New UK Number 1.

stevo185

Well done solly! It was a pleasure to be with you at Turtle's Trail - TT13 when you edged ahead of Stevo185. Here's a suitable photo which I took on location:

2b00403e-cb56-4bae-a6d4-0b57b7faf780.jpg

With well over a hundred hidden, and a whole lot of 'solly torches' left, it's good to see you putting back into the sport, as well as taking a UK-leading amount out of it! Nice that Stevo185 acknowledged your mighty effort with this thread too. Good times :unsure:

Congrats Alan - and still writing entertaining logs! :blink:

Anyone who can tie a "bowline-on-a-bight" while under stress deserves the number one slot at something...

Baz.

If I hadn't, I'd still be down there. It's not like I had to do it in a hurry, I had all the time in the world, stuck down there with no way out.

Congrats Alan - and still writing entertaining logs! :ph34r:

Anyone who can tie a "bowline-on-a-bight" while under stress deserves the number one slot at something...

Baz.

If I hadn't, I'd still be down there. It's not like I had to do it in a hurry, I had all the time in the world, stuck down there with no way out.

Well Done Drdolly.

But trapped in a 2.5 terain? good memory of knots saves the day.

Congrats Alan - and still writing entertaining logs! :ph34r:

Baz.

Well Done Drdolly.

But trapped in a 2.5 terain? good memory of knots saves the day.

I think it's a bit like Pooh got trapped in Rabbit's house. If I were nimbler, or lighter, or younger, I'd probably have just bounced out. As it was, my efforts to get out strained my tummy muscles a bit, and they hurt for a couple of days after, and there was no way I'd have been able to get out without some sort of help. Fortunately, the rope was just the job. I pretty much always carry my rope!

New number 1? And i thought itsnotaboutthenumbers... :D

:laughing:

:D

Congratulations drsolly, well done for UK Number One! Now off to get those 6 Germans that are still ahead...

Btw how many of these keyring led torches did you place in the 6752 caches you've found until today? One each? :laughing:

No, because I didn't start placing torches until a year or so ago (and some caches are too small even for the torches), so it's only about 4000.

It's not about the numbers. It's about getting out in the open and walking round a forest on a lovely day, it's about getting stuck in a hole and having to wirk out a way to get out, it's about finding yourself on the tag end of a British Army training exercise in the middle of a forest and following the last soldier in the file, it's about solving a horribly difficult puzzle and finding the reward, it's about pushing yourself to do more than you thought you could, it's about losing weight that I don't need around my middle, it's about getting scratched and torn on brambles and gorse, it's about finding an amazing place that you would never have thought existed, it's about finding a cache disguised as something you wouldn't look at twice, it's about getting soaking wet and exhausted but still going on, it's about creeping through a wood at night following a trail of fire tacks, it's about getting down on the bank of a river and under a bridge and keeping perfectly quiet while a troop of muggles walks by overhead, it's about biking in Richmond Park at night and seeing several hundred deer, it's about finding a ridiculously small container in a crevice that you barely know is there, it's about getting back to the car and having hot coffee and a bun, it's about climbing a tree when you're of an age that you shouldn't be climbing trees, it's about devising a piece of Special Equipment that lets you retrieve a cache from a ridiculous place, it's about carrying a ladder through a forest so that you can get up an unclimbable (by me) tree, it's about getting half of the information you need to find a cache, but finding it anyway by using some good guessing and "cacher's eye", it's about finding a cache that you weren't actually looking for because you spotted something that looked like a hide, it's about getting a puzzle completely wrong, going to the wrong bridge, and finding a cache under it anyway, but not the one you were looking for, it's about gradually teasing out the solution to a puzzle without really understanding what the puzzle is about, it's about having "one more look before I gove up" and spotting something "not quite right".

But I'm sure you already knew that.

It's not about the numbers. It's about getting out in the open and walking round a forest on a lovely day, it's about getting stuck in a hole and having to wirk out a way to get out, it's about finding yourself on the tag end of a British Army training exercise in the middle of a forest and following the last soldier in the file, it's about solving a horribly difficult puzzle and finding the reward, it's about pushing yourself to do more than you thought you could, it's about losing weight that I don't need around my middle, it's about getting scratched and torn on brambles and gorse, it's about finding an amazing place that you would never have thought existed, it's about finding a cache disguised as something you wouldn't look at twice, it's about getting soaking wet and exhausted but still going on, it's about creeping through a wood at night following a trail of fire tacks, it's about getting down on the bank of a river and under a bridge and keeping perfectly quiet while a troop of muggles walks by overhead, it's about biking in Richmond Park at night and seeing several hundred deer, it's about finding a ridiculously small container in a crevice that you barely know is there, it's about getting back to the car and having hot coffee and a bun, it's about climbing a tree when you're of an age that you shouldn't be climbing trees, it's about devising a piece of Special Equipment that lets you retrieve a cache from a ridiculous place, it's about carrying a ladder through a forest so that you can get up an unclimbable (by me) tree, it's about getting half of the information you need to find a cache, but finding it anyway by using some good guessing and "cacher's eye", it's about finding a cache that you weren't actually looking for because you spotted something that looked like a hide, it's about getting a puzzle completely wrong, going to the wrong bridge, and finding a cache under it anyway, but not the one you were looking for, it's about gradually teasing out the solution to a puzzle without really understanding what the puzzle is about, it's about having "one more look before I gove up" and spotting something "not quite right".

But I'm sure you already knew that.

WOW! :D:laughing: That sums it up perfectly.

It also reminded me of the old Pepsi advert:

lipsmackingthirstquenching

acetastingmotivating

goodbuzzingcooltalking

highwalkingfastliving

evergivingcoolfizzing.......

Now to get the T-Shirt made up for the geocaching version... :D

Well said drsolly

Great Post!!!

I have actually met Alan (DrSolly) but think he was going out the door to do another quick 30 caches :D:laughing:

I tried to do the CH100 Series yesterday, but the weather was wet, well wet, well very wet have to say it WAS WET :laughing:

But, the mud was muddy, well very muddy, have to say VERY MUDDY, when I got to the point to find a cow, yes cow, stuck in the mud, I thought "What am I doing here"

I'm looking for a 300ml tubberware box in a field with cows, which are stuck in the mud!!!! CACHING LOVE IT :P

Comments on caching are "spot on".

Cheers

Nick

Great Post!!!

I have actually met Alan (DrSolly) but think he was going out the door to do another quick 30 caches :):)

I tried to do the CH100 Series yesterday, but the weather was wet, well wet, well very wet have to say it WAS WET :)

But, the mud was muddy, well very muddy, have to say VERY MUDDY, when I got to the point to find a cow, yes cow, stuck in the mud, I thought "What am I doing here"

I'm looking for a 300ml tubberware box in a field with cows, which are stuck in the mud!!!! CACHING LOVE IT ;)

Comments on caching are "spot on".

Cheers

Nick

Yes, but cows have pointy feet, as distinct from our flattish feet, so one would expect them to get stuck in the mud more often, despite the fact that they have 4WD.

I'm glad you enjoyed the wetness and mud. I'll pop out tomorrow and put down some more.

It was my pleasure and privilege to be with solly when he found his 7000th and my displeasure and whatever the opposite of privilege is to see the congrats thread had been closed. Boo and indeed hiss. Shame shame and thrice shame (etc)

Well bloomin' done Alan! He's only 1000 or so behind the highest rated cachers in Europe (a gaggle of Germans, I believe) and seems to have a much higher 'work rate' - Will he be the first European to 10k, one has to wonder. I'll be posting a picture of his 7k celebration later (if that's still allowed?)

Disappointed of Buckinghamshire

Congrats DrSolly.

And by way of adding a little pedantry....

Adj. 1. momentous - of very great significance;

significant, important - important in effect or meaning; "a significant change in tax laws"; "a significant change in the Constitution"; "a significant contribution"; "significant details"; "statistically significant"

monumentus Word not found in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia

:):laughing::laughing:

Or perhaps it was just your phrasing - this threads been open on the main forum since last year - and appears to still be active...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...congratulations #

despite sharing at least one mod with this forum..... [:laughing:]

Edited by keehotee

Thanks to everyone for the congrats on the news, and thanks to all the cache setters who made it possible, to ladysolly who has accompanied me on many of them, to Paul who did the bending yesterday (my back is currently a little fragile) although fortunately number 7000 didn't require bending down, and most of all, to my stick, without who I would have fallen over many more times than I actually have, and who accompanies me on almost every cache.

Also thanks are due to all the soft mud that has cushioned my fall when I have lost my balance, to all the nettles that make caching in summer so much more exciting, to the brambles that clutch eagerly and lovingly at my trousers in the hope of tripping me over whether summer or winter, to the rain (and yesterday, snow) that helps keep me cool in winter, and the kindly sun that helps keep me warm in summer, to all the trees I've climbed for not dumping me unceremonoiusly on the ground, to all the holes I've descended into before wondering how I'd get out again, to the buildings I've climbed up onto and then wondered how on earth I was going to get down without breaking something, to my faithful rope for helping out of the previous two classes of near-disaster and to my flying helmet for shielding my head against many bumps on trees, branches and against lots of prickly things.

Apologies are also due for all the rude words I've uttered in moments of stress, to all the cache setters whose caches I've been unable to find, either through my own stupidity and blindness, or because I was the first cacher to visit them after they got muggled, to Paul for inflicting on him several incomprehensible songs from my mis-spent youth and to ladysolly for introducing her to geocaching.