Abundant Cache containers?

Coyote's Girl

My husband is on alot of mecications, consequently we have ALOT of pill bottles sitting around. Big ones, little ones, medium size ones; all collecting dust in our bathroom. I'm loathe to just throw them out, and he keeps them for storing candy in. I won't get into the problems with a diabetic keeping candy in old pill bottles. Anyhoo... Could I wash these and use them as a cache container? I think I'm finally ready to place one and I'm looking into an inexpensive water-resistant container and if I can get one free, all the better.

My experience is that Pill containers are rarely very water resistant.

Try this as an experiment: Place a klennex in one of the bottles - put the lid on and then go place it in your sink on its side. Turn on the faucet to no more than a rapid drip onto the bottles' side for 10 to 15 mintues. Virtually gaurantee you that the klennex will be somewhere between damp and soaked.

My experience is that Pill containers are rarely very water resistant.

Try this as an experiment: Place a klennex in one of the bottles - put the lid on and then go place it in your sink on its side. Turn on the faucet to no more than a rapid drip onto the bottles' side for 10 to 15 mintues. Virtually gaurantee you that the klennex will be somewhere between damp and soaked.

I would mostly agree, but I have found one exception to this rule, and that's the bottles that diabetes test strips come in. They appear to be reasonably water-resistant. I've had one cache in the wild, in the elements, that uses a diabetes test strip bottle for a container. It's been in the rain and snow since April 2007, and the contents are still nice and dry.

--Larry

Prescription pill bottles are not so waterproof, but many OTC pill bottles will work well. I have used Maalox pill bottle with a screw on lid and it works fine. Another bottle I used was the bottle that my swimming pool test strips came in. Worked great. Added bonus is that these actually will take small coins (not necessarily geocoins) and other very small trinkets.

Prescription pill bottles are not so waterproof, but many OTC pill bottles will work well. I have used Maalox pill bottle with a screw on lid and it works fine. Another bottle I used was the bottle that my swimming pool test strips came in. Worked great. Added bonus is that these actually will take small coins (not necessarily geocoins) and other very small trinkets.

On thing that drives me crazy is the "ship in a bottle" problem. This is when the neck of the container is smaller then the container itself. That describes a large amount of prescription and OTC bottles. Finders stuff things in there that expand back to their natural size and then you can't get anything out of them.

My husband is on alot of mecications, consequently we have ALOT of pill bottles sitting around. Big ones, little ones, medium size ones; all collecting dust in our bathroom. I'm loathe to just throw them out, and he keeps them for storing candy in. I won't get into the problems with a diabetic keeping candy in old pill bottles. Anyhoo... Could I wash these and use them as a cache container? I think I'm finally ready to place one and I'm looking into an inexpensive water-resistant container and if I can get one free, all the better.

If you don't want to throw the pill bottles out we give my husbands to the homeless shelter as they dispence everything in them toothpaste to matches. Also some churches collect them for missions to use for meds.

If you are going to use old Rx bottles please sanitize them first. Some of them have residuals left in them that if exposed to the skin could cause a reaction to some people. Most people don't read the warnings that come with the Rx in the first place. You would be surprised what you might read.