Geocaching with HTC Titan / Mogul / XV6800 / 6800 / Tytn

martygng

So I'm fairly new to geocaching, and have been using a Garmin eTrex HCx so far. I just picked up a used HTC XV6800 on Verizon (with NO data plan), and was wondering if I can get away with selling the eTrex. With software such as BeelineGPS, do you guys find that the phone and a premium membership here is the only thing you need?

Does anyone here use this model phone for Geocaching? How has it been for you? I'm eagerly awaiting spring so I can test this thing out!

Thanks!

i have been using an HTC Kaiser which presume will have a very similar, if not the same GPS receiver. I have found it to be accurate enough to find caches - admittiedly only 12 so far! only started at the end of december tho!.

my biggest issue with it is that if you move too slowly you loose gps lock. and have to do the quick step for a few yards to get it back.

i have ordered a bluetooth GPS and am going to use my old HTC Tytn so my new kaiser doesn't get damaged.

I tried my Mogul side by side with my Garmin 60csx. The mogul got me close enough for caching, but not as accurate as the Garmin. Example: the Mogul said I was within 3-4yards of the cache and the 60csx said about 4 ft.

So again, close enough that if you look up and start looking for the cache, it would probably work.

Beeline is nice software, so is GeoScout. I tried one other that I can't remember the name of offhand, but it was close to Beeline.

I tried my Mogul side by side with my Garmin 60csx. The mogul got me close enough for caching, but not as accurate as the Garmin. Example: the Mogul said I was within 3-4yards of the cache and the 60csx said about 4 ft.

So again, close enough that if you look up and start looking for the cache, it would probably work.

Beeline is nice software, so is GeoScout. I tried one other that I can't remember the name of offhand, but it was close to Beeline.

For more information about GeoScout please see www.navstation.co.uk/geoscout.