2009 Great SA TB Race

cincol

As a side note to the 2 points per SA GC mile.

I keep track of my cache to cache distance. So far I have done around 11 000 km on 340 caches.

My brother in law visited Finland a few moths ago. In one week he added double that distance to his total distance.

The same will go for TB's.

I think under the current rules a TB leaving the country has a huge advantage over a TB which stays in the country.

Agree / Disagree / Thoughts?

There will be special incentives throughout the Race for TB's within SA. ie: Double points for a particular month, bonus points for a particular province, etc.

I agree that the incentives to stay in SA should outweigh border crossing points obtained by going to, say, the UK. I propose upping the points awarded for visiting all SA provinces to something like 75 or 100. As Anton pointed out, a bug going to the UK can get 45 points in one hop, while obtaining the provinces bonus involves some time/effort, so I feel is should be at LEAST 50.

Whatever the case, I think we need to finalise these details soon - I want to attach a little info card to my Racer with the rules on it before I mail it to cincol, which will need to happen soonish.

I agree that the incentives to stay in SA should outweigh border crossing points obtained by going to, say, the UK. I propose upping the points awarded for visiting all SA provinces to something like 75 or 100. As Anton pointed out, a bug going to the UK can get 45 points in one hop, while obtaining the provinces bonus involves some time/effort, so I feel is should be at LEAST 50.

Whatever the case, I think we need to finalise these details soon - I want to attach a little info card to my Racer with the rules on it before I mail it to cincol, which will need to happen soonish.

OK - for fairness as well as ease of administration the following will apply to any TB that travels internationally - irrespective of where it goes. The TB will ONLY score the border / bounday points for the country to country move and NOT the "borders" crossed en route. In other words SA to Australia will score the SAME as SA to Germany or SA to Namibia or Italy to UK - 3 points. The 2 countries involved will be the ones that determine the points and not the borders crossed. This will only apply to international moves. This will assist with keeping the SA incentives high.

Edited by cincol

Stupid question:

Extra 25 points for when visiting all 9 provinces.

When does Gauteng count as visited, since all TBs are starting here?

I would think they get a tick towards the 25 points only when they get back into Gauteng (thus they had to leave the province)

Gauteng is the province with the highest cache density and the most cachers - that is why I selected Gauteng as the starting point. The chances of a TB visiting another cache in Gauteng is HUGE so I would agree with you - the TB would need to visit at least 1 other cache in gauteng in order to qualify.

We've agreed to host the Event that will "kick-off" this exciting TB Race! Excuse the simple text format of the Event listing for now, but we'll update it with some pics when we get a gap this week. We just wanted to get the event published so that people had a chance to plan around it, etc. We will also sponsor a Geocoin as a prize at the end of the Race!!

Wrt the Event, we have not received many responses as yet. Wrt to the Race, I'm sure Cincol could give us an update, unless he's still waiting for info. to get through to him. We will enter a TB dog tag as well as a coin. We just need to get the two activated first, and will send the details to Cincol to add to the entrant list.

It's a pleasure about the prize geocoin at the end of the Race. We'll also have a "Lucky Draw" at the Event on Sunday, 31st May!! :D

Racer Update

I have 6 racers in my possession already. I have confirmation from another 8, so that is a total of 14 so far. I know of a few more that will only be "registered" at the start line on 31st. That is fine - we will accept all racers up until the end of the Event. Please feel free to bring your entrants to the starting line.

Hello all

I've been watching the development of the Great SA TB Race 2009 and would like to send a TB to join the race, if you're accepting overseas racers? :anitongue: It would be interesting to watch my TB move around SA.

Just let me know. If I get the OK from the Grand Ruler, Master and Emperor of the TB Race I will post an activated TB out to the address given in post #26.

Lucilla (MrsB)

............... if you're accepting overseas racers? :) It would be interesting to watch my TB move around SA.

ALL racers from anywhere in the world are welcome to participate as long as they are happy to be subjected to the rules that apply - the main one being that all racers will start from the same place. If anybody still wants to enter they are welcome. The more the merrier. :anitongue:

Edited by cincol

............... if you're accepting overseas racers? :lol: It would be interesting to watch my TB move around SA.

ALL racers from anywhere in the world are welcome to participate as long as they are happy to be subjected to the rules that apply - the main one being that all racers will start from the same place. If anybody still wants to enter they are welcome. The more the merrier. :)

I'll send a small, Welsh, newly activated 'something' within the next couple of days.

<MrsB ponders... sheep? daffodil? rugby ball? leek?... :anitongue: >

An update for those who are interested.

Our local resident geek - DamhuisClan [not me] - has procured a web page through the kind assistance of Crystal Fairy [who is now in New Zealand] and will be doing all sorts of funny and wonderful things with the statistics of all the racers once they get underway. WOW - this is really going to be an international affair with the web master in New Zealand, the administrator in Qatar and the statistician in South Africa!! :anitongue: And the racers will be going all over the country, and perhaps the world as well.

Hope to see a heap of you all at the Event when we see the racers off.

I'll send a small, Welsh, newly activated 'something' within the next couple of days.

<MrsB ponders... sheep? daffodil? rugby ball? leek?... :rolleyes: >

Rugby ball - the British & Irish Lions will be arriving shortly

How about some coal - ostrich feathers (your coat of arms are very South African) - the Jones' (you seem to have enough of them) - a Tom Jones CD (must pick those up really easily) - ...... looking forward to seeing the pics.

<MrsB ponders... sheep? daffodil? rugby ball? leek?... :rolleyes: >

Rugby ball - the British & Irish Lions will be arriving shortly

How about some coal - ostrich feathers (your coat of arms are very South African) - the Jones' (you seem to have enough of them) - a Tom Jones CD (must pick those up really easily) - ...... looking forward to seeing the pics.

I considered these options. Jones the Voice seems to be otherwise occupied until he comes over to UK on tour in October. I could've used one of his CDs but we don't have any in this house ;) . Coal - not much coal mining going on in Wales any more. What there is seems to be carved and polished into souvenir lumps. Now, ostrich feathers - We do have some ostriches a few miles from us, on a farm. We have honoured them by putting a cache on a hill overlooking their field - "Out of Africa" - the container is a fake ostrich egg. However, after I spent 3 hours yesterday evening chasing them around the Welsh countryside, I realised they weren't impressed with giving up any tail feathers. Luckily a local shop gave me a suitable alternative idea, so my TB has gone in the mail to cincol this morning. It should be with him in a week or so. ;) MrsB.

Welsh Rugby Union TB

90d8c1a2-4725-44bf-8028-ccb901c9a592.jpg

"Local is Lekker"

It is great to have participation from the four corners of the earth. The more the merrier.

As a local, I have decided to launch a TB with a very distinct SA flavour: Table Mountain, Big Five etc. I saw it recently in the shop at the Letaba camp in the Kruger Park and bought it as I thought it would be an ideal race contestant.

Let the lions roar and the race begin...

BruceTP

Oh WOW!! If we can say so on our behalf, the TB entrants are looking FANTASTIC!! We are still searching for a suitable bug to attach to our dog tag. Lots of tough competition, so we'll have to search long and hard!! All of this is making us very, very excited about this Race! Thanks again Cincol for initiating it! :)

I wanna enter but have no bugs.... am desperately wanting to get my Brrrrrrrr TB down in Durban to travel up to the Event so if anyone is in Durbs and going to GP. It is currently (I hope) sitting in Duck 'n Deck

Are sets of TB tags difficult to get hold of down there in S.A.? :)

If you're that desperate I have a couple of spare sets here... Could put them in the post for you, if you want?

MrsB

Only found out about the race recently and I'm quite excited to have my first entrants in a TB race. TB tags are on their way and should arrive tomorrow... speed services willing.

cincol - I'll email you as soon as I've posted them off to you.

Questions:

1. Is the first post being updated to show the most current rules?

2. Is there a list of current entrants anywhere?

3. Are there any specific guidelines or suggestions for the TB page of racing TB's over normal TB's?

Thanks

I wanna enter but have no bugs.... am desperately wanting to get my Brrrrrrrr TB down in Durban to travel up to the Event so if anyone is in Durbs and going to GP. It is currently (I hope) sitting in Duck 'n Deck

Hi Wazat

We have a spare TB tag for you. My brother is coming up next week, and if you can provide him the attachment of the TB, we can get it to the starting line for you. Let me know….

Any bugs "dipped" in and out of caches will forfeit those points. ie: NO dipping will be allowed at all. This also applies to multiple moves by any 1 cacher. A bug may only be moved ONCE by any cacher. An owner therefor may move his own bug, but only once.

This seems a bit restrictive, not to mention it may become an administrative nightmare to keep track of.

What if we keep the "No Dipping" rule, so that points are not scored for multiple moves by the same cacher, but if a cacher happens to come across the same TB in another cache and moves it again, those points are awarded, with a provision that multiple moves by the same 2 or more cachers may forfeit all points awarded if the administrator suspects a coordinated effort to unfairly gain points.

Our local resident geek - DamhuisClan [not me] - has procured a web page through the kind assistance of Crystal Fairy [who is now in New Zealand] and will be doing all sorts of funny and wonderful things with the statistics of all the racers once they get underway.

Do you have the website address?

Do you have the website address?

It will be hosted on the www.sageostats.co.za web site. It is almost ready for launch, but not quite there yet.

Hopefully I will get the last few racers details over the next week or so, and then we can launch the TB race web page from there.

Thanks. I'll bookmark it and keep and eye out. In the meantime, this site looks interesting. I've just sent an email to be added to the list.

If there are people who are entering the race, and I dont have your TB numbers, please send them off list to me, so I can add them to the web site. Hopefully we can then launch it in a weeks time, with all the racers listed. If there should be other's at the start line, I will add them in afterwards, so it is not a train smash.

If anyone has any suggestions on what could / should be added, would be interesting to see on the race pages. Please send me the suggestions.

As to the rules, that we will all find out from cincol once the race starts.

Hi Wazat

We have a spare TB tag for you. My brother is coming up next week, and if you can provide him the attachment of the TB, we can get it to the starting line for you. Let me know….

Thanks Redglobe.... Will you take it to the Event I will have someone deliver the Bug for me. Thanks.