Bushnell Onix

CaptainXJ

I have an Onix 400. The only problem I have with it is related to LOC downloads. The Waypoint format is signed Int LAT small int ALT signed Int LONG. I can not find any software that can read a LOC (xml ish) and convert it. For whatever reason GEOCACHE.com only supports GARMIN as a direct download. It would be nice if you could choose your GPS type in your profile and download to it. I'm sure the hardware vendors would have no issue supplying the format.

As far as a good GPS go. It is good. I do some extreem ATV / camping and it is nice to have the XM weather. GPS does offer models that have the same functions but for double the price. The only issue I did have was when I did a firmware upgrade. It went South on me. I called the help desk, sent it in and it was replaced with a brand new one NIB. No questions ask. The hardware is good but the PC software is poor. I guess the answer is it depends. If all you are going to do is GeoCache. I would stick with a 120$ Garmin.

Good Luck,

Rick

I have an Onix 400. The only problem I have with it is related to LOC downloads. The Waypoint format is signed Int LAT small int ALT signed Int LONG. I can not find any software that can read a LOC (xml ish) and convert it. For whatever reason GEOCACHE.com only supports GARMIN as a direct download. It would be nice if you could choose your GPS type in your profile and download to it. I'm sure the hardware vendors would have no issue supplying the format.

As far as a good GPS go. It is good. I do some extreem ATV / camping and it is nice to have the XM weather. GPS does offer models that have the same functions but for double the price. The only issue I did have was when I did a firmware upgrade. It went South on me. I called the help desk, sent it in and it was replaced with a brand new one NIB. No questions ask. The hardware is good but the PC software is poor. I guess the answer is it depends. If all you are going to do is GeoCache. I would stick with a 120$ Garmin.

Good Luck,

Rick

It's not that GC doesn't support it, the GPS vendor must support GC API. DeLorme is doing that for their PNs.

I opened a case with Bushnell to see if they could look into a product enhancement to do this. I have no leverage outside of being a customer but I will update this thread with the info I get back from them.

Rick

Being that it's been almost a year sice you made the post, I guess you never heard back from Bushnell?

Bumping a many-month old thread that doesn't end in an open question is odd.

There were lots of threads about the Onix family over the holidays when w00t was having their fire sales. A number of people bought them and opinions of the unit ran pretty low. I added support for them in GPSBabel at the time making them way more useful to cachers.