Question for 60CSX users

rtreit

Quick newbie question for Garmin 60CSX users: do you find it preferable to send caches directly to the unit so they show up as "geocaches" (such as by using GSAK) or to send them as custom POIs using Garmin's POI Loader? My initial impression is that custom POIs are nice because they don't clutter up the map. But loading them as geocaches let's you see the exact coordinates and mark them as found, and so forth.

Is there a way to hide the waypoints/geocaches on the map until you want to see them?

Thanks,

rtreit

I have over 700 points already stored as POIs, which can make searching for the nearest cache a bit of a cluttered experience. As such, I just use GSAK to send them to my unit as caches. I like the fact that doing it this way automatically adds each found cache to my calender, so I always know what caches I've found when I get home.

I send them as geocaches via GSAK, so I can use the calender and the geocaching mode ("find next"). I also set it up to show the GC ID for the cache, the difficulty and terrain, the size and type of cache, and at least part of the hint right on the gps.

I use a PDA to hold the info from the cache pages, but having the basic info on the gps save me from having to look at the cache page as often during the hunt, and helps me decide in a snap if I want to go after that cache. ("Oh, it's a 4/3 and we only have a half hour before the park closes? Let's try another cache instead today and come back to that one when we have more time!")

I have the 950 nearest caches listed as geocache waypoints, and my own hides and all my found caches listed as POIs. That way I have all area caches on my unit when I go to hide a new cache and it helps me avoid most proximity issues.

I do know some people who use Malpas Wanderer's method to get the hints on the unit.

Edited by briansnat

I refresh my POI every month or two. I have many thousands of POI, but it's just a backup in case I'm impromptu caching away from home.

On a regular trip I download waypoints in the area I'm caching. I find it quicker with a shorter list. I hide the POI and just use them for a quick hint lookup in this case.

I never download them as geocaches as I use custom icons, so I can see cache type at a glance. POI use the same icons.

Map1.gif

You can hide POI by selecting a smaller Map Points range in the Map Setup screen. A similar thing can be done with waypoints.

I have over 700 points already stored as POIs, which can make searching for the nearest cache a bit of a cluttered experience. As such, I just use GSAK to send them to my unit as caches. I like the fact that doing it this way automatically adds each found cache to my calender, so I always know what caches I've found when I get home.

You could still use POI and send the found cache to your calendar.

When you view the POI info for the cache you want to find, scroll over and SAVE it. You can then Save that POI as a waypoint and assign it the closed chest icon. Then click the GO TO button. When the cache is found, click the FOUND button as you normally do.

I send the caches as waypoints, and the hints and additional waypoints (parking, trailheads, etc) as POIs.

Could you list the steps that you use to do this? This sounds like it would work very well for me. I hope I'm not asking too much.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

~Robert Frost

I send the caches as waypoints, and the hints and additional waypoints (parking, trailheads, etc) as POIs.

Could you list the steps that you use to do this? This sounds like it would work very well for me. I hope I'm not asking too much.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

~Robert Frost

Here's the method I used. It's really straightforward once you get everything you need installed. Sorry if these instructions are a bit verbose, but I figured it's better to err on the side of too much detail rather than not enough. I wouldn't use these instructions as a replacement for the great info in some of the other forum posts or on the GSAK site however. There's a ton of great info to be had.

Step 1: Install Garmin POI loader

1. Install Garmin POI Loader from here.

Step 2: Install GSAK and necessary macro:

1. Install GSAK

2. Fire it up.

3. Download the 60CSxPOI macro for GSAK to your computer and save it in some folder. Download link is here.

4. In GSAK, click Macro, then click Run/Manage.

5. On the Run Macro page, click Install.

6. Browse to the 60CSxPOI.gsk file you downloaded in step 3 and click Install.

7. Close the Run Macro window for now.

8. Click GPS and then click Setup

9. From the GPS brand drop-down, select Garmin

10. From the GPS Model drop-down, select GPSMAP 60CSx

11. Click OK

Step 3: Get the list of caches you want into GSAK

1. Run a pocket query for the caches you're interested in.

2. Once you get the results in e-mail, save the .gpx file that was sent to a folder on your computer.

3. In GSAK, click File and then click Load GPX/LOC/ZIP...

4. Browse to the .gpx file you saved in step 2 and click OK

5. On the Load Summary page, click OK

Step 4: Send the waypoints to your 60CSx

1. Connect your 60CSx to the computer with the USB cable and turn it on

2. In GSAK, click GPS, then click Send Waypoints

3. On the Send Waypoints to GPS page, click Send

The caches are now on your 60CSx as waypoints that will show up on the map as geocache symbols. On the 60CSx click Find > Geocache and you should see the list.

Step 5: Send custom POIs to your 60CSX

1. In GSAK, click Macro, then click Run/Manage.

2. On the Run Macro screen, select 60CSxPOI.gsk and click Run

3. Click Advanced Options and change the Folder to write POI files location to the folder you want the results to be sent to.

4. Click Return

5. For now, leave the rest of the defaults checked and click Continue

6. Start up Garmin POI Loader

7. Click Next

8. Select Garmin Device and click Next

9. Make sure that after a few seconds the Device drop-down shows GPSMapx60CSX and click Next

10. Select Install new custom POI's onto your device and click Next

11. Click Browse and browse to the location of the ouput from running the GSAK macro (the location selected in step 3). Click OK and then click Next

12. Click Finish after the POIs are sent to your device.

The caches are now on your 60CSx as custom POIs that will include cache details such as the decrypted hint, difficulty, short description, etc. On the 60CSx click Find > Custom Points of Interest and you should see the list. You'll typically see multiple listings for each cache, so you may need to read several screens to get the info you want. But it's great to be able to just have the 60CSx on you and still be able to get the hints. It's not true paperless caching I guess, but it comes pretty close.

For the last step, you can have GSAK run POI Loader for you in silent mode, but I haven't tried that out yet. Even using the manual steps above (once you're setup with the macro) only takes a couple minutes. And presumably this is something you'll only need to do when heading out to a new area or to refresh the cache list every few weeks.

Having tried it out, I agree with some of the other posters who suggested that having the caches as both waypoints and custom POIs is the way to go. When hunting the cache I use the waypoint (Find > Geocache on the unit) and then I fall back on the Custom POI if I need the hint or description. I don't typically import the logs but I can see where that could be really useful. Most of my DNFs have turned into finds after reading through the cache logs on my laptop back in the car or when I get home.

Hope this helps.

rtreit

I use some custom-written software to do the hints. But for the Additional Waypoints, I just open the files in G7ToWin (a free program), which will merge them together and strip out extraneous data. Then I save them as a single GPX file into the POI folder, replacing the previous AW file. This only take a few seconds. When I run the POI Loader, they get sent to the GPS.

i use the send to GPS on the cache page

How do I do this and how does it show up on my 60CSx?

I'm new to this (duh!)

Right now I'm just entering cache coordinates and naming it on the GPSr according to its GCxxxx file name here.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by daddysbike

I use EasyGps to send the Gpx file to my GPS. You can get this piece of software free through Groundspeak. It doesn't do anything fancy like GSAK, but it is easy. You open the file in EasyGPS and then send it to your GPS. It puts the files in as geocaches. I have a pda so I copy the GPX file into it and use GPX view to read the cache description, hints and the last five logs. I realize this takes to pieces of hardware, but since I already had the PDA I figure it will work good enough for me.

i use the send to GPS on the cache page

How do I do this and how does it show up on my 60CSx?

I'm new to this (duh!)

Right now I'm just entering cache coordinates and naming it on the GPSr according to its GCxxxx file name here.

Thanks,

Steve

Use your USB cable to connect the unit to your PC, and click the Send to GPS button on a cache page. You'll be asked to install the required browser plug-in, if you have not already.

It will show up as a waypoint.

I use EasyGps to send the Gpx file to my GPS. You can get this piece of software free through Groundspeak. It doesn't do anything fancy like GSAK, but it is easy. You open the file in EasyGPS and then send it to your GPS. It puts the files in as geocaches. I have a pda so I copy the GPX file into it and use GPX view to read the cache description, hints and the last five logs. I realize this takes to pieces of hardware, but since I already had the PDA I figure it will work good enough for me.

The newest version can also send the decrypted hints to the unit and can smartname the waypoints. Its growing up....

Our GPS receiver dates from before the "x" era, we have a Garmin 60CS. Does the 60CSxPOI also work for this GPS receiver? I tried it but apparently POILoader didn't recognize it, although it was well connected to the computer.

To make the macro work you have to have a model with a memory card. Thus the x for expandable memory.