What is your most valuable, or favorite Geocache Gadget ?

yawppy

The other day I came across a topic on the forum titled "whats in your bag?"

,sure many have gazed at it, I still have to find a way to post my pics, (Relativly new to the forums), and it is an interesting read, just to see if I am as bad as the next cacher, in terms of collecting Caching gadgetry.

Before I got Geo-hooked, I was pretty well fine with my PC, PSP, TV, and the couch. I had a reg cell, no fancy internet, and a Nuvi 200, just to get around with.

My basement, and the workbench down there was pretty much foreign territory to me, dreaded going there because it meant work, fixxing up something broken around the house.

That was my life prior to July 08. Then one day the TV explained this Geocaching to me, wow. I at one time went out camping, and hiking, biked alot. When I lived in HI, used to snorkel, found all the tourists lost treasures, loved doing that. So this sounded interesting to me and off I went.

K... So the other day when I came across the post, I was like ok.. lets take a look and inventory my caching gear, and all caching related gear.

I dumped and gathered al caching gear from the car..cachemobile, and was quite amazed. If I could, should say when I figure out how to post pics I will, Would be a lot easier!

The reason for this post is to see what kinda gadgets you have , ones you probably would not have if it wer not for caching, whats the craziest, whats the best, whats the worst of the caching gadget, or equipment?

I now have

2 digital cameras,

Had my original. Working just fine, so why do I need another. Well need one that is waterproof, dust proof, and shock proof, Right? Besides a back-up is always nice.

2 psp's

Used to be my Ipod for on the trail, and one was for my early attempt to be paperless, Did a screen capture, and placed the JPG's on the PSP, But was to big, or to small, time consuming etc, (much to complicated tho!)

that is where the CO 400t comes in.

3 GPS'rs,

Originnally was using the Garmin Nuvi 200, Decided I needed a more outdoor style GPS'r, and got the Garmin CO 400t, and then heard that Garmin came out with an internet GPS'r had to get it, got to the store and got the Garmin220w.. ni internet monthly premium.

Mini-Laptop

Another gadget, probably did not need. Went out anyways and got a mini laptop, and it works, but stays in the cache mobile, and of course need to seek out WIFI.

NVG's, ....

OK probably on of my craziest gadgets yet. Heard of the cyclops NVG's. Decided to give them a tril run, and return later. Or keep if they worked out. Well being a toy, first nigh out and they are beat up. Good news is they work, but stand really still. But do help a bit for night caching, at least till I can afford the military spec NVG's.

Iphone

This is a story in itself. Still need the GPS'r, but it is nice. PQ's not as important anymore, 10 bucks and you can run as many pq's as needed, plus it finds your location. Pretty slick in my book. Just can not wait to field test this gadget. (Weather usually not a factor love snow, hate Snow-Rain-freezinfrain-Ice-and-slush-sleet, not so fun.

K that is my list of gadgets, well the electronical ones, Sure there is many more gadget style items in the cachepack, but that will have to wait to see what happens this year. Oh and the workbench and basement , have become my most favorite spot in the house!, a bit crowded with all the "intended" cache containers, and crafting projects!

K.. Happy Caching!

I am very new to this hobby. At first I just got a Etrex Vista HCx. Then I realized that I needed a routing GPS to get me to the site, so I had to get a Nuvi 205. After hearing about going paperless, I quickly aquired a PocketPC. Realizing that the battery life wouldn't cut it, I got a Palm Tungsten. Then I got an ipod and of course had to get the geocaching application. Please bear in mind that i've only found THREE caches and i've only spent a few hours actually out in the field! I think I read too many posts on here and it just keeps me buying more and more! lol

PS - I also just got an eeepc for caching too. LOL

Edited by Redhat78

I am very new to this hobby. At first I just got a Etrex Vista HCx. Then I realized that I needed a routing GPS to get me to the site, so I had to get a Nuvi 205. After hearing about going paperless, I quickly aquired a PocketPC. Realizing that the battery life wouldn't cut it, I got a Palm Tungsten. Then I got an ipod and of course had to get the geocaching application. Please bear in mind that i've only found THREE caches and i've only spent a few hours actually out in the field! I think I read too many posts on here and it just keeps me buying more and more! lol

Did you know that you can load the Garmin North America street maps to the Vista HCx which will give you turn-by-turn directions? That's how I use mine.

I have the eeepc also, let me know of any new tricks, I was at a caching event, som1 had a gps thing hooked up, still have not figured it out.

The Garmin CO or Oregon work fine for paperless caching.

Happy Caching

I have the eeepc also, let me know of any new tricks, I was at a caching event, som1 had a gps thing hooked up, still have not figured it out.

The Garmin CO or Oregon work fine for paperless caching.

Happy Caching

Ooh, I hadn't seen the eeepc before. I've seen several 7-9" screen computers categories as UMPCs (Ultra Mobile PC) that I've considered for geocaching but not that one. I've loaded the Garmin nRoute product (free) onto my laptop with the Topo 2008 for a base map and connected my GPS to it for navigating to caches. That might work for the eeepc too.

Other gadgets that I use...

a small flashlight

a leatherman tool

a retractable inspection mirror

All have come in real handy for finding caches which can't be seen easily and retrieving small caches or or logs from tight spaces.

We have a big overnighter packing canoe, bought kayaks largely because of needing them for geocaching. They were on the wish and want list anyway; but once we started needing them, they moved up on the buy list real fast. Other needs that resulted in new purchases were upgraded off-road bikes and a bunch o' packs and bags of various kinds.

I don't consider the assorted gadgetry purchases as special to geocaching. The other half of this geo-team resides in Gadget Central; if we weren't buying gps, pda, laptops, etc for caching, we'd be buying some other gadgets for some other hobby.

As soon as I activate the tag, my most expensive geocaching gadget will be a travel bug. :unsure: Got one of those big magnetic TBs for Christmas, and it's going on the car.

Aside from that, my most expensive caching gear would have to be my Oregon. My current favorite "other" gadget would have to be my new Space Pen, complete with my signature green ink. It just arrived yesterday, a "late" Christmas present. To answer the rest of the OP:

The reason for this post is to see what kinda gadgets you have , ones you probably would not have if it wer not for caching, whats the craziest, whats the best, whats the worst of the caching gadget, or equipment?
My Craziest: My wife would say "All of it." :unsure: I'm going to have to go with another of my recent acquisitions, a ring to mount a MiniMag to my hiking stick. In addition to my headlamp, I hope it will be helpful in night caching. If not that, then perhaps the cane holder I've got on my hiking stick, I use it to hang the stick in a nearby tree if I need my hands.

bpmlc_d.jpg0-0-0.jpg

My Best: I'm going to have to go back to my Oregon. It replaced the need to carry a GPS and a PDA and does other cool stuff like Wherigo.

My Worst: Hrm... I'm going to have to go with an item I carry, but never want to use: My 1st Aid Kit.

I am very new to this hobby. At first I just got a Etrex Vista HCx. Then I realized that I needed a routing GPS to get me to the site, so I had to get a Nuvi 205....
Did you know that you can load the Garmin North America street maps to the Vista HCx which will give you turn-by-turn directions? That's how I use mine.
If one is considering going this route, they should add up the costs. If you get the Maps for the GPS and the mounting bracket & power cord, that all retails for upward of $150. You can pick up a Nuvi for less than that and then have a unit dedicated to the car, and one for the hand. It's much more convenient, and cheaper, too!

I'm a frugal person by nature, but when it was time to get a new cell phone, I upgraded from a very basic one to a Palm Centro, specifically to use it for geocaching. I pay extra for mobile internet on it too, just in case I have to look something up. It's become invaluable to me now. If I forget it, I feel like I'm missing a limb or something.

I'm also looking into buying a small inflatable boat to find and hide caches on the lakes near my house. I'm in the process of selling the idea to my husband. He can use it for fishing and playing with the kids too, right? :unsure:

... The reason for this post is to see what kinda gadgets you have , ones you probably would not have if it wer not for caching, whats the craziest, whats the best, whats the worst of the caching gadget, or equipment?[/b]
Jeep Grand Cherokee. Edited by sbell111

Most expensive toy: I bought my Nissan Pathfinder specifically because of geocaching. For my first six months, all my finds were done with a sports car. This was back in 2002 when you had to drive on dirt roads to get to your nearest unfound caches. Log for first Offroad Find

Favorite toy: Without a doubt, my Garmin 60CSX. The best overall GPS for geocaching I've ever seen. With a connection to a laptop for voice-announced turn by turn directions via Garmin nRoute, who needs a car-only GPS? I've considered upgrading to an Oregon "just because," but I really can't justify the expense.

Newest toy: An iPhone, to add convenience and spontaneity and connectivity to my geocaching experience.

Our gadget this year was to add to the versatility of cachemobile 1(Jeep Grand Cherokee)is cachemobile 2 (a Chevy Astro Van All wheel drive) Since we enjoy cahing so much we needed a bigger mobile for longer trips to the finds, but wanted the all wheel drive if needed. Not a real 4x4, but in a pinch...it'll work.

So other than a batman utility belt full of tools, first aid kit, adn Garmin 60Cand Nuvi 680, and a laptop for Wifi, we don't have too much invested...lol

Most used? The aluminum cane. Adjustable length. Holds blackberry bushes and other undesirables out of the way, pokes into wet undergrowth, removes spiderwebs and spiders, fends off snakes, the hooked end retrieves caches in the bushes, 'clanks' when it hits an ammo box under a moss blanket, absolutely required when getting up and down some of the hills here, double-sided tape on the hook retrieves film cans from sign posts, magnet on the foot retrieves caches inside pipes...

Oh, and it helps you walk upright while you are trudging along with the other 30 pounds of stuff you never use.

I'd say this would be my Favorite, and most expensive, Geocaching tool:

escapeqa4.jpg

'01 Ford Escape 4x4 (I admit it's not solely for caching, but it carry's my Username on the front, and Geocaching license frame on the back. I have a feeling it will become a TB sometime in the near future as well.)

My Lowrance Expedition C GPS & RAM suction mount for above vehicle was pretty much a Geocaching only buy, however I use it for other tasks.

The reason for this post is to see what kinda gadgets you have , ones you probably would not have if it were not for caching, whats the craziest, whats the best, whats the worst of the caching gadget, or equipment?

Caching Only gadget is PocketPC with built in GPSr for Wherigo caches. One month old. Prior to that bought Palm M515 for Waymarking and paperless caching. Palm now running Novii Remote used exclusively to control TV/DTV/sounds.

Craziest caching thing are friends who don't understand that a christening/birthday/wedding/family-get-together miles away are all caching opportunities in new territories.

Worst caching gadget is a computer printer that uses paper. Paper is pants. Paperless is powerful.

Second most useless gadget is a PocketPC. 1) because of M$ Active Sunc is so flaky. 2) Nearest Wherigo cache is 65 miles away. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/style_ima...icons/icon7.gif

Best is premium membership. Opens up caching to a whole new level of involvement. Without that all gadgets are under utilised. Second best is trustworthy etrex. Works every time. Reliable. All you need apart from a pencil for micros.

The reason for this post is to see what kinda gadgets you have , ones you probably would not have if it were not for caching, whats the craziest, whats the best, whats the worst of the caching gadget, or equipment?

Caching Only gadget is PocketPC with built in GPSr for Wherigo caches. One month old. Prior to that bought Palm M515 for Waymarking and paperless caching. Palm now running Novii Remote used exclusively to control TV/DTV/sounds.

Craziest caching thing are friends who don't understand that a christening/birthday/wedding/family-get-together miles away are all caching opportunities in new territories.

Worst caching gadget is a computer printer that uses paper. Paper is pants. Paperless is powerful.

Second most useless gadget is a PocketPC. 1) because of M$ Active Sunc is so flaky. 2) Nearest Wherigo cache is 65 miles away. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/style_ima...icons/icon7.gif

Best is premium membership. Opens up caching to a whole new level of involvement. Without that all gadgets are under utilised. Second best is trustworthy etrex. Works every time. Reliable. All you need apart from a pencil for micros.