2009 Great SA TB Race

cincol

Very interesting.... Love Bug is a natural... as the bug has a heart in every picture.... mmm

wazat - don't push your luck too far with that one - I won't buy it!! :D

Well as you are aware it is probably gone into retirement anyway, might as well remove the heart and just call it a bug from now on.... :D:D:(

JANUARY SCORES

INTERNATIONAL RACERS

1. Cacheachu

2. besem's Purple Dragon

3. JustinDett's Tools of the Trade Geocoin

4. 2009 SA Bug Racer - Capital TB

5. The gold diggers free state Ferrari

6. 2009 SA TB Rac - SA World Cup

7. Arwen's Blin Bling Mini Cooper

8. 2009 Great SA TB Race - Flags of the World Post Card

9. Travel in Style

10. Leopardo [has been marked as being MIA]

SA RACERS

1. Sir Henry Morgan Pirate of the Caribbean

2. DiePienaars N.Ireland Racing Coin

3. Love Bug

4. Vakeshele

5. Zulu Love Letter TB

6. Pongo the Racing Dalmation

7. 2009 Great SA TB Race ~ The Big Five

8. Bruce TP's 2009 SA Race Medallion

9. Bouncing Smilie TB

10. Priceless Geocaching

PHOTO OF THE MONTH = Vakashele

FURTHEREST TRAVELED Bonus Winners

Overseas = Cacheachu

Local = Blue Bulls TB

Could you show the photo of the month

Thx

Some more photo nominations for February:

2c697c46-6e66-4fee-8d6b-2b456e3b0d92.jpg

Cachechu - photo taken by Tigu717

Nice to see the Wild Dog, all sleepy by the fence!

64c71fcb-1eaf-46ed-9650-efc389f5e47a.jpg

Hello Mr Gorilla...posing so nicely for the photo!

a50c4e16-f178-4c99-9456-b0c40051a68f.jpg

Now this is an animal you don't see often, especially not during the day!

39863ceb-ece0-4f7c-89d3-6cf8fab4ff7e.jpg

Nice one with two of our national symbols - the springbok and the blue crane!

More nominations for Feb:

ae547217-dabb-4564-a064-e5f1bede2fbd.jpg

2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB (ZA - KZN) - photo taken by Ysbeer

We absolutely LOVE this one with the "Ysbeer" himself! Too cute!

1ccbc433-1764-47ba-893f-29b9bc32303a.jpg

The Love Bug - photo taken by Wazat

Brilliant!! Baby Love Bug meets long lost Daddy Love Bug!!

832fb8b8-a88c-4661-80fa-f8ea36ede3b5.jpg

Nice one of the old sign, not many of those around anymore.

a32e9d7d-8b46-4f88-b72e-7145ed1b4f5e.jpg

Good shot! Great idea!

87b77b21-29f0-45cb-bd02-8cb871a80c14.jpg

Enjoyed this one with so much achievement in it - Congrats on this FTF!

3b447287-2748-490a-b5d2-8db9a5043886.jpg

We really thought this was VERY creative! We loved it - well done!

Another Feb nomination:

At last, with the help of tb-rescue, my TB is seeing a bit of action for a change.

Thanks for the nomination.

I echo the sentiment on the footprints in the sand nomination. It is indeed very creative and well thought out.

Thanks guys that was just me been sentimental on a beach that meant something to me.... Sigh

Thanks guys that was just me been sentimental on a beach that meant something to me.... Sigh

Ok, so you want to get sentimental, let us see who can write an apt epithet to the picture.

Here is my contribution:

This love, like the imprint in the sand

Will fade with the passing tide in time,

To be remembered only by the fading ink

Of an image captured on a yellowing page.

FINAL PRIZES FOR 2009 GREAT SA TB RACE

As the race is all about traveling and because we have no less than 6 [six] unactivated geocoins as prizes the individuals who donated the coins along with the administrator(s) we have come up with the following categories that will be awarded prizes at the final prize-giving event that will be held either late July or early August.

[As soon as I have my flights booked I will let GEP936 know and then the arrangements for the Event will be finalized. The venue has already been scouted and the planning has started. There will also be a number of other prizes up for grabs at the event as well.]

This race has developed into 2 "independent" races with no less than 19 racers being "international" - in other words outside Southern Africa. With that in mind we have decided to award prizes so that the "local" participants can also be eligible to win as well.

Cat 1 - TB that traveled the furthest. [international]

Cat 2 - TB that traveled the furthest. [southern Africa]

Cat 3 - TB that earned the most bonus points. [international]

Cat 4 - TB that earned the most bonus points. [south Africa]

Cat 5 - TB that was the most "unlucky" during the race. [A kind of wooden spoon? Excluding MIA's.]

Cat 6 - TB that visited the most countries.

As you can see the "bonus points" also have a role to play as well as distance traveled. Participants can start speculating about who and which TB will qualify for which category but I can assure you there will be some surprises at the finish line! B) I am sure that this will encourage some of us to egg our TB's on to greater heights.

Happy caching and good luck with the downhill run to the finish now. :)

FEBRUARY SCORES

INTERNATIONAL RACERS

1. Cacheachu

2. besem's Purple Dragon

5. Travel in Style

6. The gold diggers free state Ferrari

7. 2009 SA TB Race - SA World Cup

8. Arwen's Blin Bling Mini Cooper

9. 2009 Great SA TB Race - Flags of the World Post Card

SA RACERS

2. DiePienaars N.Ireland Racing Coin

3. Love Bug

4. Vakeshele

5. Pongo the Racing Dalmation

6. 2009 Great SA TB Race ~ The Big Five

7. Bruce TP's 2009 SA Race Medallion

8. 2009 SA TB Race - Big Five

10. Bouncing Smiley

PHOTO OF THE MONTH = Love Bug

Whew ... updated the race pages.

Sorry it took to long, but have been busy with other things, and forgot that cincol sent me the spreadsheet.

Updated the scores for Feb

Updated the time line thingy at the top.

Updated the bonus points for March (and Feb).

Updated the winning photo for Feb.

I am glad to see we will make the distance to the moon, with the TBs in this race. I was hoping for 1.25 at the beginning of the race, but I doubt we will reach that.

How your life change when you enter a TB Race:

In September 2009 my F2007 Ferrari Racing TB was placed in a multicache in Cullinan, Diggers Treasure (GC1RD8D). By the way, this cache is really worth adding to your list of caches to do.

Because only certain geocachers enjoy multicaches, I was scared that the TB would get stuck there. With the help of MeganZA as well as my one opportunity to move the TB according to the race rules, I got my TB unstuck and moved it to the Lanseria TB Motel (GC1B6EW) on 18 October 2009. At the time it seemed like a good plan as the cache is situated near an airport and surely it would help to get the TB moving again.

On 30 October 2009 the listing showed a log indicating that 2 TB’s were removed from the cache. My – “Aha! – the plan is coming together” soon turned to “AHGHG!” as the TB log never arrived. After making enquiries from other cachers logging their finding of the cache I verified that the TB was no longer in the cache. My e-mails to the cacher that I thought grabbed the TB also did not turn up anything. :(

Just as I was about contact Peter to list the TB as MIA, out of the blue I receive an e-mail on 9 February 2010 in which the unfortunate fellow cacher explained the embarrassing fact that his caching bag was lost and that he only found it after 3 months.

On Valentine’s day my TB resumed the race in Need and Iron Horse (GC1XCZQ) in Mpumalanga with a public apology by the cacher in question. By the way, this cache is situated at a very interesting geographical point in South Africa.

In the mean time I have noticed that Fish Eagle has picked up the racer and that it visited the Ermelo caching event (GC24H9X) over the week-end. I must say it is a great honour for me that my TB is passing through the hands of a famous geocacher like Fish Eagle. :( Thank you to GerhardoosMPsa who has picked the TB up and will help it to gain some distance. :)

It is probably experiences like this that make TB racing fun (I think). However, this is my first experience of his nature; I must say I am still recovering from the trauma and the frustration caused by waiting for my racer to show up again while struggling with the decision whether to throw in the towel and list the TB as MIA (I don’t think the grey hair I got will ever recover). :D

If my TB makes it to the end (touch wood) it will surely be one of the luckiest TB’s in the race!! My fingers are crossed and I know my TB will in the last few months of the race put in an effort that is worthy of a racing machine of this caliber!! :huh:;)

JPMZA - a great story. You have given me an idea now. I know that there are a few more great stories attached to the race that can be shared here with everyone. Please post YOUR story and share with the rest of the readers.

My racer - cincol's 2009 Great SA TB Race Travel Bug - got off to a flying start by visiting 3 provinces within the first 2 weeks of the race. :D It was then placed in Pretoria TB Hotel where it lounged around for 3 months. This was surprising for me as the TB Hotel is a popular resort with a fair turnover of guests. It was eventually picked up again and I was elated - it was finally on the move again! Disappointment - as it was deposited back into the same cache again! :( Then along came our great Space Cadet who moved it to its current location on 26 September 2009 - a cache at the top of a mountain in the Eastern Free State [GC1TP9R - The Boot] that has only ever had 2 visitors! The FTF and then our Space Cadet himself. The tag clearly states that the TB is in a race and then gets placed in the greatest prison in the Free State! :wub:

And it is still enjoying the great views from the top of the mountain after having spent 3 seasons there already! Long live our Space Cadet!

More nominations....

BruceTP's Medallion photo taken by besem

What a beautiful photo! We love the way the medallion is reflecting so perfectly against the beautiful and scenic background. We have no idea how you manage to have everything in focus! Well done!

a009791a-97bd-47ee-8639-aad02f12356d.jpg

Photo nominations....continued.

Bouts, buddy, you look absolutely GORGEOUS!! We are sooooo impressed that you still fit into your old SAPS uniform, even after 20 years!! WOW, thanks sooooo much for putting it on for us - it really does suit you. But we know the challenges that come with it are not very nice! Thanks for making the effort - we LOVE this pic!! :laughing: (We really do mean it!).

34950e33-610c-4ca9-9f3f-c3bd39a5f6e5.jpg

APRIL BONUS POINTS

I'm feeling generous this month and after all it is Easter as well.

30 points for any TB that is photographed AT A CACHE LOCATION being held by a CHILD who is eating and Easter Egg!! How is that for a nice little challenge.

20 points for any TB that visits a cache with the name EASTER / BUNNY / EGG in the name.

MARCH SCORES

INTERNATIONAL RACERS

1. Cacheachu

2. besem's Purple Dragon

5. Travel in Style

6. The gold diggers free state Ferrari

7. 2009 SA TB Race - SA World Cup

8. Arwen's Blin Bling Mini Cooper

9. 2009 Great SA TB Race - Flags of the World Post Card

SA RACERS

2. Love Bug

3. DiePienaars N.Ireland Racing Coin

4. Zulu Love Letter

5. Bruce TP's 2009 SA Race Medallion

6. Vakeshele

7. Pongo the Racing Dalmatian

8. 2009 SA TB Race - Big Five

9. Bouncing Smiley

10. Green JAM's Caching Time

Edited by cincol

*MrsB makes a slightly pathetic small sigh, which deserves just a small dose of sympathy*

After doing a bit of emailing, I discovered that my Welsh Rugby Union racer wasn't in the Pirate Ship cache in New Zealand but it had been picked up by a cacher who hadn't got round to logging it out of the cache. I explained about the race and the extra points available during March... he was apologetic for having mislaid it in his bag and promised he'd do something to ensure it got a few extra points.

"Great!", I thought.

What happens?

Good to his word, he's done a funny photo of the TB with some "police" but the log is dated 1st April!

smi20.gif

OK... I feel better now...

MrsB

P.S. Did I also mention he's dropped it off into quite a complicated puzzle cache? :laughing:

You've got to laugh... haven't you? :anicute:

Photo of the Month Winner - March 2010

34950e33-610c-4ca9-9f3f-c3bd39a5f6e5.jpg

Good one... But now it makes me realise I have somewhere misplaced Love Bug's picture with a Policeman.... I have no idea what happened to it... I have searched high and low and it is gone. Oh boy. There was one with a police car too... but I think that is up. mmm Need to find out what happened there. :):D:sad:

Scores for March are up. Winning photo added, Race progress bar updated.

The issue with the KML files (View in Google Earth) seems to be that one needs to be logged in to receive the files. As the race site does not have a valid user on GC.com, it can no longer get the files to find out where the traveller is, not calculate the distance. So that side of the pages no longer works.

I also picked up a problem where the KML file from Geo936 comes down empty, even if I am logged in. This made me decide to rather remove the code which parses the KML file.

Its a great pitty, as I liked seeing where the little travellers were.