4th International Math Trade

ECplus3

Hi everyone,

It is time for another math trade!

I've created a Google spreadsheet similar to the one used by KDV for the last math trade.

Just send an email to:

mathtrade4@gmail.com

with the following info:

- Caching Name

- Mailing Address

- email

I will give you access to the spreadsheet and you can start adding coins!

The trade will be divided into four phases:

1. Coin submission - entering your trade offers into the spreadsheet (ends Jan 31st, 9pm EST)

2. Regroup - reorganize your coin submissions to create groups (ends Feb 4th, 9pm EST or earlier)

3. Want list submission - create your wish lists! (ends Feb 13th, 9pm EST or earlier)

4. Trading! - trade list generated and emailed to you (starts Feb 15th if all goes well!)

Please respect the following rules:

1. This is an international trade - only take part in it if you are willing to pay for a possible overseas shipment of your coins! Remember that in theory each coin that you trade away may have to be sent to a different destination, within or outside of your own country.

2. You can list both trackable and non-trackable coins. If nothing is mentioned in the Remarks column, the coin will be assumed to be trackable and unactivated. In all other cases the status of the coin needs to be specified in the Remarks column. Activated coins are only allowed if they will be offered up for adoption.

3. Participants may only submit one coin of any one edition (same coin with same finish/colour/etc) to trade. Duplicates are not allowed unless they are offered as a set. You may also offer a coin as part of a set and seperately as well.

eg. You may offer:

2 coin X gold (2 coin set)

coin X gold & coin X silver (2 coin set)

coin X gold (single coin)

Of course this assumes you have all the coins necessary to cover all 3 submissions!

4. Please make sure you adhere to the deadlines shown above! Any edit after a deadline will be ignored!

Keep an eye on this thread - I will use it to post additional information/clarifications whenever needed!

Of course you can also use it to post any questions or remarks.

A big thank you to KDV for running the last math trade. And also to moscow32 for sending me all the info necessary to start up this one!

A More Detailed Explanation:

Q. What is a geocoin math trade? What makes it different from a 'normal' trade?

A. In a ' normal' trade, person A gives coin X to person B and person B give coin Y to person A. Sometimes person A wants a coin that person B has, but has nothing that interests person B to give in return. In that case person A could go looking for a person C to arrange a trade to get a coin from person's B want list. In a math trade you don't have to hunt for a 'person C' -- the software will do this for you! The math trade software will find optimal 'trade chains', some of which may involve just the regular 2 coins, while other 'trade chains' that are part of the same math trade may involve 3, 4, 5 or even more coins.

Q. I feel uncomfortable listing coin offers without knowing what I'll receive in return for them. Why would I do this?

A. You will be the one to decide what you'll get in return. After everyone has listed their coin offers, you can go through the total list of offers and make a want list for every coin you have offered. If you are not interested in trading one of your coins for any of the listed offers, you will simply use an empty want list for it, so that your coin won't be traded at all.

Q. What if someone offers a coin that I REALLY want? Is there a way that I can maybe offer 2 of my coins in exchange for this coveted coin?

A. Yes, there is. After Phase 1 (entering coin offers), we will enter Phase 2 (regrouping). During this phase you have a chance to look closely at the coins that are being offered, and if there are coins you would really want to get, you could try and create a more interesting offer by grouping two or more of your coins into one offer. If you group coin X and Y together, then these will not be traded separately, but as one single unit, for which you can decide (during the want list submission phase) what you want to trade them for.

(Detailed instructions for this regrouping will follow once we hit that phase (but don't worry, it's actually quite simple).

Q. Two or more people have listed one specific coin that I like. But if I include both in my want lists for, say, two of my coins, I risk ending up with 2 copies of the same coin. Is there a way to prevent this?

A. Yes, there is (more verbose answer to follow soon).

I'm in :unsure:

I've never really understood any of the actual "math" or special syntax to refine my coin wants, but I've always been happy with the end result. So I'm looking forward to it again.

Just a word to anyone who's on the fence. It's mentioned above, but if you put a coin into this trade matrix, you DO NOT have to trade it. If you decide later that nothing you see up for trade is worth it, then you can force the coin to remain with you. There is no risk there.

TMA

You should see all the coins, but maybe you're the only one to submit anything yet :unsure: I can't access google docs from my office, so I won't start doing anything for several hours.

TMA

Ah !!! I'm too fast :-)

I'll check the spreadsheet later today...Thank you !!!

I've read the info every time the Math trade has come around and I still can't understand it. But, I said next time I would give it a try...so here goes nothing...

I haven't fully understood it for any of them. This is my third or fourth time, and I'll not be understanding it all again. But it's fun. Lots of coins in, lots of coins out. No complaints.

TMA

email sent!

I have been eagerly awaiting this thread since E&CPlus3 posted in the fall about taking it on. I have read everything over a zillion times and I think I have an idea of how the basics of it works. But looks like a risk-free activity regardless so I am super excited to participate!

I have one question about rule three - I know the answer is pretty detailed but I want to make sure I am clear. I cannot offer two coins that are the same (only different finishes) unless they are offered as a set. Correct? So let's say I had 10 extra Earth Turtles laying around (ya, right)...I can't offer a v.1 green, a v.2 blue and a christmas one -- seperately. But I can put them all in a set and make one offering. Is this right then?

email sent!

I have been eagerly awaiting this thread since E&CPlus3 posted in the fall about taking it on. I have read everything over a zillion times and I think I have an idea of how the basics of it works. But looks like a risk-free activity regardless so I am super excited to participate!

I have one question about rule three - I know the answer is pretty detailed but I want to make sure I am clear. I cannot offer two coins that are the same (only different finishes) unless they are offered as a set. Correct? So let's say I had 10 extra Earth Turtles laying around (ya, right)...I can't offer a v.1 green, a v.2 blue and a christmas one -- seperately. But I can put them all in a set and make one offering. Is this right then?

We had always been able to use different versions of any particular coin, and if I read his syntax right, that will continue. Example:

Good -- Blue Earth Turtle Gold, Blue Earth Turtle Silver, Green Earth Turtle, Purple Earth Turtle

Bad -- Blue Earth Turtle Gold, Blue Earth Turtle Gold, Blue Earth Turtle Gold, Blue Earth Turtle Gold

Good -- (1) Set of 4 Blue Earth Turtle Gold, (1) Set of 4 Green Earth Turtle

Each line of the google doc is a separate "offer" coin or set.

TMA

email sent!

We had always been able to use different versions of any particular coin, and if I read his syntax right, that will continue. Example:

Good -- Blue Earth Turtle Gold, Blue Earth Turtle Silver, Green Earth Turtle, Purple Earth Turtle

Bad -- Blue Earth Turtle Gold, Blue Earth Turtle Gold, Blue Earth Turtle Gold, Blue Earth Turtle Gold

Good -- (1) Set of 4 Blue Earth Turtle Gold, (1) Set of 4 Green Earth Turtle

Each line of the google doc is a separate "offer" coin or set.

TMA

Correct, each line in the spreadsheet is a different offer. One participant can't have two identical offers in their list. You could offer all the jellybeans or nerds you wanted, as long as each offer had something different about it: finish, enamels, engraved names, etc.

If you absolutely want to trade two of the same thing, list one on its own, and combine the second one with something else to make a set.

Hope I made things clearer, rather than murkier! :yikes:

I had another question:

Q. Will our addresses be visible to all participants or just to those we will trade with?

A. I will not be making your mailing address visible to anyone until the final phase, and then only to the people who owe you a coin. I will not be making your email address available to anyone at all. I merely need them to invite you to the spreadsheet.

This sounds like fun! One question, if after all the calculations it turns out that to get some relatively not valuable coin from my want list I would need to trade a way a rare coin from my offers, would I be able to deny the trade?

When we get to Phase 3 and everybody starts to create their want lists, you determine what each of your coins can be traded for. It will look something like this:

(dimkasmir) 200 : 316 424 800 100 5 6 500

In this example, 200 is your coin, and everything after the colon is the list of coins you feel would be a good trade, in descending order. The list can be as long as you want. If the algorithm can't accomodate your want list, then that coin won't trade.

If after you have submitted your coins you don't see any other coin that you feel is a worthy trade, just leave the wish list for that coin blank and it will not trade.

So there is really no risk of getting a bad trade!

I will explain the want lists in more detail when we get to Phase 3.

This sounds like fun! One question, if after all the calculations it turns out that to get some relatively not valuable coin from my want list I would need to trade a way a rare coin from my offers, would I be able to deny the trade?

A shorter reply (not that the previous one was shabby :yikes: ) is that you choose a specific list of coins that you would trade your "valuable" or "rare" coin for, and if you don't get one off your list, you keep the rare coin.

For that matter, it works for any coin in your list. You choose what coins you would be willing to receive in trade for it. If you don't get one of those, you get none and keep your coin.

TMA

So do I just go ahead and add coins to the spreadsheet and does it matter if others are in there at the same time? I noticed someone else was adding coins as I was going to try. I wasn't sure if I would end up messing things up so I didn't even try.

from the Google Docs help page:

Spreadsheets:

If multiple people are editing or viewing the same spreadsheet at the same time, the Discuss tab will open and you will see the names of those people listed. From here, you can chat with these people about changes being made to the spreadsheet, or anything else you'd like.

A total of 50 people can edit a spreadsheet simultaneously. You can share a spreadsheet with 200 collaborators and/or viewers.

So, you should be safe. :yikes: The row that someone is working on should be highlighted, so just go to the next blank row to start adding your own coins.

Ok, I sent my info. I have absolutely no clue what to do though. I just have hundreds of coins and would love to move a lot of them.

If you just want to move them, I can send you my address! :ph34r:

Sure, just let me know what I can get in return :lol:

I'm out for the day. Will try to figure it out when I get back. I pulled about 40 coins for this thing.

I have a question: I have several AE-Cache Rash coins available. Do I list them all as separate entries? Or am I only allowed to list one?

Every entry submitted by a participant must be unique. You could only list more than one AE Cache Rash coin if you paired some of them up with other coins.

eg.

(surteb) AE Cache Rash geocoin

(surteb) AE Cache Rash geocoin and ABC geocoin

(surteb) AE Cache Rash geocoin and XYZ geocoin

etc.