Traveling and wanting to geocache

ChiasPet

I wanted to know if anyone knows how to plan some geocaching while planning a road trip. We are in Jacksonville, Fl. and are going to Orlando this weekend and are not sure how the best way to find caches along or near the interstate. I did a zip code search for Daytona and Orlando and was confused by the sheer amount of zip codes. Is there a way to search just along an interstate??

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Chia's Pets Geocaching Team :unsure:

A pocket query is definitely the way to go. That's exactly what I did when I cached from Ocala to Jacksonville. :unsure: I'll also be in Orlando this weekend. Friends are running the Disney Marathon so we'll be watching them. I plan on finding a few caches with the kids while we're there.

Looking on my map software it looks like about a 130 mile trip, a Pocket query will not work, the area is to large and a pocket query would not be effective. Look in the build pocker queries section, this area includes

the cache along a route feature. My guess is that there is a public cache along a route search already in there. One thing you should keep in mind when caching along a route, it will add to your travel time. I just used the feature a few days agos, it took me 4 hours to travel about 60 miles. If your route is 130 mile you might have to figure about 9 hours driving.

Looking on my map software it looks like about a 130 mile trip, a Pocket query will not work, the area is to large and a pocket query would not be effective. Look in the build pocker queries section, this area includes

the cache along a route feature. My guess is that there is a public cache along a route search already in there. One thing you should keep in mind when caching along a route, it will add to your travel time. I just used the feature a few days agos, it took me 4 hours to travel about 60 miles. If your route is 130 mile you might have to figure about 9 hours driving.

Oh yeah, that's what I did. Cache Along a Route. After I ran it I make a special note of the ones I thought that I'd really want to try for. I didn't want to hunt long and hard for something. I wanted them to be quick and easy finds.

What I do is set up a PQ for the caches along a route and a bookmark for caches I want to do. I never run the PQ along the route, but preview it only. I then bookmark those caches I want to do and run a PQ on that bookmark. That way I only get the caches I want to do along that route. I might add that I do not make that bookmark public as it is only meant for caches that I want to do. On some routes that I travel often, I have a public bookmark showing my favorites along the route. Others have done the same and it might be worthwhile looking at bookmarks for caches you see on the route PQ.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! This will be our first caching road trip and I am excited to hunt somewhere other than home.

You guys are the best!!

Chia's Pet Geocaching Team :yikes::(:(

An alternative using caches along a route is to just use the geocaching maps page and scroll along the route you'll take to/from your destination. You might consider taking a smaller road rather than an interstate, especially if the interstate is a toll road.

Start by select a cache near your home then click on the map (the one lower on the page) to bring up the geocaching maps page. Then pan along the route you'll take and select any caches along the route that look interesting. Add them as as a bookmark the you can produce a pocket query from the bookmarks. Create a second Pocket Query of the area where you'll be staying in Orlando, merge them together then download the waypoints to your GPS.

Look over the cache page listings and you may want to filter out puzzle caches and/or multi caches, and caches with high difficulty levels. Check for caches which are themed based so you can bring along appropriate swag to trade.