kind of coin trade, this depends mostly on differing tastes. Each person has different preferences, and it’s quite possible for everyone in a trade to be very happy with the outcome. Because of this, math trades are often a great way to get a hard to find coin, since one person’s old, forgotten coin could be your personal treasure.

Just checked Petes trade list to find THEY ARE ALL IN THE MATH TRADE!!! :wacko: Guess id better slink on in here and join the fun! :blink:

I always sucked at math, but sounds like this time around my homework gets done FOR ME! :yikes:

Email sent- Not sure exactlt how this will work but I have an idea...we'll work it out as we go!

Now LETS TRADE!

Just checked Petes trade list to find THEY ARE ALL IN THE MATH TRADE!!! ;)

You have until Jan. 31st to make me an offer I can't refuse :) After that, who knows where they'll end up ;)

TMA

I know my math trade list is getting smaller and smaller...I have been editing to remove coins instead of adding them because I have had a couple of successful trades recently!

That being said, I am still looking forward to seeing how this works...even with just a handful of coins.

Thanks E&CPlus3 for your hard work so far!

This is a dumb question, but how do I add my trades to the list? I'm clicking on cells and can't get a cursor to come up.

Part of the problem is that because my IP is in Japan, Google thinks I'm Japanese, and labels everything in Japanese, which I can't really read. I may be missing an "edit" link somewhere...

This is a dumb question, but how do I add my trades to the list? I'm clicking on cells and can't get a cursor to come up.

Part of the problem is that because my IP is in Japan, Google thinks I'm Japanese, and labels everything in Japanese, which I can't really read. I may be missing an "edit" link somewhere...

In my experience, I've never had a cursor. I think this is my third time :D I just highlight the open box at the bottom of the list (below Zarya's coins) and start typing. My text will show up when I arrow off that box to the right, to add more text. The file owner (ECPlus3) will sort your coins periodically into alphabetical order by whatever username you put into the first box in each row.

If you see someone in the matrix with you (besides Math Trade 4, that's the admin I think), you can open up the chat window and ask for advice. I'll go watch for you for a bit while I'm packing up coins :D

TMA

In my experience, I've never had a cursor. I think this is my third time :D I just highlight the open box at the bottom of the list (below Zarya's coins) and start typing. My text will show up when I arrow off that box to the right, to add more text. The file owner (ECPlus3) will sort your coins periodically into alphabetical order by whatever username you put into the first box in each row.

If you see someone in the matrix with you (besides Math Trade 4, that's the admin I think), you can open up the chat window and ask for advice. I'll go watch for you for a bit while I'm packing up coins :P

TMA

Hi! I'm at work right now and, due to a comedy of errors (involving a 17-month old, need I say more?) I can't get into my email. So I can't get into the spreadsheet. But no worries, I'll try tonight. And TMA, I will try just typing; that never occured to me. Duh! Thanks very much for the help, both you and E&Cplus3!

Edited to add: I figured out what the problem is -- I'm so dumb! -- I needed to log into Google. Once I logged in, all was right with the world. Though I feel a bit ashamed at my paltry list. If I get any more of my ordered coins in between now and the 31st, I'll enter them in, and I've updated my trade list so that the descriptions of the coins in the math trade link back to this thread.

Thanks so much for the patience and the offers of help -- I appreciate it!

Edited by Jackalgirl

Edited to add: I figured out what the problem is -- I'm so dumb! -- I needed to log into Google. Once I logged in, all was right with the world. Though I feel a bit ashamed at my paltry list. If I get any more of my ordered coins in between now and the 31st, I'll enter them in, and I've updated my trade list so that the descriptions of the coins in the math trade link back to this thread.

Thanks so much for the patience and the offers of help -- I appreciate it!

I'm glad you were able to figure it out -- I saw that you had entered some coins.

You bring up an interesting point though, so I'll address it now:

Q. Can I enter coins that I am expecting, but don't have in my hand yet?

A. Yes, as long as you know that the coins have been shipped!! Just make a note of it on the spreadsheet. Something like, "will have in hand by [date]" or "purchased and will have soon". Just to let potential recipients know that they may have to wait a bit longer to get them.

Here are pictures of some of the geocoins I am offering in the math trade. Some of the finishes may not be exactly the same as in the pictures.

12 Days of Caching 2007 (Double Spinner) - Gold

4947.gif

1967 Mustang Fastback - Black Nickel / Red

4432.gif

Cache Wars (Star Wars Themed Geocoin)

6684.gif

Compass Rose 2007 - LE Satin Gold

2671.gif

Earth Turtle (Version 1) - Shiny Silver

4424.gif

GeoPix 1 (Rainbow Landscape picture) - Black Nickel

6573.gif

GeoWoodstock 5 Sunburst - Chrome

3526.gif

Get Out of Travel Bug Jail Free

2458.gif

Lighthouse Suncatcher - Gold

5883.gif

Nurses Have Heart - Silver / Gold Two-Tone

2587.gif

More pictures of coins I am offering...

OakCoins 2006 Happy Holidays

2290.gif

OshnDoc Antarctica 2007 - Antique Silver

2483.gif

Perfect Caching Weather - Chrome

3668.gif

Scouting / Be Prepared - Gold

2959.gif

Suncatcher 2007 - Gold

4946.gif

Suncatcher 2008 - Gold

6904.gif

Suncatcher 2008 - Silver

6903.gif

Team Sand Dollar Arrowhead 2007 - Satin Silver

3536.gif

Hi everyone,

I read a couple of times of those Math Trades but I do not understand them.

When I list up coins, is it possible to get back what I'd like to trade for?

Or will I get randomly chosen coins?

Hi, Anita --

Oh no, there's no random coin-receiving. What happens is this:

Normally, you'd post your wanted list and your available list. I'd see your available list and say "hey, I want coin x, and I have coin y on Anita's wanted list, yay!" So I'd then email you and we'd do the trade.

What what if we didn't have an even one-for-one I-want-you-want situation going on?

Now, imagine this: you have a coin that I want. I have a coin that The Moop Along wants. He has a coin that you want. I give Moops the coin he wants, but instead of giving me a coin in return, he gives you the coin that you want instead. Then, instead of you giving Moops a coin, you give me the coin that I want. All three of us are now happy.

The function of this software is to handle all of this mathematically. It will try to determine the best "chain" of givers and receivers, so that when all the dust has settled, everyone has the coin he or she wants. I think the worst possible outcome is that the software will make no connection for you at all, in which case you'll just keep your coins.

I hope this makes sense! I had to actually draw it out in order to understand it (because I can't keep this sort of thing straight in my head at all).

Hi Jackalgirl

Thank you so much for your explanations. I guess I got the point so far ;)

I will send the participation mail as soon as I am at home this evening. This sounds great and now it's clear to me why there aren't so many trades anymore. Everybody is waiting for the math trade :P

One last question is remaining: Can I create wish-lists for my offered coins? And worst-case would be that there is no matching trade.

Edited by die_anita

Hi Jackalgirl

I will send the participation mail as soon as I am at home this evening. This sounds great and now it's clear to me why there aren't so many trades anymore. Everybody is waiting for the math trade :P

One last question is remaining: Can I create wish-lists for my offered coins? And worst-case would be that there is no matching trade.

If I'm understanding how it'll work correctly, we have until the 31st to post what we've got available. The next phase (after that) will be to create the list of what we would like. I'm assuming that E&Cplus3 will assign numbers to the individual coins on the lists and then do whatever numerical magic he does to make the "recipe" of who sends what to whom. So, in sort, I don't think you'll create your wish list right away, but that is the next step (after the 31st).

If I have many of the same coin, will there be any way to trade more than one away without pairing them up with other coins to make groups?

Hi dimkasmir,

Sorry, but no. Unless the coins are of different finish, colour, engraving, or something else that makes them distinguishable from one another (other than tracking number or set number), then you can only list one.

Hi Jackalgirl

If I'm understanding how it'll work correctly, we have until the 31st to post what we've got available. The next phase (after that) will be to create the list of what we would like. I'm assuming that E&Cplus3 will assign numbers to the individual coins on the lists and then do whatever numerical magic he does to make the "recipe" of who sends what to whom. So, in sort, I don't think you'll create your wish list right away, but that is the next step (after the 31st).

That is essentially correct, though there is one phase in between. After this phase is over, the re-order, or 'sweetener' phase will begin. Without adding any new coins to your list, you can group some of your entries together to hopefully make an enticing package for that one must-have coin that someone else is offering.

This phase will end on February 4th, or when everyone in the trade tells me they have finished regrouping.

Then the want list phase will begin.