Moving caches

repsman42

I am a fulltime RVer. We spend a few months in one spot than move on. Since we have been in the area we currently are in, i place two caches. We are now getting ready to move on to another area. What is the proper procedure with respect to the caches in this area? Do i remove them and if so how do i "record" on the geocaching site? If not, then what?

Thanks for help

Al

You have a few options.

• You can archive the listings and go remove the containers
  • You can put the caches up for adoption to a cacher that stays local (you lose ownership)
  • You can just leave them in place as your own but find a reliable local to help you out with maintenance

The advantage of option 1 above would be that you'd now have two caches ready and waiting to be placed in a new location! :unsure:

You have a few options.

• You can put the caches up for adoption to a cacher that stays local (you lose ownership)
  • You can just leave them in place as your own but find a reliable local to help you out with maintenance

The advantage of option 1 above would be that you'd now have two caches ready and waiting to be placed in a new location! :unsure:

The advantage of option 2 above is the locals that haven't found it and others traveling to the area would still have it there to find.

That is also an advantage for option 3 but if you do that remember you are ultimately responsible for its maintenance. If the other person decides they don't want to maintain it any more, you will need to find another person to handle the problems.

-edited for spelling-

Edited by DiamondDaveG

You have a few options.

The disadvantage is if the reviewers see a habit of this, they might point out the Cache Permanence section of the guidelines and you could have difficulty placing new caches.

This seem like a perfectly good reason to let CO's have a mobile cache.

I would:

1. Archive them.
  2. Attach travelertags to them.
  3. Put instructions on how to log an archived cache inside.
  4. Reference the travelertag id numbers on the cache pages.
  5. Reference the cache id on the travelertag pages.
  6. Put instructions on both pages and in the cache that it is only to be moved by you.
  7. Make Sig cards that also have the cache name & id, travelertag link and a spot for you to write in the last day it will be available locally.
  8. Make tear off pads with the local coords and glue them to the back of the sig cards.
  9. Put page links on your profile.
  10. Hope the powers don't lock or outright delete your listing.

You now have a Moving Geocache. Granted the find rate wont be so high but you don't have to create new caches and archive them every few months or worry about taking space from local cachers and or getting them to maintain them.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

Generally there are other cachers who adopt caches, and they can often be found at events. Personally I would recommend that, unless it is a popular cache/very unique, I would suggest archiving the cache and removing the container so someone else can place a new cache for others to find.

The only problem with adopting caches is that the more people find it, the less people there will be to find it in the future. Ie: Caches that have been around for a couple of years, but haven't been found for a while, have a tendency to just sit there and prohibit other cachers from placing new caches for others to find.

If you know a local that you trust to adopt them, great. If not, I say just archive them and move on. Honestly though, since you're a full time RV'er, I'd avoid hiding caches in places that you only intend on staying for a few months because this problem will arise each time you move. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

The advantage of option 2 above is the locals that haven't found it and others traveling to the area would still have it there to find.

Aah, but the advantage to the locals of option 1 is that you've now freed up some real estate for THEM to place a hide there! :unsure:

You have trouble finding places to hide caches???? I find this surprising. There is so much empty land out there. Only a mile or so from the road. Beautiful parks. Lots of open space...

Aah, but the advantage to the locals of option 1 is that you've now freed up some real estate for THEM to place a hide there! :unsure:

You have trouble finding places to hide caches???? I find this surprising. There is so much empty land out there. Only a mile or so from the road. Beautiful parks. Lots of open space...

I was making a general statement but, having now looked to see where the OP's caches are based (New Braunfels, TX), and having even performed a Google Map search of the area, I'll agree that there should be no shortage of space to hide a cache out there! :unsure: